Talk

Advanced search

18 month old cutting down and biting- does he want to stop?

(13 Posts)
Digggers Thu 11-Nov-10 10:33:40

My 18month old ds has been gradually cutting down his feeds the last few months. Now he hasnone during the day, hasn't had for over a month. He has stopped wanting one in the morning over the last few weeks. He hasn't fed overnight as a rule for months now.

Now the bedtime time is the only one he'll take,and the last month he's only sucked for a minute at the longest. The last week, he's only sucked for 30 seconds or so, then bit me and laughed and stopped feeding.

I'm wondering if he's telling me he's ready to when? He's probably fed only once or twice over the past week, and then for just seconds and subsequently bit me. I can't be makingmuch milk anymore, and my boobs feel abit sore abd tender, but not engorged. I feel abit sad and rejected, but trying not to.

The only feed I offer these days is bedtime. Should I stop offering? I don't like being bitten.

He's not obviously teething. He's had an on and off cold for the last month. He's going through a pinching and scratching phase. He's not yet walking and is very frustrated.

Any advice?

RuthChan Thu 11-Nov-10 18:57:04

Yes, it really sounds like he's ready to wean.
A lack of interest shown by few and short feeds is a real sign of that.
You feel a bit sad now, but you have fed him for 18 months. Be thankful that. It's a long time!
Don't worry. Your relationship with him will change a little, but probably not as much as you think. You will still get lots of cuddles and closeness and he will still be your little boy, just a little bit bigger than he was!

Digggers Fri 26-Nov-10 12:58:14

well i think he has weaned. he's only fed a couple of times since i posted this, and the last time had a couple of sucks himself and then offered my bob to his teddy while he wandered off. He's had plenty of occassion to have a feed if he wants one, in bed in the morning, at various cuddles during the day, and i've been asking him at bedtime, but he shakes his head and asks for "eats" instead.

So i think i have a weaned baby! wow! well sad in some ways and well chuffed in others that he decided himself. i guess he must have been cutting down very gradually because my boobs have been fine, and are now down two cup sizes and i'm back in my collection of outrageous pre breastfeeding bras! But still had a few wee cries and sad heart too.

Here endeth my breastfeeding odysey

Digggers Sat 27-Nov-10 20:28:01

Is it sad that I kinda wanted some congratulations and someone to say well done and mark this? Feel a bit sad it's over and that's that.

BornAgainBokononist Sat 27-Nov-10 20:36:31

You have done incredibly well
My ds is 8mo and I hope to bf til he self weans, you made it

BornAgainBokononist Sat 27-Nov-10 20:38:34

I am actually a bit envy as ds got his first tooth and I've felt it a few times today!

TitianTinselTemptress Sat 27-Nov-10 20:43:04

That is great, how fantastic to have given your DS exactly what he needed! And how lovely that he offered his teddy your boob - "here teddy, this is really lovely but I don't need it any more because I'm a big boy" - well done you

TitianTinselTemptress Sat 27-Nov-10 20:44:00

PS that is coming from someone who is now weaning 9mo DD in preparation for working 3 days/wk after Xmas

Digggers Sat 27-Nov-10 21:02:19

Thank you both xx :-)

sigh

xMrsSx Sat 27-Nov-10 21:28:52

Aw,... this thread just actually made me cry, how lovely of you to share your experience. My DS is only 4 weeks old and so this is a long way off for me, but I hope I can do as good a job for my DS as you have for yours and that the weaning is just as natural for him. Well done you!

TitianTinselTemptress Sat 27-Nov-10 21:52:00

Tis the end of an era though, isn't it?

I have had some photos taken of me BF DD so I have something to remember it by/show to her. I think that my Mum BFing me and my Dsis made it totally normal for me and for that reason I always took it as read that I would BF. But that is a whole different thread I guess!

Anyway it is totally natural to feel a bit but at the same time such an amazing step for your DS - awesome

Digggers Sat 27-Nov-10 22:44:01

Thank you, it's nice to hear some congratulations and nice words. Spent most of the last two days in tears, feel so weird about it all.

TitianTinselTemptress Sun 28-Nov-10 07:44:55

Oh bless you - don't forget it will have affected your hormones too which won't be helping. You will feel better soon I promise. Be proud of the both of you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: