Talk

Advanced search

Should I stop BF to get pregnent? (And other BF queries!)

(3 Posts)
mazfah Fri 19-Nov-10 16:31:15

Bit of background...

Ds is 15 months, PFB, fed to sleep, fed when he's ill, fed when he bumps his head (much to the horror of in-laws et al).

It wasn't always like this but in October he got really poorly and we went from a morning and evening feed to feeding all the time.

Now, I don't mind the frequency of BF (but I am aware he's not eating as many solids) BUT I'm horribly broody. Been TTC for 6 months and beginning to think if I stop BF it will increase my chances. DS was a 'lucky' baby after an uncertain fertility future, so even if I stop BF there are no guarantees I'll get pregnant anyway. Not sure if I'd feel guilty if I stopped BF which we both enjoy and then failed to get pregnant.

Just wondered if anyone has any stories or experiences to share?

TIa

EauRouge Fri 19-Nov-10 16:46:48

I got pregnant whilst BF and II'm still BF DD. It took around 6-8 months of trying. I don't know whether it was coincidence but as soon as she was night-weaned (at about 19 mo) I became pregnant the next month. When DD was conceived it was first go.

Kellymom has some good info on BF and fertility and there is a support thread here which might help you a bit as well.

TruthSweet Fri 19-Nov-10 18:02:40

I haven't had fertility probs but with DD1 (DC1) it took 5 cycles to get pg though I obviously wasn't bfing at that point.

I got pg with DD2 when DD1 was 11.5 m/o (first cycle of trying) I was still bfing very frequently. We were planning to night wean so I could get pg but was already pg when we NW.

I tandem fed DD1 & DD2 and started having periods again at 11 months pp. I got pg on what would have been the 3rd cycle pp with DD3 (was the 1st cycle of trying and only once at thatblush) so DD1 was about 33m/o and DD2 was about 13m/o and still night bfeeding (she stopped at 16m/o). I tandem fed DD1 & DD2 til 8m pg when DD1 self weaned.

The thing I found to be instrumental with regards to periods returning for me was an interruption in regular feeding patterns (not a scheduling bfer BTW).

With DD1 periods returned at about 9w pp (was bottle fed for 8 weeks)so doesn't count, with DD2 she had a chest infection and in hospital so bfing was all over the place - two weeks later periods started, with DD3 she was in hospital with bronciolitis and again feeding went crazy and she wasn't as effective and two weeks later periods started.

May be a night away from DS might work if you are night feeding might help? Eaurouge's links are v good so def. recommend reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now