Talk

Advanced search

struggling with tandem feeding

(10 Posts)
MamaChris Fri 19-Nov-10 10:11:21

I am feeding 7wo twins and finding myself very uncomfortable with having both breasts out. not just in public (although I am avoiding going out/seeing friends), but at home in front of dp, ds1 and even on my own (odd though that sounds).

I didn't feel like this feeding just one, but with two there is this enormous rectangle of breast exposed, then one or the other will lose the latch and I won't have a hand free to help relatch... does anyone have tips on feeding two discreetly?

vintageteacups Fri 19-Nov-10 21:10:52

There is a way (I'm a doula, not a mummy of twins though), where you hold them both facing the same direction, almost as though they're lying on top of each other but that is supposed to be very effective. I think it would also cover more of your chest area up. will try to find a picture smile

vintageteacups Fri 19-Nov-10 21:12:34

hope this link works - look at number 3

vintageteacups Fri 19-Nov-10 21:14:58

It would still be better I guess if you had a special slit opening nursing top, rathe than an open shirt, if feeding in front of others makes you feel uneasy.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Nov-10 21:16:03

I can understand why you feel that way, I tandem fed both my children (not twins) and it felt like 'too much touching' to have them both nursing at once. In terms of feeding them both at once, it's only for a few short weeks they will need such frequent feeding and I used the rugby hold.

I can see what you mean though. Plus, it's quite technically difficult to hold both too so covering up really isn't an option.

Would you feel more comfortable with a lot of pillows on your lap with them tucked into a pillow so the back of the pillow is behind them IYSWIM? So they have a downy wall between them and the room?

Littlefish Fri 19-Nov-10 21:17:50

First of all, many congratulations on your twins, and my utmost admiration to you for feeding them for 7 weeks so far.

My dsis tandem fed her twins. She used to wear two vest tops, pull one up and one down so that only the bare minimum of breast was exposed. She then used a breastfeeding cushion on top of a big pile of pillows to get the babies at the right height. I don't remember her exposing too much flesh smile.

Is the "enormous rectangle of flesh" in the middle? Is that what you mean?

MamaChris Sat 20-Nov-10 11:03:34

The "enormous rectangle of flesh" is in the middle, yes - it's the bit between their heads. tbh, it's only enormous because I have ballooned to a 36K blush. but a pull one vest up, one down strategy doesn't help cover that bit. I have ordered one of these which I hope will help, assuming I can get the holes in the right places!

thanks for the links vtc, I've only really used nos 1 or 2, so it gives me some ideas to try. having more pillows so one gives me "visual protection" might also be good to try at home. when people visit, I've been feeding one at a time, but that means I'm constantly feeding one baby and rotating as the baby not being fed gets more agitated. but then neither baby ends up getting a full feed or proper sleep.

but wmmc, I think you might have hit the nail on the head - it's not just about exposure (how can it be when I feel this way even on my own?) but about too much touching too. being able to bf ds1 made me feel very positive about our relationship and my body. I hadn't expected to feel like this with two, and I'm feeling quite sad about it. but as you say the feeds will get shorter and less frequent, and hopefully it will get easier then.

HappyAsASandboy Sun 21-Nov-10 13:51:04

I am breastfeeding my 4 wek old twins, mostly seperately (no time to breathe between feeds!), though sometimes together.

I know what you mean about it feeling odd having stuff going on with both nipples. I think it is a case of over stimulation, particularly since they tend to suck at different strengths and frequencies.

No solutions, just wanted to say that I know what you mean!

MamaChris Sun 21-Nov-10 21:16:26

thanks haas, nice to know it's not just me. congratulations on your babies

MarsLady Wed 01-Dec-10 13:26:34

How you doing now MamaChris? Have you started going out yet? Do I need to call?

Have you tried feeding them both going in the same direction at about 45 degrees?

You know you WILL get over the feeling don't you?

Kisses to you, DP and DS1 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now