Talk

Advanced search

Reflux or just sicky?

(2 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Fri 12-Nov-10 07:42:48

I wondered if anyone xould give me some advice. My baby has been very sicky since he was about 4 weeks. He is now 14 weeks. He was EBF until 7 weeks when he started sleeping through and i supplemented with one FF at 10pm (hipp organic). My little man is sick a few times during each feed and will often do a cottage cheese sick 2-3 hours after a feed (ie right before the next feed). I don't want to bother my GP if this is normal-he has gained weight every week since birth and i wonder if he is just guzzling. He has absolutely no trouble sleeping, he naps 3-4 hours a day and sleeps 12 hours at night. I am a bit worried though as sometimes i wake him in the morning and the first thing he does when i pick him up is a little sick. Am i worrying over nothing?

TruthSweet Fri 12-Nov-10 09:22:11

If he is not in discomfort (i.e. is he screaming whilst being sick/writhing if laid down/screaming constantly/etc), his weight is not static or dropping it is just unfortunately a laundry problem not a medical problem.

You can try positional tricks to minimise the sicking - putting baby in bouncer/baby chair after a feed, propping head end of cot up slightly, gentle handling/no jiggling, keep lying flat to a minimum, things like that can help.

I know it can be quite distressing to see your baby be sick but when it's posset, not a tummy bug, they aren't sick in the way we are with waves of tummy cramps and nausea. It's just the sphincter at the top of the stomach is a little relaxed and some of their milk can escape out as sick.

It may be he's just a 'happy sicker'. Some babies do posset a lot which makes for lots of washing but unless there is weight or pain issues I, personally, would avoid going down the medical route to manage the sick as the drugs do have side effects (Infant Gaviscon is notorious for causing constipation for example, other drugs have other side effects too).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: