Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Why Mummy Drinks by Gill Sims - what did you think?

(43 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Oct-17 12:32:51

From successful blogger and creator of Facebook sensation Peter and Jane, Gill Sims, comes an honest, embarrassingly relatable and just a little bit sweary debut novel. Find out more about the book.

It's Mummy's 39th birthday. She is staring down the barrel of a future of people asking if she wants to come to their advanced yoga classes, and polite book clubs where everyone claims to be tiddly after one glass of Pinot Grigio.

But Mummy does not want to go quietly into that good night of women with sensible haircuts who 'live for their children' and try to trump each other with their offspring's achievements and their latest holidays. Suddenly she remembers a gem of an idea she's had…

We ask all winners to share their thoughts on the book. Everyone who posts their detailed feedback by midday, Monday 11 December will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

Why Mummy Drinks is published on 19 October. Buy the book on Amazon

This giveaway is sponsored by HarperCollins

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

BetterEatCheese Tue 10-Oct-17 22:36:21

Would love to read this!

Fanjango Wed 11-Oct-17 00:21:36

Ohhh. I follow the Peter and Jane page on facebook. Would love the chance to read this. If it's as good as that it should be one awesome read!!

user1480267413 Fri 13-Oct-17 18:22:10

Sounds like good fun. Would enjoy it I am sure!

Nessiej78 Fri 13-Oct-17 18:31:09

Yes please. I'd love to read this. Mummy is exactly the same age as me so I'm sure we'd have plenty in common!!

WhereTheFuckIsWonderWoman Fri 13-Oct-17 18:34:15

A friend gave me this coaster recently. The book would look very good next to it, along with a bottle glass of wine of course 😄🍷

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 13-Oct-17 18:39:21

Sounds good to me!

SheSaidNoFuckThat Fri 13-Oct-17 18:42:56

Done, love her page

glenthebattleostrich Fri 13-Oct-17 18:45:41

Judgy dog is my hero. I luffs him. Love her Instagram page too because of the handsome puppy.

OnlyInBerkshire Tue 17-Oct-17 21:04:33

Yes please!

Madmarchhare71 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:29:04

Yes please, sounds hilarious and relatable.

guineapig1 Sat 21-Oct-17 07:54:24

Yes please!

Nannyplumssillyoldelf Sun 22-Oct-17 06:34:54

I would love this book.

DameDaffodil Sun 22-Oct-17 07:05:26

Yes please, it sounds great!

Oblomov17 Sun 22-Oct-17 07:11:58

Yes please.

popsocks Fri 03-Nov-17 13:46:45

I recieved my book today.
I am going away in December so am going to try and save it to read then.
I am excited to read this book as i love her facebook page.

delshwragon Tue 07-Nov-17 09:49:54

Received my copy last week and am presently cackling loudly in Costa... and attracting some very odd looks! It is very funny, and crazily true to life! To think that there are other women out there who have this struggle on a daily basis is strangely comforting and very therapeutic!!

RandomMess Sun 12-Nov-17 21:38:48

I’m finding it slow going at the moment tbh...

Fourmagpies Mon 13-Nov-17 10:22:42

I loved this book. I did find all the FMLs a bit annoying, partly at the beginning as I couldn't remember what it stood for and it bugged me everytime I read it. It's not an expression I particularly like (my personal favourite being FFS).
BUT apart from that, everything else in the book I could relate to and I really enjoyed it. It is well written and laugh out loud funny. It made my life seem much more normal!

Alicef84 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:41:47

(Watch out, some semi-spoilers, kind of)

I started this book knowing that I had committed to reviewing it, which meant that I’ve been writing sentences in my head all the way through. I’m going to try and get some of these down to give a bit of a feel for my whole Reading-Why-Mummy-Drinks experience.
It began with a lot of sighing. My sister and I have thought for years that a nice modern up to date Bridget Jones would really improve our lives, but when I started this that’s what I felt it was, but Bridget Jones is so perfect that maybe people whose formative years featured Bridget Jones didn’t really need a new, kind of copycat, one.
Actually, quite a lot happened and it definitely kept me reading. I got it a week ago and finished it this afternoon.
I felt pretty unhappy about the marriage at the core of the book – at the beginning it felt not so much a little boring and same-y, more borderline abusive and certainly loveless. This changed, which I’m not sure was due to real change or slightly wobbly characterisation. The children also suffered from this in places – one had a fully formed personality but the other felt more like just a generic child.
All in all, I did enjoy the book but probably won’t be waiting eagerly for the author’s next one – it was interesting and funny but not unique in the easy reading woman’s diary world. 3 out of 5 I’d say.

duggerlugs Wed 15-Nov-17 21:46:37

Thanks for the opportunity to read the book. I started it not having read the authors other book so didn't know what to expect.
It is light hearted and very true in parts to a mum life however I felt some things were cliched and maybe fml isn't a northern thing but I didn't click with saying that and the mum says it a lot. The reality of a mum getting that much drink in seemed unreal...unless I just dream about doing it more however tiredness and the thought of more weight gain creeps in to stop me drinking that much when i know exercise is lower down the pecking order of mum life. That said the book is a light hearted look at the funny things that happen so imagine most can relate. It feels like I have read all the funny memes on a Mum/women's life in one boom though. Enjoy those still reading.

starlight36 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:00:29

Thank you for the opportunity to read the book. I hadn't read 'Peter and Jane' so it was my first introduction to the writing of Gill Sims. Like others I felt it was similar to Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones. The principal characters are quite similar - deliberately flawed. I really related to Ellen's vision of how she wanted family life to run and how the reality didn't measure up. The description of their marriage didn't initially seem very healthy but I viewed it as how a hassled grumpy Ellen was viewing it and reporting it - similar to how my close friends over-exaggerate their husband's irritating misdemeanours over a ranty glass of wine!
I think many of us do relate to needing a drink after a tough day of juggling, although appreciate again this was probably exaggerated more for comic effect.
I liked the addition of Louisa (Amaris) and her brood. Again not all of us will have to deal with such extreme in-laws but we can all relate to family dramas and the curious habits of house guests!
An entertaining light read. I would definitely recommend to other mums (and dads to see what we put up with!)

Thisoneorthatone Thu 23-Nov-17 12:23:32

I really didn't like this book. I wanted to like it and to read funny mum anecdotes that would take me away from my own family and make me laugh but despite the fact I'll usually read anything, I just found it really tiresome and I gave up.

This book might be aimed at people who will read it and think "Yes! That's my life! Haha, that happened to me!". I love Mumsnet for exactly that and find posters I encounter here are far more humorous and relatable for that sort of feel-better comradeship reading. In this book the anecdotes weren't witty enough and I found the tone insufferably annoying. This is written in the style of Bridget Jones, as diary entries with chapters from September through the school year, which is quite an appealing format to dip in and out of, and I do really like the yellow cover.

This book didn't give me any reason to read someone else's relatively dull life with small children and a dog instead of living my own. I have never read the 'Peter and Jane' Facebook page so maybe I am just not the right audience. Sorry.

Baldwin1973 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:35:23

This book wasnt really my cup of tea. It is a very light hearted read and was certainly entertaining in parts but on the whole i found the book to rely too much on tired cliches. I didn't feel like the book had much substance to it- the whole scummy mummy thing leaves me a bit cold. It was a very easy read but not funny to me and too much of a cliche. Sorry

busymummy0411 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:47:23

I loved this book! There are some very realistic, all been there, sort of moments, and some very unrealistic moments (making £1000s on an app that apparently only took a day to create...) but the characters were sweet, and it was a light hearted read. Nice to have something light that isn't all about meeting the dream man and getting married. I read some parts out loud to my husband and actually laughed out loud at some parts. Think my SIL would find this very funny too, as well as a couple of friends. Would definitely recommend for Xmas holiday, 'at home with the kids' reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now