Talk

Advanced search

1 bottle feed a day before 6 weeks and breast rejection

(9 Posts)
nappyaddict Tue 23-Nov-10 20:35:49

How old was your baby when you started giving EBM and did it lead it to them preferring the bottle to the breast?

Lubymum Tue 23-Nov-10 21:20:28

Expressed at 6 weeks and now give a bottle every 3 days or so. No problems with rejection of breast. My baby seems to like milk from any source and indeed tries to suckle her toy rabbit, dads arm etc!! Some friends have had problems with babies refusing bottle if haven't given one for a few weeks so try to give an expressed bottle at least once a week (just a suggestion - every baby is different). Good luck

MumNWLondon Tue 23-Nov-10 21:54:28

I gave Ds2 one a week or so and it was fine, he took the bottle but preferred the breast. But with DS1 had one a day from 4 months and very quickly rejected the breast.

nappyaddict Tue 23-Nov-10 21:58:18

MumNWLondon Was DS1 awake when he had his bottle a day or was it for a dream feed?

MumNWLondon Tue 23-Nov-10 23:21:18

He was 4 months old and was waking up 2 hourly in the night (has previously slept all night), and feeding 2 hourly in day, several weeks past so rulesd out straight growth spurt. I bf on demand in the day but gave a bottle of formula in the evening to try and get him to at least have one good stretch in the night. Feeds were always very quick he could never really be bothered to suck for long even as newborn wouldn't suck for more than 5-7 mins on each side, although could latch on well and put weight on well.

I gave him the bottle between 10-11pm. So ideally it would have been a dream feed but he generally woke up demanding (bed at 6pm, another feed at 8pm etc. He was very sleepy/drowsy though. We started on 5oz but got cross when it was finished and within 2 weeks was draining 10oz bottle(!) and loosing interest in breastfeeds (ie refusing to suck for more than the easy milk and then getting super excited when he saw his bottle.

I think this behaviour is not very common, but just wanted to post as it can happen.

nappyaddict Wed 24-Nov-10 00:02:19

I read (on kellys mom I think) that growth spurts usually only last 2-3 weeks at the most but can go on up to 8 weeks!! I wish that was publicised more cos so many people don't know that.

jandmmum Wed 24-Nov-10 03:58:05

interesting nappy addict I thought they generally only lasted few days. It's important to know if there is a sudden increase in feeding that it can be growth spurt so you don't start worrying about supply.

BaggedandTagged Wed 24-Nov-10 05:24:34

I first gave EBM at 4 weeks (now 10 wks)- prob about 5/6 feeds a week and no more than 1 per day. Sometimes go for a few days without an expressed feed. Have also given the odd bottle of formula when I havent been organised enough to express or havent been able to express enough. Hasnt made an difference to bf that I can tell.

I use a medela bottle with slow flow teat.

mousesma Wed 24-Nov-10 19:40:13

First gave a bottle of EBM at 3 weeks (now 19 weeks). DD had 1 bottle of EBM a day most days until 16 weeks. At 16 weeks I introduced an bottle of FF at 7pm each day. Then at 18 weeks I added a second bottle of FF at midday. I've not seen any effect on supply as yet but thats possibly because I'm still doing at least 2 night feeds at night.

We use Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature bottles with the slow flow teat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: