Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding tips.....

(11 Posts)
clarabellarocks Sun 07-Nov-10 09:15:43

Any words of advice? Second baby and only managed 6 weeks with DD after a whole host of problems so any words of wisdom at how to make it work second time round would be gratefully received!

MoonUnitAlpha Sun 07-Nov-10 09:52:11

What problems did you encounter the first time round?

I'd insist on having someone check for tongue-tie - no one noticed my ds's despite it being quite obvious and us being in hospital for 4 days hmm

There's no substitute for seeing someone properly trained/qualified in real life - too many midwives and HVs have woefully inadequate knowledge.

Porcelain Sun 07-Nov-10 10:04:33

Get thee to a BF cafe/mums group. Make friends, get support and advice from people that understand what you are trying to do.

ParanoidAtAllTimes Sun 07-Nov-10 10:19:46

Agree with others about talking to bf councellor etc.
Post on here if/when problems arise.
Lansinoh to prevent/soothe sore nipples.
Frequent feeding in early weeks to help supply.

Good luck!

ParanoidAtAllTimes Sun 07-Nov-10 10:20:54

Oh and www.kellymom.com/ is great.

Cies Sun 07-Nov-10 10:21:12

Browse this topic as much as you can now before dc is born. There's so much good advice around.

clarabellarocks Sun 07-Nov-10 20:27:42

Problems started when DD born with brachial plexus injury so think she was in pain after long traumatic birth, refused to feed during the night ever, bad latch as nipples had skin hanging off them and bled even though midwives told me latch okay?! Then had horrific engorgement which led to mastitis and DD refusing to feed off one side then refused both and weight just kept dropping. Saw BFCs several times and midwives but nobody seemed able to help. Makes me v scared for this next time but was such a hang up of mine, stopping trying to swot up on everything this time.

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 08-Nov-10 12:47:00

Crikey, that sounds like a nightmare clara.

A couple of friends of mine found that latch problems were solved with a cranial osteopath visit.

Keeping fingers crossed for you that all more straightforward next time.

Bluewednesday Mon 08-Nov-10 13:14:19

I found it much much easier second time round. My daughter was born tonque tied, she spend all days and nights on the breast. I just assumed it was normal and carried on. Despite that she didn't put on weight a great deal (but within norm). I exclusively breast fed for 6 months, and then another 6 months. With my son it was a completely different story. He was full after 5 min af sucking, and then could go without breat milk for 3-4 hours, slept through the night since he was 3 weeks. And he was putting on approx 1.2kg a month.
What problems are you having?

clarabellarocks Mon 08-Nov-10 16:30:53

No probs yet Blue baby not due for another few weeks - just bracing myself for the worst again and looking for any tips that makes it work but reassuring to hear people have better luck second time around.

narmada Mon 08-Nov-10 16:56:39

Scour the websites available (like kellymom, Dr Jack Newman's website) before the birth, stick breastfeeding support numbers on your fridge for when you get home, and ask to see a breastfeeding supporter or lactation consultant in hospital before you leave if at all possible would be my advice. Also, like a PP has said, check out your local BF cafe sessions, and stick a note on the fridge of when they are happening.

Also, if at all possible, make sure you have help with your older DC for when you come home so you can concentrate your efforts on establishing BF if needs be. But here's hoping you get a lovely, easy feeder with no issues. I know lots of people who that's happened to with the second baby after a difficult BF experience with the first, so don't worry too much. I am sure everything will go fine, and if it doesn't, then you know where to turn for real life help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now