Talk

Advanced search

How do I switch from bottle to cup for milk for dd - 23 months

(6 Posts)
Tillysmummy Tue 22-Jul-03 14:25:47

My dd is nearly 23 months. She speaks very well and is easy to communicate with. She has been drinking well from a beaker since 7 months and has also been drinking from glasses cups ok now for about 4 months. The problem is getting her to give up her morning and evening milk from the bottle. I have tried telling her that bottles are for babies and that she needs the cup etc and she just gets really upset and says no mummy I want the babies bottle not the big girls cup. How should I go about it ? I am probably just being weak and rubbish and if I focus my efforts hard enough could probably get it sorted and should just not give in but I don't want to take something away that she seems so attached to ? Any ideas ? Or should I just not fuss about it. Thing is now being pg again (very early days only 5 weeks) I don't want her still on bottles if and when have another one. Also want to sort out potty training before then and moving into a bed - help !! So many things to sort.

musica Tue 22-Jul-03 14:31:11

You could try taking the top off the bottle, and either sipping the milk straight out the bottle, or using a straw. Or take her shopping to buy a 'special' cup - we did that, and it worked beautifully - no complaints at all. Having said that ds still won't go in his 'special' bed...!

musica Tue 22-Jul-03 14:31:23

Oh, congratulations btw!!!

aloha Tue 22-Jul-03 14:43:26

Is it really a problem? She only has two bottles a day - I can't see the harm really. You don't have to sterilise or anything surely so it can't be more faff than a cup. Personally, I wouldn't consider any targets at all (but that's me). Why should she be in a bed? I don't plan to move ds out of his cot until he's too big to physically fit in it or he expresses a wish for a bed. He's the same age as your dd and he's got quite a way to go! As for potty training....well... that seems a long way off yet. Your dd sounds perfectly happy - not to mention extremely articulate Give yourself a break Tillysmummy, put your feet up and have a nice time!

Melly Tue 22-Jul-03 19:26:33

Hi Tillysmummy, have exactly the same problem. My dd was 2 last week and I could have written your post. I have come round to thinking as aloha has said, I can't see that's it is a huge problem, I think it's a comfort thing. I've tried replacing the teat on her bottle with an Avent spout, giving her milk from her non spill beaker, giving it from a "special grown up girl" beaker but nothing has worked so far. I have had numerous attempts to get her to give up the bottle but now I have ds ( 21 month age gap) I have just learnt to chill out about it and not worry too much. DD drinks her milk so quickly anyway, don't think there will be a problem with teeth etc, and her speech is clear as a bell.

Congratulations on your news, hope you're feeling ok

Tillysmummy Tue 22-Jul-03 20:26:16

Thanks for the congrats ladies. Maybe I will chill out about it. I don't mind just don't want her to be impeded by it but I guess she won't be.
Aloha I want to get her into a bed because i don't want to have to buy another cot and although I have a crib for a few months it won't last forever and I want to do it before any new arrivals so she doesn't blame the baby
The potty training I am just sure she's ready for. She has already been in it once, sits on it every day and tells me when she's done a poo. I also think she knows the sensation of weeing now because every time she wanted to go on holiday she got out of the pool !! We'll have to see.
I guess I won't force the bottle issue. Just don't want to have to go and buy more when have another. Still it's a good few months away yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: