Talk

Advanced search

Breastpump hygiene

(10 Posts)
AngelDog Mon 22-Nov-10 08:34:25

I ought to know thisblush - but is it enough to put your pump in the dishwasher once a day (if stored in the fridge between times)? I've not been sterilising it.

Would it matter much if it was a bit longer between washing it? It goes in the dishwasher every time it goes on, which is most days, but not always every 24 hours.

DS is nearly 11 m.o.

Bumperlicious Mon 22-Nov-10 08:47:02

That would be fine IMO. Mine was washed and sterilised yesterday morning & I am about to use it again.

AngelDog Mon 22-Nov-10 09:20:29

Thanks, Bumper.

PelvicFloorTrauma Mon 22-Nov-10 09:29:14

I was paranoid and washed the washable bits after every use in hot soapy water and then sterilised them too!! But then I was pumping only when my baby was between 0 and 4 months.

PelvicFloorTrauma Mon 22-Nov-10 09:29:27

I was paranoid and washed the washable bits after every use in hot soapy water and then sterilised them too!! But then I was pumping only when my baby was between 0 and 4 months.

tanmu82 Mon 22-Nov-10 11:32:03

so are you saying you don't need to sterilise after every use? I have been doing this and it is a pain as I am pumping a few times a day to increase supply in left breast which DD2 doesn't seem to like as much....

japhrimel Mon 22-Nov-10 11:46:53

Sterilisation isn't needed with breastmilk alone as it has antibacterial and antiviral properties (formula doesn't plus contains bacteria from the start).

Hot soapy water and air drying or using a dishwasher should be fine.

AngelDog Mon 22-Nov-10 15:48:18

That's what I thought.

tanmu82, as I understand it, there's now a focus on washing with hot water rather than sterilising, which is apparently what at least some SCBUs in hospitals do. There have been a number of threads on here about it IIRC.

theborrower Mon 22-Nov-10 18:49:45

When we were pumping up to 8 times a day, the BF clinic told us that pumps don't need sterilised after every use, which made things easier for us. We were told to wash out in hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly and air dry after each use, and sterilising once a day was fine.

tanmu82 Tue 23-Nov-10 12:51:25

wow, that makes such a difference time-wise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now