Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find this book, it’s driving me potty!!!

(9 Posts)
GerrysSuccessor Sun 23-Sep-18 23:20:57

So, at some point in The last 6-12 months I heard on either radio 2 or radio 4 (specific I know!!!) a book being discussed. The author was being interviewed and it was definitely a man.

The vague premise was, a family of 3 generations get back together at the family home in New York. There were, I think, 3 or even 4 grown up children and a few grandchildren. May have been Christmas, or just a reunion. The point of the story (and why it appealed to me I suppose) is that there was no major drama, no complicated convoluted storyline. The book, as far as I remember, just got down to the nitty gritty reality of what normal, middle class, grown up sibling relationships can be like.

It has really stuck with me and I’m desperate to read it, it’s been ages since I heard about it but I still think about it. Thing is I have no idea what it is called and no amount of googling has been able to help.
Any ideas?

Sammy867 Sun 23-Sep-18 23:27:58

I think it would have been radio 4 and the show is called the good read. If you go on radio 4’s website they have a list of all previous shows with the books they were discussing. If you could remember the date more accurately you can simply look it up there but may involve a bit of trawling

AdaColeman Sun 23-Sep-18 23:30:59

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara?

YellowLily Sun 23-Sep-18 23:40:17

Definitely not A little life, that’s not about siblings but friends and there is a lot of trauma in that story. I feel I’ve heard this synopsis before and this is going to bug me.... frantically googling OP grin

GerrysSuccessor Mon 24-Sep-18 16:25:33

Thank you! I did try the radio 4 website but didn’t find it. Until recently I listened to more r2 than 4 so could have been a simon Mayo book club thing, but had no luck there either! Wish I could remember the date more precisely but the way my brain works I can tell you exactly where on my journey home I was, but couldn’t say if it was January or July!!!

GerrysSuccessor Mon 24-Sep-18 17:18:56

If it helps, I remember that it definitely wasn’t his first book, and that I got the impression that he was quite critically acclaimed and often wrote the kind of books that emphasised the ordinary...

MrsAird Mon 24-Sep-18 17:24:04

Could it be The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen?

Merrylegs Mon 24-Sep-18 17:32:52

Or a Weekend in New York by Benjamin Markovitz?

GerrysSuccessor Tue 25-Sep-18 18:04:30

Merrylegs has it! Thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: