Talk

Advanced search

Extended breastfeeding and perceptions of social workers

(17 Posts)
SparklePffftBANG Mon 08-Nov-10 14:09:16

From another thread, where someone was saying she had heard from a SW that she would get involved if she heard of a mother breastfeeding an older child.
I know this is a third hand story and I am NOT up for SW bashing, but lots of people have prejudice against ebf, some SWs possibly do, in theory what could happen???

SparklePffftBANG Mon 08-Nov-10 14:09:46

sorry this is not a thread to start an argument, it is because hearing that has sent chills up my spine

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 08-Nov-10 14:11:30

Nothing. If it's true the woman is mad and is getting her individual believes mixed up with her professional opinion.

SparklePffftBANG Mon 08-Nov-10 14:13:12

So they couldn't start any proceedings based on the fact a child is being breastfed at, say, 6? Obviously this assumes that everything else requires no intervention - no nutritional deficiency etc.

winnybella Mon 08-Nov-10 14:15:04

No, they couldn't.

SparklePffftBANG Mon 08-Nov-10 14:17:11

phew thanks

ShowOfHandsInEpistolaryForm Mon 08-Nov-10 14:17:29

My MIL is a sw. She is v uncomfortable with bfing beyond 2. But this has nothing to do with her professional role.

SparklePffftBANG Mon 08-Nov-10 14:21:38

that's good, thanks SOH

FairyLightsForever Mon 08-Nov-10 14:45:32

One of my best mates is a children and families SW. I'm still feeding my nearly 4yr old DD and her response was "blimey, rather you than me, but good on you!"

ShowOfHands Mon 08-Nov-10 14:53:10

My MIL would have reported me long ago if it was a problem. She is a children and families SW too, specifically working with children up to the age of 8 or so.

She said a long time ago that she actually has never met an extended bfer through work. The issues she sees are nothing to do with bfing.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 08-Nov-10 15:10:08

I'd think SW would have better things to spend their time on.

And anyone who thinks natural term bfing is a source of concern for a SW is really quite ignorant sad

SparklePffftBANG Mon 08-Nov-10 15:12:05

well that's what i thought Kara, but the (reported) conversation was a SW saying she would intervene if she found out about such a thing.
I don't go round chatting about it, but it's not a secret either and it just worried me

TryLikingClarity Mon 08-Nov-10 20:56:49

I'm a trainee SW.

Tbh, I think the info you heard was 3rd hand so you shouldn't focus too much on it as you don't know the context, or the real content of what was said.

SWers have much more pressing matters to attend to than how long a mother bfs for. Unless there are signs of poor attachment, or confusion about feeding methods or issues around touch then I can't see a SWer having an issue with it.

All depends on the unique situation though.

StealthPoHoHoHo Mon 08-Nov-10 21:08:45

Thanks I know I was overreacting and the info was third hand but it was just so shocking I panicked!
Nice to hear it from the horse's mouth...not that I'm calling you a horse...
<stops digging>

TryLikingClarity Tue 09-Nov-10 08:30:19

Ummm, thanks Stealth, we won't take it personally wink

NotQuiteCockney Tue 09-Nov-10 08:33:27

I do have a friend who was doing a child protection course, and was told that BF past 2 (I think?) was cause for concern. My friend was a mix of shock and hmm at this, fwiw.

StealthPoHoHoHo Tue 09-Nov-10 09:19:53

angry
quite apart from anything else that's contrary to the WHO and NHS guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now