Talk

Advanced search

4 month old dropping feeds/fussing?

(5 Posts)
mindymoo10 Sun 07-Nov-10 14:37:14

Just wondering what age peoples LO's started going longer? My DD has started either really fussing- going on, taking a bit and then crying to come off or point blank refusing to go on. She normally feeds 2.5- 3 hours but it seems to be 4-5 hours during the day? Normally she would give me feeding cues and happily latch on, but she seems to need extra pesuasion?

She may be teething (drooling and some ear pulling). I dont want her to go hungry so I have been offering her feeds at 3 hours, but wondering if I should just wait till 4 hours and see- I dont want her to get negative about feeding (I know I am starting to feel tense about it as I am not sure what she wants anymore She is taking less as I am feeling full and leaking a bit. She is really happy otherwise- laughing, being really interested in everything etc

So does 4 months sound about right for dropping feeds! Thank you!

Ieattoomuchcake Sun 07-Nov-10 14:49:18

Mindy, my DD (19 weeks adjusted) has been like this for about the past week. So you're not alone. I'm maybe an over relaxed mum but I've just been offering her every three hours and if she doesn't want it I wait fifteen mins or so and offer again.
She can get v grumpy w me if she doesn't want to feed. Today's highlight was her turning red in the face in the John Lewis feeding room. Earlier this week she got grumpy at me in dobbies garden centre and flashed my boob at the whole cafe (sure nobody else noticed, but I did!).

I think it's just that at this age they're more interested in watching the world than feeding.

But I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 07-Nov-10 14:58:17

They can get more distracted at 4 months, which can lead to fussy feeding.

Other thing I would add is that ear pulling and fussing over feeds can be signs of an ear infection, so you might want to get that checked out - but if she;s otherwise happy it may just be her developmental stage.

I would continue to offer regularly but not push it, sure she will come back to it.

mindymoo10 Sun 07-Nov-10 15:01:39

Ieattoomuchcake- thank you for your reply! I am probably an over analytical mother- I dont think you are over relaxed- yours sounds a much better approach than mine

I think I am tired- have just had MIL here which completely stressed me out- could be part of the problem! But just wondering if this is the age when feeds decrease a bit....

LOL at your experience in JL (but in a nice way )

Ieattoomuchcake Sun 07-Nov-10 15:13:24

Laugh away. If I didn't have a sense of humour about DD's antics I think I'd get myself into a right pickle.
It's so hard being a mum isn't it?? Always wondering if you're doing the right thing, worrying too much or not enough.

Hope you recover soon from MIL visit. My MIL is lovely but firmly of the opinion that DD should take both boobs every four hours and sleep between feeds. So I always end up justifying myself when she's around!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now