Talk

Advanced search

How do you demand feed with a bottle?

(7 Posts)
Bumperlicious Thu 18-Nov-10 22:31:31

Just curious. I am excl bfing and have always been an advocate of demand feeding even with a bottle but was wondering today just how practical that is. When dd just wants a snack or a top up that is easy with bfing. How do people manage it with bottles? Do you end up wasting a lot?

This isn't meant to be a judgy post, more that I can understand why people tend more towards routine when bottle feeding.

ShanahansRevenge Thu 18-Nov-10 23:35:37

I demand fed with bottles. Not difficuult once you know how much they tend to drink...I used to make less rather than more and then make another if she wanted more..also simple with a formula dispenser which releases pre-measured amounts of formula.

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 19-Nov-10 07:14:39

How did you get the water to the right temperature each time? Maybe it's just my ds but he seems to go from first hunger cues to full on screaming in about 5 minutes!

crazykat Fri 19-Nov-10 07:28:19

I worked out how much hot water was needed to disolve the powder (e.g. 2oz hot water for 5 scoops powder) Then had the remainder of cooled boiled water measured in the fridge. I used hot water to mix the powder then topped it up with the cold water from the fridge and it was usually the perfect temperature. Saves a lot of crying while trying to cool a full feed made with just hot water.

ShanahansRevenge Fri 19-Nov-10 09:12:26

I kept my baby on room temp bottles...that is what she had in the hospital while I was very ill after having her...and so she a cepted them when we got home. I used to pre-fill bottles with boiled water ...enogh for the day...and then serve them after they cooled.

Baby number 2 did not like room temp at all and so I used to add a drop of fresh boiled water to the cooled water...checkit was at the right level and tip some out if it was not... and that would warm it up.

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 19-Nov-10 09:41:41

The powder has to be added to hot water though.

wigglesrock Fri 19-Nov-10 11:41:32

I demand fed with both dds, like any mum you get to know the signs and can pre-prepare, I also made two bottles at a time and the pre-prepared cartons were handy for emergencies. DD2 was a very on demand feeder and desperate tea-time cluster feeder as well. The only routine I had with my two was give them what they want when they want it grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now