Talk

Advanced search

9 months and having awful time

(6 Posts)
Fibilou Sun 21-Nov-10 22:18:22

DD has always fed really well, slept really well etc. I went back to work last week which seems to have coincided with a growth spurt. On the days I work I only feed her in the morning and in the evenings/overnight. She nurses almost all evening and it's still not enough. She has fed repeatedly this evening and has just drained a load of cows milk.

I used to have an abundant supply of milk but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Expressing is not increasing it. I don't know what to do.

FYI my work pattern is

Mon - 8am - 6pm
Tues - off
Weds 8am - 2pm
Thus noon - 6pm
Fri noon - 6pm
weekend off

ClimberChick Mon 22-Nov-10 02:38:29

Do you express while you're at work

I would/do let DD have unlimited access when I'm at home (and I'm out 9-6 Mon-Fri) which means feeding at least every 3 hours. During the day she is given 1 3oz EBM, 3 meals, 1 snack of a slice of toast plus extra fruit snacks to distract her until I get in. Saying that 2x3oz is what she's probably naturally take, but it's less expressing for me.

By 9 months, supply is steadier and also a bit more stubborn to increase so it just may take longer to see changes. I would express same time each day. plus squeeze in extra ones if you're worried. If it's just a spurt, then her intake will decrease again afterwards, so it's not like you need to sustain an increased supply.

I express once at work now and get 5/6oz.

Also DD would drink loads during the day if we let her. So she's just not offered it.

ClimberChick Mon 22-Nov-10 02:39:00

sorry that's probably not much help, but I weren't really sure what you were after so just ramblings random stuff to you

ClimberChick Mon 22-Nov-10 02:39:57

also (last one) maybe she's using you more for comfort as she's at a clingy stage and is aware that you're not always there.

Fibilou Mon 22-Nov-10 08:49:29

I did wonder that CC - said as much to DH the other day. I do express at work but only once, so am going to try expressing 3 times today just to stimulate milk production

Fibilou Mon 22-Nov-10 16:26:52

Bumping in the hope that Tiktok might give me some advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now