Talk

Advanced search

What's the longest you've had a blocked duct for? HELP!

(9 Posts)
marzipananimal Sun 07-Nov-10 12:39:53

I've had a blockage for a week now. Been feeding loads, massaging in the shower and while feeding but no joy. I'm on antibiotics as I had mastitis symptoms to begin with too.

Why won't it go away? Feeding is agony and I feel like I just can't cope any more. Am seeing GP and bfc tomorrow but not sure there's anything they can do.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Nov-10 12:44:02

You poor thing marzipan. I think the longest I had was a day or so. A blocked duct always used to worry me (I only had it a couple of times) because I would then panic that it would get worse etc.

Do you have a bath? If so lie boobs down in deep warm water and try that (more effective than shower imo). (if no bath would a deep washing up bowl of water be worth a try?). Massage firmly while submerged.

Have you tried expressing. This sometimes works, I had a manual pump and firmly massaged the block towards the nipple while pumping.

Sorry if you have tried all this, hope someone else has other thoughts for you.

marzipananimal Sun 07-Nov-10 17:14:00

I'll try a bath or bowl of hot water. I can't really express - I only get a few mls with my pump and I hate using it, and I can't hand express anything. Thanks for the reply

Angiebops Sun 07-Nov-10 18:40:19

Hi Marzipan,

I had a blocked duct for nearly a week. tried everything including pumping, it finally went away on its own. Are you able to see a breastfeeding consultant? They may be able to help you out and avaoid any nasty mastitis?

Montifer Sun 07-Nov-10 18:48:21

You poor thing, think my longest standing one was 3-4 days and it was grim, also had loads of 24 hour blockages which weren't much fun either.

I think the thing that helped me the most was max dose ibuprofen (if you are OK with anti inflammatories), can't remember if it was recommended on Kellymom or the Jack Newman site but really seemed to help everytime and thankfully never had to resort to antibiotics.

Hope it resolves very soon.

triplechoc Sun 07-Nov-10 19:43:04

I found heat helped clear mine - something like a wheat bag you can put in the microwave, and keep it in place for as long as possible. I used to heat up a wheat bag to take to bed and effectively lie on it. As well as firm massage etc.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Nov-10 20:01:26

Just checking in again Marzipan. Hope it eases very very soon.

marzipananimal Sun 07-Nov-10 20:33:27

unfotunately I can't take ibuprofen as it aggravates my asthma so just taking paracetamol. It is feeling softer now and the last couple of feeds have been less painful Definitely not completely gone but I think I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel (fingers crossed anyway!)
Thanks for the tips, I don't have a wheat bag so I use a disposable nappy filled with hot water

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Nov-10 20:36:02

that's sounding hopeful, glad to hear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now