Talk

Advanced search

February book of the month: A Boy Made of Blocks by Keith Stuart. Read now ahead of author webchat on Wednesday 1 March, 9-10pm.

(124 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Jan-17 17:16:34

Our February book of the month is A Boy Made of Blocks, Keith Stuart's debut novel and one of Richard and Judy's Spring selection. We have 50 free copies up for grabs and we'll be holding a discussion about the book and webchat with Keith Stuart on Wednesday 1 March, at 9pm.

In this book Keith has drawn on his own experience of raising his autistic son. It's funny and at times deeply moving, expounds the joys and trials of parenting - and has a cracking plot - making it the perfect book to read on a winter's evening.

Find out more about the book and apply for a free copy before Monday 23 January and put the date in your diary to join the discussion and chat to Keith Stuart on this thread on 1 March.

SunshineOutdoors Mon 16-Jan-17 19:59:39

Done. Hope I get picked smile

TeaCakeLiterature Mon 16-Jan-17 20:14:49

Done! Excited!

Elianna Mon 16-Jan-17 20:53:36

Sounds like a fab book. Fingers crossed, I get picked.

foxessocks Mon 16-Jan-17 21:05:44

Done, this sounds fab

aristocat Mon 16-Jan-17 21:12:23

smilesounds like a fab book.

fruityb Mon 16-Jan-17 21:17:12

This is an incredible book. I absolutely loved this.

HollyJollyDillydolly Mon 16-Jan-17 21:19:48

I've read his book. I really enjoyed it, highly recommended.

whatwoulddexterdo Mon 16-Jan-17 21:37:57

I have no direct experience of the real subject matter but do have a son obsessed with minecraft. This book has had lots of advance press and I would love to take part in the discussion.

yellowmoley123 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:39:33

Sounds brilliant hope I get chosen.

fruityb Mon 16-Jan-17 21:44:30

Oh I'd love to be in the discussion. I read this on an advance copy last summer and have raved about it since.

2tfrutti Mon 16-Jan-17 22:03:22

Would love to win a copy if this - heard a lot about it recently, all good!

Butteredpars1ps Mon 16-Jan-17 22:05:35

This looks like a good one. Looking forward to the book and the discussion.

NaughtyRed82 Tue 17-Jan-17 02:41:59

Done. Have an autistic son myself who is mad in minecraft and has been for a long time. Just recently bought it on his PS4 and now it's something I play with him and he teaches me what to do grin and I've managed to impress him with my building skills so far smile

ProseccoandPizza Tue 17-Jan-17 07:14:50

Done. Also have a boy obsessed with Lego and minecraft!

MistyMeena Tue 17-Jan-17 08:45:23

Done! Sounds fab. I work with a lot of autistic children, Minecraft is a big feature!

Hygellig Tue 17-Jan-17 10:13:16

Just applied for this. I thought my son might like Minecraft, but I tried to play it with him and couldn't figure it out at all - perhaps because I am 30 years too old and didn't find it very intuitive. I was hoping his 12yo cousin could help him. He does like Toca Blocks, so maybe we'll have another go. Anyway, maybe this book would give me some tips on both parenting and Minecraft, as well as being an interesting read.

kateyjane Tue 17-Jan-17 10:17:51

This book looks fantastic! I work with pupils who have autism. Minecraft and lego are amazing resources to use in order to increase engagement & enjoyment. Looking forward to reading from a parent's perspective.

HelenaGWells Tue 17-Jan-17 15:05:24

I think I entered correctly blushthis would be amazing to read. Can we still join the webchat if we don't win?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-Jan-17 15:33:31

HelenaGWells

I think I entered correctly blushthis would be amazing to read. Can we still join the webchat if we don't win?

Absolutely! Please do!

insan1tyscartching Tue 17-Jan-17 20:11:32

Done would love a copy. Have read probably hundreds of books on autism since ds was diagnosed twenty years ago, I'm not obsessive about it anymore but always glad to read of others' experiences. Ds is a bit too old for Minecraft but dd who also has ASD was Minecraft mad for a while.

Slaymill Tue 17-Jan-17 21:02:31

This book is on my wish list and resonates with my situation fingers crossed.

BlackIsTheNewBlack Tue 17-Jan-17 21:18:29

Done. Fingers crossed!

Sharon17 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:42:14

I'd love a copy of this. I work with autistic children and young people.

MacNcheese87 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:35:21

Done. Mum of a boy practically made of blocks too. Autism can be really difficult at times and it's nice to read positive, funny or generally upbeat stuff about it.

Would love to take part in a book discussion. I have space for a new hobby and I quite like talking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now