Talk

Advanced search

painful breast - is it a blocked duct?

(8 Posts)
stinkypants Sun 14-Nov-10 19:54:00

sorry if this has been asked a million times before but i don't have time to look through - have been bf'ing with no problems for 10 weeks but suddenly have a very painful breat - with ds1 i remember this happening once and i massaged it as he fed and it went away - this time i've tried that twice today but it doesn't seem to have worked - i am worried though that i was massaging too hard and maybe i've actually bruised it and that is why it is sore now - or could it be something else entirely?
thank you

Ieattoomuchcake Sun 14-Nov-10 20:37:50

Can you feel a lump? When I have had a blocked duct in the past there has been an obvious (to feel) lump in my boob. If so, maybe express while massaging the lump.
I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be along soon.
Hope you feel better soon.

stinkypants Sun 14-Nov-10 20:48:54

no obvious lump - thanks - i'm beginning to feel sure i've massaged the blockage away but bruised it by being too vigorous!

NotQuiteCockney Sun 14-Nov-10 20:50:02

Normally with a blocked duct, you have a visible red area, and a lump. Often the sore area feels hot to the touch.

I don't think it's possible to massage too hard - well, not without it hurting you lots while you were doing it, iyswim.

If you can feed with your baby's chin to the lump, that often clears it. Sometimes this means you need to lie the baby flat on your fed, and crouch over him or her to feed ... but that's less annoying than mastitis or an abcess ...

stinkypants Sun 14-Nov-10 20:56:17

hmmmmm.. yes it did hurt while i massaged it as i was so determined not to get an infection - plus i wasn't really sure how to massage so was pressing and squeezing really hard.
it is not red or hot but is confined to one area.
if no better later i will try that technique - thank you.

pepperonipizza Sun 14-Nov-10 21:19:56

Try a hot shower (the hotter the better), and position the shower head so the water falls on the bit that's hurting. Massage the lump (or the bit that's hurting as you can't feel a lump!) for a good couple of minutes, pushing down towards the nipple from the painful area. Then hand express (just a minute of so). Go to bed, try to get a good sleep. Hopefully gone by the morning!

I really suffered with lumps and blocked ducts whilst I was BFing, this was the only way I could shift lumps. I agree that you can almost bruise yourself and then it hurts even if the lump appears to have gone.... anyway - the sleeping bit was the bit that seemes to make a huge difference to me. Might not be possible for you wih a 10 week old but if there's anyway you can get an early night/ DH can help to allow you a good sleep, do it, it will help!

Bumperlicious Mon 15-Nov-10 12:22:55

I've been having a similar problem, sore lumpy breast but no obvious blocked duct. Feeding on it is excruciating.

stinkypants Mon 15-Nov-10 20:54:33

hmmm not sure what is going on - it is still about the same; no obvious lumps and ds seems to be feeding ok - have massaged again and tried hot flannel in the bath, have tried to hand express but am rubbish at this, will have a shower before bed and try the hot water. it doesnt seem to have got worse so i wonder if it is now just the bruising but was a blockage initially. it is not painful to feed though - Bumper that sounds tricky - hope yours gets better soon.
thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now