Talk

Advanced search

November Book of the Month: Waking Lions by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen. Join the webchat with the author and her translator on Monday 14 November, 9pm.

(109 Posts)
UrsulaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Oct-16 17:24:00

November's book of the month is the gripping literary thriller Waking Lions by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen.

You can expect to miss your stop and lose hours to this consuming tale, based on a true event, about a respected Israeli neurosurgeon whose split-second decision one evening leaves him spiralling into a web of deception, corruption and guilt.

Apply for one of 50 free copies before 14 October, read the book over the next few weeks and join us back here on 14 November 9-10pm to discuss it and put questions to Ayelet and the book's translator, Sondra Silverston.

If you're not lucky enough to bag a free copy, we'd still love for you to come and join in the discussion - buy a paperback here.

BearAusten Mon 14-Nov-16 22:01:21

Thank you for an excellent webchat.

aristocat Mon 14-Nov-16 22:01:59

What a wonderful insight into the work you both do, thank you. Wishing you all the best with your future work smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Nov-16 22:02:29

That brings us to the end of the hour and it’s really time we allow Ayelet and Sondra get to bed!

We’re so grateful to you both for joining us this evening and answering questions about this wonderful book and your work. Sondra, it;s been fascinating to hear about your work and agree that translators deserve much more recognition! Good luck to you both with your future projects and Ayelet – wishing you all the best wishes for the birth - such an exciting time!

Many thanks to all those who joined us tonight. This is the last book of the month webchat for 2016 but do keep your eyes peeled for news of our first book of the month for Jan 2017. Night all x

SondraSilverston Mon 14-Nov-16 22:02:41

Good night all. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk with you.
Sondra

MummysGotMakeup Mon 14-Nov-16 22:03:35

Many thanks for answering our questions and for giving us an insight into your thoughts Ayelet and Sondra. Best wishes to you both for the future and let us know the baby news at the end of the month!

impostersyndrome Mon 14-Nov-16 22:12:43

Great webchat. All credit to Mumsnet for including the translator, so often forgotten when crediting a book in translation.

FoxInABox Mon 14-Nov-16 22:34:29

I loved this, really unique. I would love to know what inspires you?

FoxInABox Mon 14-Nov-16 22:37:25

I'm way behind, sorry!

minsmum Wed 18-Jan-17 23:06:18

Just to update we read this for our book club at my suggestion and much to my surprise it was universally liked. Not everyone loved it, but they all liked it, for many different reasons. Some for making them think about how they would act, others for what they felt was an insight into a different culture. The thing that the book had all of us dwelling on was how hard it must be to be an immigrant. Thank you once again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »