Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding at 13 months - how to wean or reduce bfeeding??

(6 Posts)
cakefrenzy Wed 24-Nov-10 13:06:04

I have been bfing my little one for 13 months now.
He has never had any other milk - so far he has not taken cow's milk or flavoured milk or formula.
I have not really persevered with dairy milk as yet but am willing to try,

In the last month he went off food as he was unwell but he usually eats very well too.

He still wakes in the early hours for a bf. So when he is with me the longest stretch without a feed is 5 hours?

At nursery he will only take water but eats well.

How do I stop bfing him? Or drop bfeeds?

So far he still bfeeds around 5-6 times a day - he bf's to go to sleep too. He bfeeds for a long time too.

I have found bfing exhausting, and intend to look for some paid employment after Christmas so I am interested in any strategies to either reduce bfing or stop it completely.

Any advice?

He is a big fella too.

Omarama Wed 24-Nov-10 13:15:25

Bump

Odysseus Wed 24-Nov-10 17:18:02

Hi my DS is 12 months and I have been introducing cows milk since 6 months, with a view to giving up bf at a year. In the last couple of days I have dropped his penultimate feed (the morning one) and give him a beaker of half cows half formula. He still has a feed before bed, which I'll give up in a few weeks.

I dropped the morning feed when the morning before last he just wasn't interested, and I thought, maybe this is a sign. I think the next day he would have fed, but I thought "No, go for it! Now's the time to drop it"...

Hard decision though, but with all his feeds so far I've followed him and not pushed him to feed when he's not interested.

I'd start introducing a beaker of cows milk during the day.

Good luck!

cakefrenzy Wed 24-Nov-10 17:57:49

Thank you - to date he has not taken any cows milk (unless it is mixed in with his food). I have not forced the issue though.

AngelDog Wed 24-Nov-10 22:38:33

I'd wait till the 13 month sleep regression is over before trying to mess with nights.

here and here

cakefrenzy Thu 25-Nov-10 06:45:03

ok - thank you after reading the links I now think my baby has been on one long 13 month sleep regression. He has never slept through.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: