Talk

Advanced search

I think that the companies who make Formula are fucking useless and out of touch with our needs !

(12 Posts)
OnEdge Wed 10-Nov-10 01:43:41

It is becoming so difficult to use formula now. having to let the kettle boil and then cool for an hour, use within two hours.Can't store in the fridge.

I decided it would be best to use the little cartons of pre prepared formula but this then becomes tricky. I have to snip the top of the carton which usually spurts milk everywhere. I'm not too happy about the scissors and the outside of the carton being a contamination risk. So have to clean them both each time with antiseptic wipes which could leave a bitter taste on them. They just aren't user friendly at all,no thought has gone into this.

Why cant the formula makers just design a better way of packaging the milk. There must be a way of making it easy to open and then pour that doesnt require scissors etc. And how about the system the hospitals have with the little jars that the sterile teats then screw on to - perfect ! i can't buy them any where.

Come on Formula makers, get your arses into gear and sort this out !! angry Its pathetic !!

OnEdge Wed 10-Nov-10 01:46:07

oops *cool for half an hour I mean.

Guacamole Wed 10-Nov-10 04:03:56

Those little glass ones with teats used in some hospitals can be bought online from SMA. They are uber expensive.
I breastfeed but don't express for things like porridge and baby rice etc... I use formula in cartons, I find them convenient enough just too big for my purpose, I waste so much!

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 10-Nov-10 07:07:23

The sma ones with teats can be bought in Boots and Asda. Have seen both very recently.
After BF I used Aptamil and wish they did it in bigger cartons.

Ineedsomesleep Wed 10-Nov-10 07:37:23

Guacamole can't you just use cow's milk in stuff like porridge? Its much easier.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 10-Nov-10 07:52:02

I use cows milk too in porridge, custard etc.

Guacamole Wed 10-Nov-10 08:39:07

I've just googled and yes I can use cow's milk now, DS is 7 months... I feel a bit silly for not knowing that!

Zimm Wed 10-Nov-10 10:20:14

Don't stress about the scissors - just make sure they are clean - after all breastfeed babies have non sterile nipples in their mouths all the time - the risks with formula are from the powder itself not things like scissors!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 10-Nov-10 10:21:01

have just found out from another thread what hungry baby formula is and tbh i'm rather shock

Withholding info is a big issue re formula companies if you ask me.

Imo the only needs formula manufactusors are in touch with is that of their shareholders. sad

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 10-Nov-10 10:26:16

zimm i'm not arguing with you re cleanlyness of scissors because i think you are probably right.

However i think it's worth remembering that bm is antibacterial so helps to combat any nasties on nips etc.

When bacteria and milk are introduced to a baby's tummy they will be at a perfect breeding temp for some time so probably worth being carefull with some babies, eg, premies

Ineedsomesleep Thu 11-Nov-10 08:21:24

Guacamole don't worry about not knowing, lots of Mums aren't given enough information as it seems to be aimed at the lowest common denominator and causes confusion to many Mums.

My SIL thought the same until I pointed out that Cow's Milk is just not recommended as the main drink and I know plenty of Mums in the city I grew up in who just give the baby sterilised milk instead of formula hmm.

ayjayjay Thu 11-Nov-10 09:56:42

btw this has been done to death but you can make the formula in advance and store in the fridge. The important part of the process is to make sure the water used to make the formula is no less than 70C. As long as you cool the bottles of premade formula quickly then store in the back of the fridge and use within 24 hours it is fine.

The gold standard is to make a fresh bottle every time but this is an acceptable compromise. See official guidance here page 4 onwards covers this method.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now