Talk

Advanced search

How much does your diet affect your breastmilk???

(10 Posts)
pastahat Wed 17-Nov-10 17:30:02

Hi, am exclusively BFing my 19 wk old DD2.. in the last month I have had to start a low fat diet (not because I'm worried about weight etc but because I've got gallstones, lovely) She definitely seems hungrier & is waking more. I know this could be normal increased needs +/- 4m sleep regression and I'm not particularly worried about her weight (dropped to about 2nd centile from 25th, but she looks chunky enough &HVs not worried.) Just wondered if any similar experiences out there? thanks!

Unrulysun Wed 17-Nov-10 17:38:41

A friend of mine who is a phd told me about an African study of women who were living on diets significantly low in calories. They boosted some of the women's diets - it made no difference to the weight gain or loss of their breastfed children. I think she said it was done in Ghana?

Showaddywaddy Wed 17-Nov-10 17:41:21

It will make no difference. You have to be seriously malnourished for your milk to be compromised.

It will be a developmental/growth spurt and sleep regression. If she's fine and well, I would just carry on feeding to demand. It'll pass.

pastahat Wed 17-Nov-10 18:29:30

thanks for the reassurance! Thats just what I wanted to hear.

SeaShellsFiringUpTheQuattro Wed 17-Nov-10 18:33:09

Your body will prioritise milk production so should be fine-it is likely to be one of many sleep regression!

I hope you feel better soon-not great to be dealing with now

AngelDog Wed 17-Nov-10 18:57:48

4 month sleep regression info here, here, here and here if you're interested.

weasle Wed 17-Nov-10 19:54:57

unruly, i think i remember a study like that discussed in the politics of breastfeeding. the only difference with the food supplements was the women's fertility returned sooner IIRC, and so the gap between children reduced so a negative outcome in a society with usually marginal diets.

OP, sounds like 4 month regression to me. mine have all had it badly! It will pass. Hope the gallstone pains improve.

pastahat Wed 17-Nov-10 21:02:56

Thanks again for all the input.. Angeldog I had spotted your v helpful links on sleep regression on another thread. Good to know this is all normal - DD1 was quite abnormal in that she always slept v well more or less from birth! (wistful sigh). Will continue my tedious diet as at least does seem to be helping a bit with the pain. Thankyou!

AngelDog Thu 18-Nov-10 20:01:44

Yes, I post them everywhere! grin

mollycuddles Thu 18-Nov-10 21:26:04

I had gall stones while feeding dd1 and my low fat diet made no difference at all to her. You should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now