Talk

Advanced search

Cant express.. Formula?

(21 Posts)
rpickett Tue 23-Nov-10 22:36:23

Help needed please?

I bought a stupidly expensive breastpump (after pressure from my DM so she can babysit in future) and I hate it, it's an electric one but it hurts my nipples to use and I can't get more then 2oz out of my breast, buying another pump isn't an option due to the amount I have already spent on this one.

I am happy to just feed DD myself so it isn't a huge issue but I have a hospital appointment for DS1 in a couple of weeks and have asked my mum to watch DS2 and DD as I have to get the bus to the hospital which is an hours ride on a horrible road then a taxi, plus I'm not sure how long we would be there for and didn't want to risk DS2 getting bored.

I could take DD with me as well but that would mean taking a pram which is almost impossible on the bus as they are the old style with steps and a bar making it too narrow to get past with it.

Can anyone advise on any tips to express (I have trouble hand expressing also) or would it really make a difference to use formula for one or two feeds,eg will it destroy my supply?

MarmaladeNPie Tue 23-Nov-10 22:40:12

Be relaxed.

Have DD nearby.

Use hottish flannels before and during expressing by hand.

Does the pump hurt on it's lowest setting? I have worked with mum's who have found the best was the Medela Mini electric which isn't very expensive.

MarmaladeNPie Tue 23-Nov-10 22:40:43

Oh and 1 mum i know could only express well when in the bath.

rpickett Tue 23-Nov-10 22:47:25

Can I ask about hand expressing also (dont know if I'm going to be doing it wrong) how you get it into the bottle/storage pot surely it would go in every direction? (or is my aim just crap?)

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 23-Nov-10 22:50:24

RP how old is the little one?

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 23-Nov-10 22:51:13

Can you borrow a sling instead of taking the pram and take dd with you?

nearlytoolate Tue 23-Nov-10 22:53:27

I found I could only express when I was feeding from the other breast, and only about an ounce at a time. But I did manage to accumulate enough for the odd feed doing it that way.
But, tbh, it was such a hassle that I look back now and wonder what on earth I was thinking! It really won't be a problem for either your baby or you to skip a feed occasionally.

festivefriedawhingesagain Tue 23-Nov-10 22:53:37

Maybe try a funnel or express into a clean bowl - no rule that says you need to express directly into a bottlesmile

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 23-Nov-10 22:55:34

I agree with nearly, I went to the dentist having expressed for a friend to feed her, she screamed blue murder and refused the bottle - I was away for 1.5hrs and she was fine, survived and I fed her when I got back grin

tempertemper Tue 23-Nov-10 22:55:52

I literally couldn't get a drop to begin with, for at least the first 3 or 4 weeks. I found it helped to keep trying, at about the same time each day. It was almost like my body came to "expect" it and in the end I could express 3 or 4 oz, although it took a good 15 minutes pumping away to get it.

Being relaxed and having my baby/or a pitcure of her helped a great deal but in the beginning, I couldn't even express from the other side when I was actually feeding her! Keep practising, it really is a knack some have to learn.

(I used a medela electric by the way).

Having said that, one or two formula feeds (if it is just that) won't undermine your feeding as a one off. But it depends on whether you subscribe to the "virgin gut" theory of exclusive breastfeeding or not(I read it takes 4 weeks of exclusive breastfeeding for the gut to recover its original bacterial balance after a formula feed).

everybodysgotone Tue 23-Nov-10 23:00:31

I could only ever express about 2 ounces at a time, but if I did it first thing in the morning before feeding DD I could get maybe 3-4 ounces. But never more than this, and it all ended up down the sink anyway as DD refused to take a bottle.

Could you express 2 ounces a couple of times a day and freeze it so you build up a bit of a supply in the freezer? If you did this every day for 2 weeks you'd have 56 ounces!

rpickett Tue 23-Nov-10 23:03:15

Sorry I forgot to say DD is only 2 weeks old at the moment, the hospital appointment isn't for another 2 weeks yet but just trying to solve an issue before it arises.
I have a sling but I'm really not convinced it's safe as its one like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Freedom-Baby-Sling-Trave l-Beastfeeding-Sleep-/280591355001?pt=UK_Baby_Carr iers&var=&hash=item870b6e9aff

Looking to buy a moby wrap soon as I have the spare money though.

MumNWLondon Tue 23-Nov-10 23:11:58

Either take baby with in sling (def leave DS2 with your mum though) or try expressing when you feel fullest, ie take 1oz from the fullest side before you feed. At 4 weeks you only need to leave 4oz so just do that 4 times. If you feed just before you leave and leave 4oz in a bottle you have 4-5 hours before you need to be back.

If you do 1oz at a time you can add to the freezer stash. Also try breast compression to improve yield.

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 23-Nov-10 23:12:13

P its really normal at this age to not get much by expressing, as lo is so young I would advise against expressing. Just carry babe if you need to. Can someone come with you to the appt and hold baby if needed?

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 23-Nov-10 23:14:41

Mum at this age and before 6 weeks feeding from a bottle isn't recommended. As for oz by oz most mums will not get enough for a feed by expressing and actually it makes them worry about not having enough milk. It isn't helpful.

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 23-Nov-10 23:16:40

PS the sling looks perfectly fine smile
(student HV btw)

ClimberChick Wed 24-Nov-10 03:59:49

Just another voice repeating that LO only needs 1oz/per hr that you'll be away, so really won't take long (a couple of sessions) to get enough. This will prob be more than she needs at this age.

The issue of expressing in the early days in that lead to overproduction, but if you're only getting a few oz's and not building up a massive freezer stash, then I wouldn't worry.

MoonUnitAlpha Wed 24-Nov-10 12:09:42

I didn't get on with expressing either, and I started giving occasional bottles of formula when I needed to be away from 4 weeks. Used breastflow bottles and haven't had any issues with supply or nipple confusion. It's never been more than a couple of bottles of formula a week.

JustOneMorePlease Wed 24-Nov-10 12:21:12

Like others have suggested either leave ds2 with your mum and take dd or why don't you all go including dm.

Then if he does get bored she can take him for a walk or to the cafe and have baby when you are in the appt. Just having an extra pair of hands with pram and kids will make thing sooooooo much easier and eliminate the feeding problem.

browniebear Thu 25-Nov-10 10:51:17

I did the same thing then found expressing by hand was a lot more comfortable and more productive. good luck

pescatore Fri 26-Nov-10 09:45:46

Try putting the pump on the lowest setting and put lansinoh on your nipples before expressing. My lactation consultant suggested this for me and it worked a treat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now