Talk

Advanced search

trapped wind??

(5 Posts)
nattiecake Wed 10-Nov-10 23:43:44

My DS (5 weeks) has been straining for the last few days, as if hes constipated, although he's pooing fine once/twice a day, so I think he has trapped wind...?

Hes breastfed, and i've given him gripe water which I'm not sure is helping. I've since looked up both gripe water and infacol and found that they are both scientifically dubious medicines anyway. I dont want to give him medicine for the sake of it.

I had a takeaway curry on the weekend, is it a myth that it will affect my milk? Could this be whats making him uncomfortable??

His latch has been checked before and is fine, though I will ask the HV to double check when she comes on Friday. however he does seem to gulp his milk really fast... 99% of the time he gets a nice big burp out after his feed, though sometimes he'll burp in the middle and not after.

Can anyone help?
The HV told me it didnt sound like colic when she last came btw, as it comes and goes throughout the day?

nattiecake Wed 10-Nov-10 23:45:29

Sorry, should clarify that when I asked the HV before, he was just having screamy patches, the straining is new in the last few days...

gaelicsheep Wed 10-Nov-10 23:49:22

IIRC, I think they sometimes do really strain sometimes in the early days, even with really soft poo. Getting used to using those muscles I think. Does he seem distressed by it?

I understand that spicy food really can affect babies, not just a myth. I hate curries etc. so I can't confirm from personal experience.

nattiecake Wed 10-Nov-10 23:56:33

He does scream sometimes with it, but he's a newborn baby, he screams anyway, lol.
So difficult to tell how much it actually bothers him...

Porcelain Thu 11-Nov-10 08:37:01

My baby has this, I am not convinced it has anything to do with my food, I think he swallows air and doesn't bring it all up.

belly massage and leg cycling, or bending and straightening his legs will help. DH calls this "mining for farts"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: