Talk

Advanced search

June Book of the Month: Hard Pushed by Leah Hazard - post your question(s) for Leah by midday Friday 28 June

(7 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-May-19 14:06:40

Our bookclub read for June is Hard Pushed by midwife Leah Hazard - an eye-opening account of life on the labour ward and a moving and candid love letter to new mothers and fellow midwives. To take part in the author Q&A, post your question(s) for Leah by midday Friday 28 June.

About the book

Life on the NHS front line, working within a system at breaking point, is more extreme than you could ever imagine. From the bloody to the beautiful, from moments of utter vulnerability to remarkable displays of strength, and from heart-wrenching grief to the pure, perfect joy of a newborn baby, midwife Leah Hazard has seen it all.

Through her eyes, we meet a range of women - from Eleanor, whose wife is a walking miracle of modern medicine, their baby a feat of reproductive science to Pei Hsuan, who has carried her tale of exploitation and endurance thousands of miles to somehow find herself at the door of Leah’s ward.

Buy the book for £11.99

About the author

Leah Hazard is a serving NHS midwife. Having studied at Harvard, she left a career in television to pursue her lifelong interest in women’s health after the birth of her first daughter. She soon began working as a doula, supporting women in pregnancy and attending numerous births in homes and hospitals across the country. The birth of Leah’s second daughter prompted Leah to make the leap into midwifery, working in a variety of NHS maternity services, from antenatal clinics to triage units and labour wards.

You can follow Leah on Twitter.

Leah says: "I’m so thrilled to introduce my book, Hard Pushed: A Midwife’s Story, as a Mumsnet Book of the Month. These stories really are love letters to the women I’ve looked after, to the colleagues who work alongside me with such strength, wit and grace, and to the NHS. Thank you for taking the time to join me on my journey."

Get involved

Grab a copy of the book, read it and join the discussion here. Post your question(s) for Leah by midday Friday 28 June.

We'll then send over a selection to Leah and post her answers up by 5 July.

This thread is sponsored by Penguin Random House

Prices correct at time of publication. Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, so if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale (more details).

roundligament Fri 31-May-19 20:34:27

I just started it today actually, I'm 230 pages in. It's fantastic. I'm really enjoying it!

IrishMamaMia Fri 31-May-19 22:38:57

I have a copy on reserve at my local library so will hopefully join in smile

morallybankruptme Mon 03-Jun-19 21:27:33

Disappointed with this months choice. I have no interest in reading about midwives .

avocadochocolate Tue 04-Jun-19 08:34:12

Just finished reading it. Fantastic book!

Mythreeknights Wed 05-Jun-19 06:30:06

Oooh am I in the book? Leah Hazard was my doula. I had a nasty back to back that went very wrong, nearly ending in both me and my son dying. Unfortunately Leah had to leave by the time I was being wheeled into theatre (!) I'd better get a copy from the library.

sjonlegs Thu 06-Jun-19 09:09:29

Oh my - a woman is so incredibly vulnerable in the throws of labour ... and Leah captures this beautifully.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »