Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis - to feed or not to feed? Advice needed asap please

(13 Posts)
InTheZenGarden Mon 22-Nov-10 17:48:30

I have the beginnings of mastitis, have antibiotics for it, wondering if I should be feeding DS from that breast? Or just expressing? If expressing, do I chuck the milk? GP didn't seem too sure, said it was up to me hmm
Advice appreciated asap please, as the boob's getting full! grin

thisisyesterday Mon 22-Nov-10 17:51:04

yes, feed, feed, feed! tis the best thing for it

pud1 Mon 22-Nov-10 17:51:09

i tried to feed but dd would not latch as boob was too full. expressing worked for me. cant remember if i dumped it. savoy cabbage also worked....
hope someone with more help comes along

TooBlessed Mon 22-Nov-10 17:51:10

hi ,i had mastitis too,i did both,breastfeed and express because thats what my doc recommended and the baby had no problems with the milk,my doc told me that it was the breast with a problem not the milk and when i breastfed it seemed to make the pain less,hope you get better soon,,

RubyBuckleberry Mon 22-Nov-10 17:51:11

feed him. if he doesn't sufficiently soften/drain the breast, you can express, but in the first instance feed feed feed.

here

RubyBuckleberry Mon 22-Nov-10 17:51:42

def no prob baby having the milk

Ilovemangoes Mon 22-Nov-10 17:51:59

Feed! You may need to try a different position if it is uncomfortable, but carry on feeding as normal.

TooBlessed Mon 22-Nov-10 17:52:25

no need to chuck the milk..unless you want to or you think your baby is not happy with it...

tiktok Mon 22-Nov-10 17:56:37

Shocking that the GP didn't know - and didn't know that not breastfeeding is the very last thing you should do

There's a good leaflet at www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk which you could print out and let your GP read.

NoTeaForMe Mon 22-Nov-10 18:04:49

I was told by my dr to express and throw the milk but the health visitor and breastfeeding counsellor I saw the following few days were horrified at this and told me to keep feeding off that side.

Apparently the taste can change slightly and some
babies can reject it so I guess in this case you'd need to express and throw it?!

Hope that helps, I feel for you, mastitis really knocked me for six.

InTheZenGarden Mon 22-Nov-10 18:47:06

Thank you all
Feeding actually takes some of the pain away, so shall continue
In defense of GP, he said I could bf or express, whichever was easiest and least painful. He certainly wasn't advising me to leave the boob full!

Jacanne Mon 22-Nov-10 18:48:47

I've had it recently - I just fed from the affected side as much as possible, massaged while I was feeding, took warm baths and paracetamol - it went in a couple of days though I did feel rubbish and headachey for about 3 - hope you feel better soon.

InTheZenGarden Mon 22-Nov-10 19:03:25

I hadn't realised how unwell it would make me feel - fluey, headachey, feverish ... :-(
Paracetamol helps a lot, GP said to wait 24 hours before getting antibiotics as it may have resolved on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now