Talk

Advanced search

What did you think of How Hard Can It Be? by Allison Pearson?

(63 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Sep-17 17:36:44

Kate Reddy is back in this hilarious follow-up to the international bestseller I Don’t Know How She Does It.

Kate Reddy is counting down the days until she is 50, but not in a good way. With hormones that have her in shackles, teenage children who need her there but won't actually talk to her and ailing parents who aren't coping, Kate is in the middle of a sandwich that she isn't even allowed to eat (calories).

How Hard Can It Be? is a coming-of-age story with a difference. It's about more than just a balancing act; it's about finding out who you are and what you need to feel alive. Every page will leave you feeling that there's a bit of Kate Reddy in all of us.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts on the book. Everyone who posts their detailed feedback by midday, Friday 1 December will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

Buy the book on Amazon for £9.99

This giveaway is sponsored by Harper Collins

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 24-Sep-17 21:50:39

Oh yes please. Loved I don't know how she does it. And would love to read an update. Fingers x

GetHappy Tue 26-Sep-17 20:04:55

How exciting!! Didn't know they were realising a second book!! Loved I don't now she does it so much!!

Fingers crossed!!

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 26-Sep-17 20:08:49

Oh I'd love to read this! I Don't Know How She Does It had a massive effect on me - there are scenes in there which are so vivid still.

drspouse Tue 26-Sep-17 20:12:14

Me please! Loved the first book, really looking forward to reading this one.

NorthernLurker Tue 26-Sep-17 20:13:42

I read the columns for thus second book in the telegraph, not sure it will be as good as the first but very keen to find out. Like Kate Reddy my kids are a lot more grown up now, one an adult.

NoSquirrels Tue 26-Sep-17 20:14:16

I loved I Don't Know How She Does It well before I was a mother, and even now think of the bashing up mince pies subtly scene for the school bake sale to make them look homemade.

BetterEatCheese Thu 28-Sep-17 09:22:55

I would love to read this! It looks fab

berni140 Thu 28-Sep-17 23:28:05

This sounds excellent!!!

Dianeayr Wed 18-Oct-17 16:35:29

Just had an email to let me know I've won a copy, thank you. Look forward to reading it and sharing my thoughts on the book.

GetHappy Wed 18-Oct-17 16:57:04

Same here .... looking forward to catching up with Kate Reddy

unfortunateevents Fri 27-Oct-17 12:07:20

Brilliant! Just logged into the account I use for MN (and nothing else) and found out I got a copy too. Was just on the point of buying it! Very much looking forward to its arrival!

NorthernLurker Sat 28-Oct-17 16:55:06

I had the email too but nothing arrived yet?

unfortunateevents Sat 28-Oct-17 18:30:20

The email which I think was dated 18 October said arrival within 10 days so it should be here soon.

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 02-Nov-17 11:36:26

I’ve had an email and v excited to read it but haven’t received it yet?

GetHappy Thu 02-Nov-17 12:23:34

I was just about to comment also that I haven’t received mine. Glad I’m not the only one

NeverTwerkNaked Thu 02-Nov-17 17:32:49

Got home to find mine waiting! Excited to start reading - where will we post feedback?

mom2010 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:00:15

Thanks for my copy. Will post the review soon.

Blahblahblueblee Fri 03-Nov-17 20:24:57

Mine arrived yesterday! I’m excited to start reading, thank you smile

2tfrutti Sat 04-Nov-17 09:15:46

Finished this already! In spite of the blurb I was expecting this to be mainly a comedy - in actual fact I found it to be much more than that. At times so painfully true, at others sad and heart-wrenching. I read this just after I finished Marian Keyes new book, The Break, which also has a central character around the same age, facing similar challenges. Both books were fantastic, I hope this is a sign of more fiction along these lines - I am now a little old for the twenty something PR executive type novel! Highly recommended.

FernieB Sat 04-Nov-17 17:39:37

Just finished this. I haven’t read ‘I don’t know how she does it’ and will go and do that now, having really enjoyed this book. It was witty, quick and at the same time poignant. Even though the story is told by Kate, the reader can see things Kate can’t and I found myself willing her to realise what was happening within her family and cheering her on from my sofa (admittedly with one of herbal teas she doesn’t like)! The book is full of characters we’ve probably all met IRL and so they all feel reassuringly familiar. A lovely, positive book for the ‘Sandwich Women’ so they don’t feel so alone.

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 05-Nov-17 21:49:36

Haven’t wanted to put this down. A really enjoyable book that really resonated with me. There were moments of great humour but also story lines that really made me think. I’m still in the “young children” phase of life and reading this made me realise how fast that time will slip from me.
I’m so pleased I read this book, I’m going to be recommending it to all my mum friends.

I like to come away from reading a book feeling a little bit wiser, and I really felt that with this book. I also enjoyed the various characters, they felt very believable and relatable. There were laugh out loud moments and moments when I wished I could high-five Kate.

GetHappy Mon 06-Nov-17 21:16:33

Mine hasn’t come yet....

NoSquirrels Mon 06-Nov-17 21:47:51

Mine's arrived - looking forward to it immensely!

NorthernLurker Wed 08-Nov-17 20:38:32

Mine still hasn't come, have just emailed hq

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: