Talk

Advanced search

Increasing my supply?

(6 Posts)
June2008 Fri 12-Nov-10 12:11:50

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions how I can increase my supply? I have a ten week old dd who feeds well, generally every two-three hours, sometimes up to four hrs during the day, and then sleeps from about half nine through to about six am.

I have to go into hospital and cannot feed her for 24 hrs, so am deperately expressing to have enough to cover that period. I usually express after the last feed but am getting very little. I know that I can get much more if I express first thing, but then dd seems to be more hungry thoughout the day, as if she isn't getting enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can increase my supply to let me pump and dd to be happy? I have ten days before I am going into hospital.
Thanks

MoonUnitAlpha Fri 12-Nov-10 12:18:21

If you express in the morning and then she feeds more frequently throughout the day, your supply will increase to meet the demand I think - a bit like during a growth spurt?

RubyBuckleberry Fri 12-Nov-10 12:18:30

can you pump one side while dd feeding the other? i have heard tale of this working very well.

OnEdge Fri 12-Nov-10 12:25:56

Ive heard of taking Fenugreek seed tablets, and also getting up in the night to express at around 03.00 shock also if you can afford to rent a big pump they get loads more out of me then the shop bought one.

OnEdge Fri 12-Nov-10 12:26:43

they deliver the pump next day

TruthSweet Fri 12-Nov-10 22:11:50

Have you checked on LactMed or Thomas Hale's forum to see if any meds you will be taking need you to wait 24 hours without feeding.

I was told I would need to pump'n'dump after a endoscopy exam for 24 hours. I insisted the Junior Drs checked in Thomas Hale's Medications and Mothers' Milk textbook and lo and behold it was only 4 hours to wait before feeding could resume.

On the increasing supply front fenugreek worked for me (4x610mg x3 times a day) but it doesn't work for everyone. IF you have no effect within about 24-48 hours you probably won't ever. Also check with your Dr if it will contra with any meds you currently take/will be taking.

You could try pumping on one side whilst feeding on the other especially first thing in the morning.

To try to maximise pump yield massage breast before feed, pump until milk flow stops (you can do breast compressions whilst expressing too), then hand express. Also try covering the pump as I found the more I looked at the milk coming out the less I made confused. Looking at your DD/smelling her clothes/touching her should all help with letting down for the pump.

Also whilst you are in hospital try to pump as many times as you can. If you can get a double electric like OnEdge suggests all the better as if you are out of it from anaesthetic/sedatives/pain relief you really need the least labour intensive way to express! Even if you have to discard the milk you express please continue to express as many times as you can especially if you are trying to increase your supply otherwise you will be really uncomfortable and possibly at risk for mastitis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now