Talk

Advanced search

2 BF related incidents that have really pissed me off!

(4 Posts)
fifitot Tue 09-Nov-10 19:48:04

Just venting but tbh feel quite down about both of the following.

On Sunday me, DH, DD and baby DS having lunch in a well known pizza chain. A male waiter had taken our order and was essentially looking after our table. He had a tray of drinks to bring over to us. I had already latched DS on very discreetly and he was feeding away when said waiter approached but then stopped, turned round with the drinks and muttered something to a female colleague who then brought them over to us. FFS. Is BFing so terrible that you can't bring a drink to a table you idiot! At first thought I was being oversensitive and that this wasn't the issue but DH noticed as well.

Secondly today went to a baby group. Was discussing BFing with one of the other mums. I was telling her the difficulty I had had with DD who really didn't want to self wean and I had fed her until she was about 2 years old. Cue 2 of the other mothers exchanging a 'look'. Way to make me feel welcome.

I know these are minor incidents but just feel a bit sleep deprived and consequently sensitive. Why do people have to make something so normal so difficult?

End of rant.

rubyslippers Tue 09-Nov-10 19:51:07

Not trying to excuse the waiter but maybe he felt you would be more comfortable with a female waitress?

Try not to take it to heart

hillyhilly Tue 09-Nov-10 19:52:00

Because their life experience so far is different to yours - by being seen feeding or talking about extending breast feeding, you are introducing them to something that is quite new and maybe (wrongly) shocking.
BUT you are educating them - you keep going, you are making life a little easier for the next BFing mother they encounter.

eaglewings Tue 09-Nov-10 19:52:33

Rant away!

I was waiting outside a room a few years back ready to introduced to my new work mates and I overheard them talking about me, one commented on me still bfing my ds who was only 15 months at the time.

I never really got on well with her winkover the 2 years we worked together

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now