Talk

Advanced search

Peachy for the poolside? Lush for the lounger? Share your best summer reads here...

(10 Posts)
TillyBookClub Mon 06-Jul-09 11:11:31

There's no bookclub for July and August, but we need to fill our suitcase with suitably gripping stories What books are you packing?

Wrapped inside my towel is:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett: I've got an early copy of this (published 23 July) and I think it'll be huge. Very moving story of a black maid in 60s Missippi and her relationship with the child she cares for and her family.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters: I love this author, you always feel in safe hands and she nails that ideal holiday mix of accessible and intelligent. And the plots are always twisty tight.

One Day by David Nicholls: Caught a bit on the radio and want to finish the story. And I can't wait to read a properly funny book with a happy ending.

And right now I'm ploughing into the new Margaret Atwood, The Year of the Flood, which is a companion to Oryx and Crake (our last bookclub book). It isn't out till September - I'll pop a review up here when I'm finished.

What are your top tips? We'll keep this thread going all summer so post when you can...

WibblyPigRocks Wed 22-Jul-09 18:12:38

In what way is The Year of the Flood a companion to Oryx and Crake? I enjoyed reading that for the last bookclub, so I will keep an eye out for it when it comes out.

Otherwise, I don't know what to read at the moment - c'mon MNers, give me inspiration!!

rudelyawoken Mon 27-Jul-09 00:36:25

'Mother's Day' by Kirsty Scott is a great read for mums of small children (I thought). I'm about to start reading her next one: 'Between You and Me.'

My tip for a recent release is 'A Kind of Intimacy' by Jenn Ashworth - an uncomfortable read which felt a bit like not being able to look away from a nasty accident.

An author I've just discovered is Gretta Mulrooney. I devoured 'Out of the
Blue' and have ordered everything else that my local library services have by her!

cilldara Tue 28-Jul-09 21:04:05

Just back from holidays where I loved "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters and "American wife" By Curtis Sittenfeld. Both were intelligent and thought provoking yet page turners at the same time. Loved them both.

hocuspontas Tue 28-Jul-09 21:06:03

Oooh! I've just bought American Wife to take away with me on Saturday. Glad to hear it's a good read.

janeite Tue 28-Jul-09 21:07:07

So far I have got:
The Moonstone and The Woman In White
A Georgette Heyer
A history of cooking
That Swedish vampire one - Let The Right One In
The Mutiny On The Bounty by the Striped PJs guy
One that was an R&J I think - is it Neverland or Netherland or something like that? Mind has gone blank.

I have no idea if any of them are going to be good though!

sayanything Fri 31-Jul-09 21:07:01

I'm having an Edward St Aubyn-fest delivered by Amazon anyday now (The Some Hope trilogy and Mother's Milk), as well as two books by Marilynn Robinson, Gilead and Home.

Has anyone read any of them and are they any good?

sayanything Fri 31-Jul-09 21:08:41

Marilynne, sorry.

Cocodrillo Sat 08-Aug-09 21:22:03

Home I thought was shite, but it won the Costa prize and got rave reviews so who am I to say!

Little Stranger is a wonderful read, and One Day by David Nicholls managed to be gripping and touching despite being not much more than chick-lit at heart - but he was so spot on in his observations what it was like to be young in the late '80s to present.

GemsT Mon 24-Aug-09 10:10:58

I've been reading the Nursery Crime Division mysteries by Jasper Fforde... very funny, grown-up spin on popular traditional tales... the first book is about Humpty Dumpty... was he murdered? Did he fall or was he pushed shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now