Talk

Advanced search

Unwell husband has given two formula feeds - now worried

(18 Posts)
lla Sat 06-Nov-10 19:44:34

I have been unwell with a sickness bug and my husband has given my son two formula feeds instead of waking me. He thought he was doing me a Favour by letting me rest. I'm now worried about breastfeeding, will this badly affect it? I've been ebf my son who is now 14 weeks old. So toady I last fed him at 1030 and then he has 2 ff before I was then able to feed him at 1830.

I'm really panicking about what has happen because I don't want to stop breastfeeding.

SGertie Sat 06-Nov-10 19:50:56

Don't panic!! If he's likely to want a feed soon then just feed him as normal. If it's likely to be some time until he feeds then you could express to keep your supply.
Do try to feed him as much as possible whilst you're sick to pass on the antibodies.
Hope you get well soon and well done dh for trying to help!

SGertie Sat 06-Nov-10 19:52:48

Oh, just reread that you have already fed him since the gap. Just keep going then back to normal
Keep drinking lots of fluid too!

lla Sat 06-Nov-10 19:53:26

Thank you the whole thing has really upset me because I really don't want to stop bf.

GingerGlitterGoddess Sat 06-Nov-10 19:55:56

Honestly don't worry, boobs are amazing, just carry on feeding, maybe try do do skin to skin if poss, and your supply will meet his demand.

Agree re antibodies - I had a hideous D&V bug when DD was about 3 wks old, carried on BF throughout bar a couple of FFs just like you, and DD was absolutely fine. It was not the nicest time, having to pass her rugby stylee to DH while I vommed into a bucket <there is not an emoticon for this!> but we were fine in the end.

Keep your own fluids up as much as possible, rest, get DH to take her in between feeds as much as possible - it will pass soon.

GingerGlitterGoddess Sat 06-Nov-10 19:56:54

Just seen your last post - this will honestly not stop you from BF, please don't worry about it, just carry on as normal. You are doing a great job

MoonUnitAlpha Sat 06-Nov-10 19:57:31

It'll be fine! At 14 weeks a couple of formula feeds won't mean the end of breastfeeding.

piprabbit Sat 06-Nov-10 20:00:03

I'm very impressed that your DH had the skills and initiative to feed your baby while you were ill <small round of applause for Mrlla>.

You'll be back in your routine before you know it - your boobs can't distinguish between a dropped feed because you were ill, your baby was ill or whatever, they'll soon be at full production.

lla Sat 06-Nov-10 20:01:36

Thanks I burst out crying when I found out what he'd done. He was only trying to help me and didn't realise. Feel better after reading all your comments.

Scarabeetle Sat 06-Nov-10 20:05:28

Don't put so much pressure on yourself - formula isn't the end of the world!! If it helps you out, it's great. EBF isn't the most important thing in the world. If you end up mixed feeding, good for you. I put a lot of pressure on myself to EBF and ended up quitting. Wish I had mixed fed all along. I would have continued with it longer.

GingerGlitterGoddess Sat 06-Nov-10 20:55:19

BUT I will reiterate that this does not mean you will end up having to mix feed if you don't want to! You'll see, it will be absolutely fine.

kickarsequeensbonfireburnup Sat 06-Nov-10 20:59:55

Oh dear! agree with everyone else, all will be fine Now go and give your DP a hug because he's probably feeling a bit upset too.

CatIsSleepy Sat 06-Nov-10 21:01:06

missing 2 feeds at this age is not a big problem I'm sure. Just carry on as normal and don't worry!

IsItMeOr Sat 06-Nov-10 21:03:03

You really don't need to worry about this, and I'm guessing it all seems much worse because you must be feeling dreadful.

It will be fine if you just carry on feeding as normal. The odd FF here or there won't affect your supply.

Hope you're feeling much better soon smile.

twofalls Sat 06-Nov-10 21:23:34

I had to do a training course when DD was 14 weeks. I expressed once during the day and then got stuck on a train for hours so couldn't express and DD had a bottle from my mum. Boobs felt like they were going to explode on the train but honestly, didn't affect my supply one little bit.

Hope you feel better soon. Its grim being ill when you have a baby.

lla Sat 06-Nov-10 22:02:15

Thank you again for all your comments. I think I am worrying more because I feel so unwell. I've given my hubby a hug too - bless him.

MumNWLondon Sat 06-Nov-10 22:06:36

Don't worry about it but if you do feel very full and your baby isn't draining it then maybe pump it off the help keep supply up. JUst be prepared to fed a bit more tomorrow.

GingerGlitterGoddess Mon 08-Nov-10 00:17:10

Hi OP just checking back in to see how the weekend has gone. Hope you are feeling better and DS is feeding nicely. Your DH sounds like a star

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now