Talk

Advanced search

green poo!

(7 Posts)
Stilsmiling Sat 20-Nov-10 23:09:24

Any ideas what could be causing 4 week old dd poo to turn from yellow to green/frothy/mucusy in the last 2 days? Had been feeding every 2-3 hours up until then and sleeping in between but now is passing a lot of wind, just cat napping and feeding more often.

MrsBuble Sat 20-Nov-10 23:15:40

Theres a variety of reasons. The ones I've been told are too much fore milk, teething (but its a 4 week old so probably not!) and may be slightly unwell.

As its mucusy your DC may have a slight cold as they will be swallowing their mucus.
Call up your HV and check, but I have asked my nurse and HV in the past and have been reassured its nothing to worry about.

ZombiePlanB Sun 21-Nov-10 07:43:55

Ds2 had green poo when I ate any dairy. Just reading up about Nanny milk now!

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 21-Nov-10 07:50:35

Some babies do just have green poo sometimes. If the baby is otherwise fine then it isn't a problem.

elvisgirl Sun 21-Nov-10 10:02:32

If you feel babe would be more comfortable with "regular" poo then you could try measures for imbalance of fore/hindmilk, which are pretty easy - provided you are confident in your supply given that babe is still very young. Try the kellymom website for info. If it is this then there should be some change after a day & you can see if going back to previous feeding is ok. & if it this then at this early stage it's likely to be a change in your supply composition-wise due to maybe a bit of a growth spurt, babe's sucking technique or just your milk changing to meet babe's requirements, which is absolutely fine. It will probably go away on it's own within a few days even if you do nothing.

stickersarecurrency Sun 21-Nov-10 10:45:08

In my case it's oversupply which causes green poo, but there can be lots of causes most of which aren't significant. You do need to take a little bit of care that you've got the right problem because addressing oversupply means reducing your milk production. La Leche has good info on this on their website, as does Kellymom. If your baby is gaining very well, chokes at letdown, seems gassy and uncomfortable and your breasts often feel full or engorged then oversupply's likely and block nursing will resolve it, although IME it takes a few days to really help.

Stilsmiling Sun 21-Nov-10 17:34:20

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now