Talk

Advanced search

Book of the Month - Book of the Year

(6 Posts)
Belo Wed 27-Dec-17 13:15:38

I've been thinking back of all the books I've read this year and in particular the books I've read with Mumsnet and been able to join in a live discussion with the author. I feel really lucky to have been able to ask authors whose work I've loved a question about their writing. I also like the fact that I've been introduced to new authors and really enjoyed books that I wouldn't have chosen myself. So, thank you mumsnet!

I'm not sure what my favourite book was. I thorougly enjoyed the Mandibles and Days Without End. Both stories have stayed with me and I find myself thinking back to them. I'm wondering what the book of the year is for other mumsnetters?

I've listed the books below (please correct me if I've missed any).

The Power - Naomi Alderman
A Boy Mad of Blocks - Keith Stuart
Everyone Brave is Forgiven - Chris Cleave
The Mandibles - Lionel Shriver
The Tidal Zone - Sarah Moss
Commonwealth - Ann Pratchet
Swingtime - Zadie Smith
My name is Leon - Kit de Waal
Days Without End - Sebastian Barry

gailforce1 Wed 10-Jan-18 22:15:14

What has happened to Book of the Month? Really enjoyed the author chats and reading books that I otherwise would have missed.
Please Mumsnet let us know what is happening!

Growingboys Fri 12-Jan-18 15:32:34

Me too.
@Mumsnet???

Wolfiefan Fri 12-Jan-18 15:36:47

There's a 2018 reading group

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jan-18 15:57:08

Thanks for starting the thread Belo. Your list is exactly right - what a great year! My favourite was undoubtedly Days Without End. I still feel emotional thinking about that book - and the webchat with Sebastian Barry was so great too.

We're pleased to announce that bookclub is back in February. Make sure you're signed up to the books newsletter for news of the first few books and the discussion thread for the first book will open on 1st Feb. We look forward to joining you for more great author webchats.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jan-18 15:59:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: