Talk

Advanced search

April book of the month: The Cows by Dawn O'Porter. Read the book and join the author webchat on Weds 25 April, 9pm

(103 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Apr-18 17:52:22

We're delighted to announce our April book of the month is Dawn O'Porter's novel The Cows.

The Cows is columnist and TV presenter Dawn O'Porter's first foray into adult literature. Her YA novels Paper Aeroplanes and Goose received praise from critics for her humour and ability to capture the very essence of adolescent life. In The Cows, Dawn O'Porter captures the lives of millennials with the same vigour and humour. It's a fearless novel about female friendship, motherhood and finding your own voice in a world where it's often the social norm to follow the herd.

Find out more about the novel, read or listen to the first chapter and find read the Mumsnet bloggers' reviews. Buy a copy of the book and join us on Weds 25th April when you'll have the chance to chat to the author during our author webchat with Dawn O'Porter.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Jun-18 10:27:33

ButDoYouAvocado

Hi, my copy didnt arrive :-(

Sorry to hear this! I'll PM you and get a copy sent to you

Gurg Wed 06-Jun-18 13:36:19

Need discussion questions for The Cows for my book club tonight - anyone got any suggestions please as I cant find any online??? Thanks in advance!

ButDoYouAvocado Tue 05-Jun-18 22:43:25

Hi, my copy didnt arrive :-(

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-May-18 16:40:56

Just wanted to link to this great interview with Dawn O'Porter conducted by MN book club blogger Five Little Doves

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-18 10:22:52

littlerose12345

Well done to the winners and those who had their questions answered 😭

Aw, sorry you missed out on getting your question answered littlerose. In Dawn's defence there was a huge amount to get through. I've just found a copy of The Awkward Age on our office bookshelf and will send it over to you. I'll be in touch on PM to get your address. flowers

Belo Thu 26-Apr-18 07:13:48

I didn't join last night as I thought the book was easy to read, but nothing special. Too many coincidences, single dimensional characters and all a bit too much like 'chic lit'. I felt uncomfortable being on a chat with an author if I didn't like their book.

Maybe I'm only critical as we read this after reading 'Stay With Me'. Definitely one of the best books I've read in a long time.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Apr-18 22:38:40

If you're interested in joining Dawn's bookclub on instagram @the_cold_water_book_club here's a link to the non-fiction title she talked about:

The Rules Do Not Apply by Ariel Levy

I would totally recommend it - I knew very little about it when I picked it up last year and it blew me away. An incredible, moving and honest memoir.

VenusStarr Wed 25-Apr-18 22:31:01

Woohoo! smile thank you!

littlerose12345 Wed 25-Apr-18 22:30:15

Well done to the winners and those who had their questions answered 😭

NapQueen Wed 25-Apr-18 22:24:41

Oooooo Ive never won anything before!

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 22:23:51

RachelMumsnet

Dawn - you'll be pleased to hear you managed to get through more questions than the legend that is Lionel Shriver who was with us last week.

Sadly, that brings us to the end of the hour - what a shame - we really could have gone on for another couple of hours. Thanks to everyone for joining and to Dawn - a massive thank you for your full and honest answers. That was a brilliant webchat and we have all loved the opportunity to chat to you about The Cows.

Please will you join us again?

May book of the month is Francesca Segal’s The Awkward Age and we’ll be selecting 10 people who joined us tonight to receive free copies. We’ll be announcing the winners shortly.

Of course Thanks for having me. I'll email Lionel and let her know I am better than her!

THANKS FOR HAVING ME x

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Apr-18 22:22:48

Congratulations: CorbyGirl, Napqueen, ButDoYouAvocado, MamaCbear, AbsLouise, PavlovaPrincess, Helmetbymidnight, Venusstarr, Celama and FernieB who has each won a copy of May book of the month: The Awkward Age by Francesca Segal.

We'll Message you to confirm and ask for your address so we can organise for the books to be sent out to you.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Apr-18 22:01:45

Dawn - you'll be pleased to hear you managed to get through more questions than the legend that is Lionel Shriver who was with us last week.

Sadly, that brings us to the end of the hour - what a shame - we really could have gone on for another couple of hours. Thanks to everyone for joining and to Dawn - a massive thank you for your full and honest answers. That was a brilliant webchat and we have all loved the opportunity to chat to you about The Cows.

Please will you join us again?

May book of the month is Francesca Segal’s The Awkward Age and we’ll be selecting 10 people who joined us tonight to receive free copies. We’ll be announcing the winners shortly.

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 22:00:32

Thanks everyone, that was fast and intense. Sorry I didn't answer more.

I really mean it that I love all feedback to my work. If someone finishes one of my books and has anything to say at all, I see that as a job well done. I don't try to write books that people love, I just try to write stories that offer an honest take of how ridiculous real life can be.

Thank you to anyone who read The Cows. I'm so proud of it. As any of you with kids will know, doing anything in the first year of motherhood is a real challenge, so the fact that I wrote anything at all still feels like a miracle. Eternally grateful to anyone who takes the time to read my work. It was always my dream to write novels, and I hope I get to do it forever. Sleep well, Dawn x x

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 21:56:58

VileyRose

Read this on our drive to Scotland

DON'T READ AND DRIVE!

NapQueen Wed 25-Apr-18 21:56:22

Dawn, if they asked, would you play Eleanor Oliphant? Sorry not your book but your bookclub choice

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 21:56:03

LOVE THESE..

RachelMumsnet

Can we put to you the Mumsnet questions that we put to all our authors:

What was your favourite childhood book? - The Witches, Roald Dahl

What was the last book you gave to someone as a gift? - The Rules do Not Apply, Ariel Levy - a brilliant memoir. Join in my Instagram book club if you can @The_Cold_Water_Book_club. it's out non fiction book of the month.

What was the last book you read? - That one...

Can you describe the room(s) where you wrote The Cows?

- ALL OVER THE PLACE...I started it in an apartment in the West Village in New York...but I deleted everything I wrote there, because it was terrible.

I wrote the majority of it in an Airbnb in London. But I finished it in a communal work space in LA, where I was generally screaming 'STOP PLAYING FUCKING PING PONG' at freelancers who didn't have much to do.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-Apr-18 21:55:27

AliW72

Oh shit....I’m so sorry I think I gave something away in my previous post. Massive apologies I’m a complete virgin to this 🙈

Don't worry! It's really hard not to but we;re just aware there may be some folks watching who have yet to read.

Celama Wed 25-Apr-18 21:55:18

Thanks for answering Dawn, I'm probably just a wee bit jealous that I do worry about what people think of me too much!

VenusStarr Wed 25-Apr-18 21:53:31

Hi Dawn!

I loved the book, had me laughing and crying. I've not read your books before but will definitely be seeking out your other books smile

What's next in the pipeline?

Ps: love your instagram stories too, feel like a bit of a cyber-stalker! ;)

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 21:53:04

Helmetbymidnight

Ok, a question for dawn:

I'm interested in books about female friendships- actually started a thread on here bout them somewhere- we got: the elena ferente novels, three things about Elsie, the animateurs, not much else, do you have any recommendations on that subject- or any in general?

I was glad that while there was some romance/happy ending it's not all about that- is that a deliberate choice and have you ever been encouraged to end/edit differently?

Also, what are you writing next?

Hey again!

Hmmm, I don't know many either...maybe that's why I like writing them...

I JUST came up with the plot for my next novel...it's very different and I am so excited to write it. It will be out Summer 2019.

xx

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 21:51:35

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo

I'm about a third of the way through and really not sure what to make of it confused partly because I'm quite prudish!

My local library has several copies so worth a look if you don't want to buy it.

Hey!

YES, SUPPORT LIBRARIES!!! Always x x x x

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 21:50:59

IdleDoughnut

Hi Dawn,

Without giving too much away, I liked how all three female characters become a lot closer. Will you possibly be re-exploring the characters in a second book? pretty please grin

Hey Doughnut

Ahh thanks. No, the story ends there...but thank you for enjoying it!

Helmetbymidnight Wed 25-Apr-18 21:50:38

It's blind sided you numpties grin

DawnOPorter Wed 25-Apr-18 21:49:58

VileyRose

I didn't enjoy it. The characters felt empty sad

Hey

Fair enough! I have often read books that other people have raved about and not understood AT ALL. If you don't relate, you don't relate. Luckily, there are other books!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »