Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Supersaurs: Raptors of Paradise - what did your child think?

(21 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Oct-17 11:33:11

Imagine a world where dinosaurs have survived… and evolved. Welcome to the world of Supersaurs! Find out more about the first book in this exciting adventure series, ideal for readers aged 9+.

Bea Kingsley lives in a world where humans live side by side with 'saurs' – a world in which her parents disappeared when she was just a baby.

So when her and her formidable grandmother and her godfather suddenly embark on a trip to the remote islands of Aru to see the elusive Raptors of Paradise, Bea starts asking questions. Was the journey to the islands a dangerous mistake, or the beginning of the adventure of a lifetime?

We ask all winners to share their child's thoughts on the book. Everyone who posts their detailed feedback by midday, Monday 11 December will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

Buy the book on Amazon

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

Scoleah Fri 13-Oct-17 15:34:26

All done grin

HoofWankingSpangleCunt Tue 17-Oct-17 12:42:04

Is it my phone playing up? I filled in details, got as far as ticking the agreement box and then no way of sending the form. confused

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Oct-17 11:15:04

Hi @HoofWankingSpangleCunt - sorry to hear you couldn't submit the form. Occasionally errors like this do occur so it's worth trying it on a different device. If you send your details to bookclub@mumsnet.com by 4pm today (Mumsnet name, name and address and age of child - to check it's the appropriate age range for the book), I can add you to the form. We only pass the relevant details onto the publisher if you're selected (winners picked at random), and if you are, you must be happy to post your child's feedback on this discussion thread. Thanks! flowers

tworonnies1957 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:28:33

Hi there received a email at 11.22 this morning saying I had won a copy then the postman delivered it at 1150 this morning that what I call great service .Feedback to follow

Susangilley7 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:14:53

What a great book this is. My 10 year old granddaughter was thrilled and enthralled with it. Thank you Mumsnet. It was a great "journey" and she loved the pictures as well.

RainyDaisy Mon 30-Oct-17 20:29:49

I received this book this morning....I assume that I have won a copy and my child has to review?! I have not received any email
Notification or information with the book, so originally thought I had ordered it without remembering. Anyway, my child has started it and we will post a review once he had finished.

Larnipoo Tue 31-Oct-17 21:34:38

My 9 year old Tommy absolutely loved this book and has nearly finished it. Gorgeous illustrations and a fun/engaging book. Thoroughly recommend

AdmiralSnackbar Wed 01-Nov-17 20:14:53

Thanks so much for our copy!
DS (10 and in yr6) is really enjoying it so far - he has just finished chapter three and very keen to find out what happens next, he predicts lots of adventures ahead! He likes the characters (I was quite amused by Theodore Logan as a character name grin ) and says the dialogue is quite funny at times, also particularly keen on the little chapter sub headings as a taster of what's to come in the next few pages.
Apparently, the illustrations are "probably the best I have seen!" - he thinks they are very detailed, likes the shading and has declared them "so cool". He likes the smaller illustrations that are peppered throughout, too...as well as the full page ones.
A great start, I'll come back once he's finished with the final verdict, but I'm sure it will be a very positive one!
Thanks again smile

TracyKNixon Mon 06-Nov-17 09:15:17

My 12 year old son has just finished this book and he really enjoyed it! It cleverly merges the world of interactive and the traditional - a pop up book using modern tech. It's a clever way to get kids immersed in what we all grew up with - a good old book! The way the images come to life are not a gimmick though - the story is engaging and even when he doesn't have his iPod, my son loves to lose himself in the adventures.
I'll defo be buying the rest of this series for my son to enjoy! Thank you for the recommendation and free copy!

pinkjjf27 Mon 06-Nov-17 16:16:47

I enter this for my 8 year old son who is mildly autistic he found it a bit heavy going and gave up . My 9 year old daughter was at first a little un unsure by the cover of the book and though it would not be for her either. However after a bit of persuasion from me she gave it a go and couldn't put it down . She said it was" exciting with an old fashion style a bit like Enid Blyton. (who she loves) I felt like I was in another world"
The book looks very traditional and its reminiscent of books I read as a child. Hard back is somewhat of a novelty these days and went down well with my kids. Once she finished it she encouraged my son to try it again. We have been taking turns to read it with and to him and he is now enjoying it.
I Think this book is charming in that it mixes traditional with contemporary and the illustrations are just stunning .Thank you for sending me this book , I have a feeling it will be treasured and passed on for a long time.

tiddledpink Tue 07-Nov-17 10:10:22

So we've just finished our copy and I have to say it has been a massive hit.

Everything from the cover, to the illustrations have been a refreshing change to the books we have been reading together recently and it's almost a throwback to the books I enjoyed when I was the age of both DSS and DN.

