Talk

Advanced search

August Book of the Month: Lullaby by Leïla Slimani - Read and join the discussion and author webchat on Tues 11 September, 9pm

(8 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Aug-18 17:12:40

Our second Summer book club read provides a thrilling contrast to our July book (Why Mummy Swears).

Lullaby is a dark exploration of the relationship between a middle-class Parisian couple and their nanny, wrapped up in a gripping psychological thriller. The book, by French-Moroccan journalist Leïla Slimani, has had everyone talking - and received acclaim in the form of prestigious French literary prize the Prix Goncourt. The English version has been translated from the French by Sam Taylor.

Find out more about the book, read - or listen to - an extract and see what the Mumsnet bloggers have to say about Lullaby. Leïla Slimani will be joining us to answer questions about the book on Tuesday 11 September between 9 and 10 pm,

If you're interested in joining us, do grab yourself a copy or download the audiobook and join in the discussion below.

LaDaronne Fri 03-Aug-18 16:12:51

Can you give a nod to the translator, I think it’s Sam Taylor? The English version didnt write itself, you know !

CommunistLegoBloc Fri 03-Aug-18 18:21:10

I’d be interested to know if the author had any contact with the parents in the real-life case this book was based on, or if she had their approval?

Either way, how did that impact the writing of the novel?

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Aug-18 11:56:39

Hi @LaDaronne - thanks for your note. You are completely right, apologies for missing it out originally. We have amended the post and the page.

Hope you enjoy reading Lullaby!

MNHQ

LaDaronne Wed 08-Aug-18 12:39:27

Thanks Sorcha! I'll be reading it in French, as my name suggests ;-)

Maplessglobe Fri 10-Aug-18 13:07:20

Thanks. Leïla, I came to this book after hearing you on the High Low podcast. I loved it. It was very dark and one of the most disturbing books I’ve read. Does it take it out of you, emotionally, to write something like this? How long did it take you to write? How did you find the writing process?
Thank you

IndicaMom Sat 11-Aug-18 21:57:59

Brilliant pick !! Am reading it currently and would join the discussion with the author on 9/11

stilllovingmysleep Wed 15-Aug-18 08:07:29

Just finished reading this book. I found it a very quick read, really carried you along. Bravo to the author.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: