Talk

Advanced search

Non-fiction book of month: Unf*ck Your Habitat by Rachel Hoffman

(76 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Jan-17 12:58:18

Would you describe your home as 'a f*cking mess'? Do you set about on a spring clean only to find yourself hours later sitting in the same mess looking through old photo albums?

Rachel Hoffman offers up a no-nonsense approach to de-cluttering your home with brilliant tips on how to maintain a tidy home with minimum effort. Unf*ck your habitat started as a tumblr blog with daily and weekly challenges. The blog now has over 30,000 followers and Rachel has put all her ideas together into her new book.

Apply now for a free copy before 10am Monday 16 January. If you're one of the lucky 50 come back to this thread and let us know what you think.

We're also offering the chance to put your questions about cleaning and de-cluttering to author Rachel Hoffman (whether you have read the book or not). Post all your questions for Rachel before midday on Monday 13 February. We'll post up her answers on this thread before the end of the Feb.

incogKNEEto Mon 09-Jan-17 15:11:36

Have applied, this is my plan for 2017!

ATailofTwoKitties Mon 09-Jan-17 15:13:39

'De-clutting' sounds strangely rude, RachelMumsnet!

Tempted to apply for the book, but I suspect I'd end up reading it rather than actually tidying.

bexleyboop Mon 09-Jan-17 15:26:14

I've applied. Just moved house and I'm fed up of all the mess! This might just help us get a bit more sorted.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Jan-17 15:27:05

ATailofTwoKitties

'De-clutting' sounds strangely rude, RachelMumsnet!

Tempted to apply for the book, but I suspect I'd end up reading it rather than actually tidying.

blush have done with the de-clutting and amended! Thanks for pointing out

highlandcoo Mon 09-Jan-17 16:29:06

Excellent timing for this book as we all emerge from the detritus of Christmas and vow to live in tidier homes!
Would love to receive a copy and would try hard to follow its best advice.

GloGirl Mon 09-Jan-17 17:05:05

Ooh me me me!

please

QueenCarpetJewels Mon 09-Jan-17 17:11:29

Oh god, pleeeease pick me, I need this. I need a really big hard kick up the arse and Rachel's book sounds like just the thing!

RortyCrankle Mon 09-Jan-17 17:32:25

I've applied, really need help getting started. I think right, I'll start one room at a time, half heartedly move a few things around the room and then collapse with a sigh.

Not being morbid, I'm in my 70s and disabled, hopefully won't kick the bucket yet but am terrified of doing so without having everything in order. Just the thought of my sister (who I see for half an hour once a year) gleefully rifling through my personal stuff should be enough of an impetus but I need a PLAN.

Sorry, TMI but desperate to do this so would appreciate you considering my plight - thank you. smile

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:25:50

I've also applied. I'm definitely one who gets sidetracked by non-essential things when trying to declutter.

The house definitely needs a complete facelift, but we can only really start with that once we've decluttered.

NotAPuffin Mon 09-Jan-17 20:02:08

I'd love a copy - we've just moved to a new habitat and would love to not fuck it up : )

ApocalypseMeow Mon 09-Jan-17 20:06:17

Applied, would love to have a de cluttered home so I have time to do what I really want with any spare time life gives me! (This is definitely not continual cleaning around the clutter!)

ScuttlbuttHarpy Mon 09-Jan-17 20:06:29

I've applied...I still have xmas decs up, just shows how lazy I am really....

kizzywizz Mon 09-Jan-17 21:20:39

applied

FreshGarbage Mon 09-Jan-17 21:27:42

Generous grandparents and 5 children in the house...book is much needed!

Letmesleepalready Mon 09-Jan-17 22:09:02

We're about to move too, and I'm hoping for a fresh start on the housework front!

Pinkgeek Mon 09-Jan-17 22:15:11

I've applied.
Please please send me this book! I've just spent a fortune on decorating my house and can already see it becoming a fucked habitat!

Lovelybangers Mon 09-Jan-17 22:43:51

I have applied for this one.

Am not too bad at binning my junk but I need to be able to 'encourage ' DH and DS to do the same. Hoping there will be tips.

YesThisIsMe Mon 09-Jan-17 23:18:20

Something tells me that competition may be fierce for this one but my fingers are crossed.

FoolishFly Tue 10-Jan-17 00:08:09

Swearing and housework - that could work.

TheThingsWeAdmitOnMN Tue 10-Jan-17 01:50:19

Spooky. I intended to, and thought I had, on another thread then went to the kitchen, on the way there & back I was thinking about how I need to get rid of some stuff but it's mostly stuff I love/is sentimental as I don't 'do' clutter...when. Came back this thread was open...so I'm off to put my name down! Fate & all that. If I do get a copy I'm happy to post it to someone who doesn't, once I've read it.

crankyagnes Tue 10-Jan-17 07:19:42

I've applied - I've lurked on the thread in Housekeeping and visited the website. I have to agree with Foolish Fly - swearing and housework do seem to go together grin

Gusthetheatrecat Tue 10-Jan-17 09:16:39

Oh yes please!

lottietiger Tue 10-Jan-17 09:18:25

Ooh I've put my name down for this could definitely do with a kick up the de- cluttering

NoSquirrels Tue 10-Jan-17 12:16:46

Awesome. Yes please. We are good at fucking up our habitat, could use tips on unfucking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now