The book itself has clearly been written in such away that the reader feels completely transported and immersed in the world within the book.

Initially we thought that having Bea as the main character might put DS off but he genuinely didn't care and frequently commented on 'how awesome that girls life is'.

It has been amazing to see both kids completely engrossed in a book, and completely fascinated by the illustrations. We are already on the lookout for book number 2 and can't wait to download the app to really bring the illustrations to life.

Both the boys have declared the book is:
*funny
*really clever
*totally awesome

OH and I are now fielding questions about being able to go to Indonesia and bring a dinosaur back home.

A huge thumbs up from us!

katb1973 Tue 07-Nov-17 14:49:14

Another fabulous book Mumsnet. My 10 year old was in heaven. Storyline was based on Bea, whose adventurer parents disappeared when she was a baby, Bunty, her grandmother and best friend Theodore exploring the dinosaur infested island determined to solve the mystery of where her parents are. We downloaded the app on my phone and the added thrill of watching the pictures literally jumping off the page made this book irresistable. He also loved the list of dinosuars on the back pages and referred back to them over and over again as he read. Great stocking stuffer this Christmas.

VicKWhish Tue 07-Nov-17 18:59:51

Thank you for our copy! This review is from Theo age 11.
One of my favourite parts of the book are the illustrations. You instantly want to read it. On the first page there is an insert of the Earth, coming from the Sauria trading company. The characters you can really see what they are like. Even the names help, like Christian Hayters and Biggie. The shadow raptors are my favourite and you don’t even need to read its inclusion in the little guide at the back. Imagine if in Jurassic Park, the velociraptors could talk.I just really think the shadow raptors are the best because we can all imagine real raptors like them and the ability to talk, just is amazing!
It’s a really thrilling story, with the bond between human and animal - two animals that lived 65000,000 years separate bonding.
Theodore is a lot like Indiana Jones. He’s just the character Dr Jones would be if Indiana got a job at Jurassic Park. The key to a good book is if the first chapter is great. This book achieves that. The prologue is on,y a page but sums up what is happening with the bandits on the spice island. The start of each chapter is always good and the book ends in just the right place for a sequel which I believe to be the Stegosorcerer.
It’s quite long and does focus on the bandits a little too much. If there is one thing we could improve in the book, is that I would like to see the dinosaurs defend the main characters in the middle part. The rest of the book, I have no complaints.
The book really makes you think about dinosaurs. Could they actually have spoken other animal noises? I really like that idea!
This book is so good at dinosaur knowledge and the made-up ones are such good dinosaurs, I would love a real shadow raptor!

tworonnies1957 Wed 08-Nov-17 23:11:55

the kids loved this book the oldest like the fact that Bea was a girl and a bit of tomboy like she is, both liked the beautiful illustrations there is a real bond between the animals and the people which was good to teach children that both man and beast can live together be great if this book could be made into a film

asuwere Mon 13-Nov-17 12:38:58

Thanks for this book!
DS (9) has loved it. He didn't realise about the interactive app part until he was nearly finished but is glad as he says he wouldn't want to read it and have his tablet at the same time so is happy now to go through and bring the pictures to life and play the game.
He thoroughly enjoyed the story and said that it was written so well that he was able to picture everything clearly in his head and felt that he was actually in the story. He is looking forward to the next one in the series!
It is a lovely looking book - nice to have hardbook but it's not too heavy and the illustrations are great. It has a grown up reading feel about it. It's a perfect book for that age group and I've added it to my present list for party gifts.

midi1975 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:22:40

Great story and lovely illustrations. An interesting adventure story which is, surprisingly, believable.Loved by C(9) who read it by herself and L. (7) who also read some of it by himself, but had some read to him.. Highly recommended , whether you are a dinosaur fan,or not.

Moodykat Fri 17-Nov-17 18:42:52

Thank you so much for the book. DS is very nearly 9 and reads way above his age group but he did find it hard going and gave up. I skim read parts and agree that the pictures are beautiful and it seemed to be really nicely written... almost old fashioned in the best possible way. My friend has a 9 nearly 10 year old daughter and I might pass on to her as I think she will really enjoy it.

Sorry to not be more help.

Vonklump Fri 17-Nov-17 21:18:11

My son is part way through this and is enjoying it. the app is a bonus, and we were very impressed with the images when we tried it out, but he mostly reads the book in bed, which is a screen free zone.

Even without the app at the time of reading the story is a hit.

Thankyou

lucyrobinson Sat 18-Nov-17 18:22:35

I am reading this to my 7 year old son. He is finding it quite hard going. We are going to finish it. Lovely pictures. I am trying to read a chapter a night. I am enjoying the story.

GranAnn42 Sat 18-Nov-17 20:21:57

received the book a few days ago. Going to give it to my grandson when I next sse him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now