Talk

Advanced search

Come and chat to Ian McEwan about his exceptional career and acclaimed novels, including his latest, The Children Act on MONDAY 1 JUNE, 9-10pm

(155 Posts)
TillyMumsnetBookClub (MNHQ) Fri 24-Apr-15 13:57:30

Our May author Ian McEwan is one of Britain's most outstanding, successful and acclaimed novelists, winning multiple awards over his long career. His subtle, unshowy and precise style is perfectly suited to his meticulously researched subjects - from brain surgery in Saturday to MI5 in Sweet Tooth.

In his pacy, gripping new novel, The Children Act, McEwan deftly investigates the legal system through his protagonist Fiona Maye, a High Court judge. When her husband Jack asks for her permission to have an affair, Fiona buries herself in her work in the family courts as a counterbalance to her crumbling personal life. But when an emergency case involving a young Jehovah's Witness boy comes up, Fiona's emotional involvement with him leads to disturbance but also self-knowledge, across both her public and private life.

You can find out more on our book of the month page, and find information covering McEwan's stellar career on his website.

Vintage have 50 copies of THE CHILDREN ACT to give to Mumsnetters: to claim your copy please go to the book of the month page. If you're not lucky enough to bag one of those, you can always get a Kindle version here or paperback here.

We are absolutely thrilled and honoured that Ian will be joining us on Monday 1st June, 9-10pm to discuss THE CHILDREN ACT, his writing life, his many award-winning novels plus much more. Please feel free to discuss the book here throughout the month and then come and meet Ian on the night, ask him a question about any of his novels or simply tell him what you thought of his latest book. Look forward to seeing you on the 1st.

GetHappy Sat 25-Apr-15 12:03:00

have applied ... fingerd crossed!!

have been toying with the idea to get this book as reviews seems good but it is not something I would usually read!

youronlypossession Mon 27-Apr-15 17:59:25

I've applied. I love Ian McEwan's books.

GiniCooper Mon 27-Apr-15 18:59:35

I have entered too, I'd love it for my holiday read.

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 27-Apr-15 19:08:13

Saw posters for this at the train station. Looks very good.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 27-Apr-15 19:49:01

I listened to this on Radio 4 some time ago, have entered, any chance of more address lines?

Butteredparsnips Mon 27-Apr-15 20:01:58

Ooh I heard him being interviewed about this a few weeks ago. I thought it sounded very good, not actually read any of his books before but a willing to be converted

Southeastdweller Mon 27-Apr-15 20:32:03

How exciting! This was one of my favourite books of last year so I'm really looking forward to the webchat.

ISpyPlumPie Mon 27-Apr-15 20:41:34

Have entered too - has been on my to read list for a while.

Stars66 Mon 27-Apr-15 21:53:18

Oooooh this looks fabsmile

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 28-Apr-15 09:14:21

Fantastic - have entered

ThePaperBagPrincess Tue 28-Apr-15 10:11:03

LOVE Ian McEwan - have entered!

wavesandsmiles Tue 28-Apr-15 10:53:52

I have loved Ian McEwan since first becoming introduced to his work when we studied The Child In Time at university - have entered for the book, and cannot wait to join for the webchat

butterflyballs Tue 28-Apr-15 14:29:54

Fingers and toes crossed! I read so much, it drives my family crazy but I just adore getting lost in a story.

YonicScrewdriver Tue 28-Apr-15 20:49:28

Oh this sounds good.

urbanturban Tue 28-Apr-15 22:03:44

Have read reviews of this and it looks fantastic!
Would love to win a copy so I can take it to bed, attempt to read it then drop it on my face as I fall asleep (every night!) gringrinwinkwink

HowlyBabblyBansheeeeeee Wed 29-Apr-15 08:07:06

Exciting! I absolutely love his books.

TillyMumsnetBookClub (MNHQ) Wed 29-Apr-15 13:49:52

How wonderful to see so many posts already. I'm thrilled that Ian McEwan is coming onto Mumsnet, and am struggling to pick just one question out of the hundreds I'd like to ask him.

Hope copies get out to you all safely and looking forward to seeing you all on Monday 1 June.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 29-Apr-15 15:47:23

OMG - are we all getting copies?!!

I'm a little excited

Mouldypineapple Wed 29-Apr-15 19:57:37

This book sounds brilliant. Having worked with some of the issues it covers it will be interesting to see how it compares with my experience.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 29-Apr-15 19:59:27

I have finished it! Very good.

GozerTheGozerian Wed 29-Apr-15 20:03:30

ooh this is fabulous!!! LOVE Ian McEwan. Good webguest MNHQ!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-May-15 09:45:52

The book giveaway is now closed. We'll be informing the people who have been allocated copies by the end of the day by email. If you've not been successful then do order up a copy and read ahead of the webchat with Ian on 1st June.

MargoReadbetter Thu 07-May-15 18:09:23

Thanks for the copy. I look forward to the web chat. It's going in my diary right away.

LorrieJ Thu 07-May-15 19:03:51

What a great surprise to find this book in the post box this evening. I'm really looking forward to reading it and taking part in the q&a.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now