Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of Winnie-the-Pooh: The Great Heffalump Hunt

(27 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Apr-17 17:24:54

Introducing the latest adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh, from bestselling picture book author Giles Andreae. Find out more about the book and the author.

When Winnie-the-Pooh sets out to catch a Heffalump he finds himself in a sticky situation. Luckily his loyal friend, Piglet, isn't far away…

The creator of Giraffes Can't Dance is back with a delightful new tale about Heffalumps, deep pits and large jars of honey, inspired by the classic stories of A A Milne.

We ask all winners to share their child's thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on The Great Heffalump Hunt will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

Buy the book from Amazon

This giveaway is sponsored by Egmont

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

FireflyGirl Wed 26-Apr-17 20:06:12

Received my copy out of the blue today, so we read it at bedtime.

The storyline is basically that Pooh decides he wants to go on a Heffalump hunt, Piglet's not too sure as Heffalump are apparently quite partial to piglets but Pooh persuades him so he agrees. There's a pit to be dug, and honey to be fetched, and you can probably guess which one poor Piglet gets lumped with, and what happens to the honey. There's a bit of a twist that I won't spoil, but it all ends happily ever after.

There's a lovely message about friendship, and the illustrations are beautiful.

DS is only just 2, and is mostly into diggers and trains which were sadly lacking from the story, but he really enjoyed talking about the animals in the different scenes.

In all, it's a very worthy addition to our library and will probably be one of my favourites to read.

Clawdy Wed 26-Apr-17 21:19:41

My copy arrived today, much to Dgs's delight. He is three and a half, and we read it straight away. It's a lovely book, with beautiful illustrations, and a flowing, rhyming story with a very sweet ending. If I have a criticism, it's that the non-appearance of the Heffalump is a bit of a let-down!

ptak5566 Thu 27-Apr-17 13:31:49

A lovely surprise receiving a copy in the post. Read it to Florence who is coming up to 3 years old. Flo loved the rhyming as can be read in a flowing way, absolutely enraptured by the pictures as she adores Winnie the Pooh. A lovely story of friendship & trust between Pooh & Piglet with an enchanting ending! Were just left wondering what a 'heffalump' looks like???

MrsRedWhite214 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:15:37

Loved this new Winnie the Pooh book. It has all the love and friendship from the old books but more of a dance and rhyme through the story as you find in many modern children's books. It has winnie the pooh's clumsiness, piglet's uncertainty, and their unwavering friendship. My kids loved it!

StickChildNumberTwo Fri 28-Apr-17 12:14:18

We received this the other day and read it at bedtime. My five year old said she liked it a little bit (clearly not overwhelmed!) and the best bit was that there were no heffalumps. The toddler likes it in the same way as he likes most books - fun to turn the pages and look at the pictures.

The story is very sweet and true to Winnie the Pooh. I can't decide whether I like the fact that it's in rhyme because it's a clear distinction from the original Pooh books, or don't like it because it seems wrong because it's different to the originals! Either way the pictures are lovely.

pbandbacon Fri 28-Apr-17 20:03:22

My nearly four year old and I loved this new story. A lovely story about friendship, with a soothing rythm to the rhyme. We've read it three nights running since receiving it, which is high praise indeed. Very few books get more than one reading with this little one.

sabretiggr Thu 04-May-17 10:21:38

Our copy of this lovely book arrived this week, and so I read it with my DD aged 5. The illustrations are beautiful, and we both loved the rhyming Pooh and Piglet story as they set off to catch a Heffalump. Having grown up with Winnie-the-Pooh stories as a child, I liked how the themes from the original stories have been brought to this new tale. My DD loved the new style of writing - the older books are a bit more difficult to follow when you are only small, but this was great for her to read along with me.

This is a really lovely book about friendship and overcoming fear for a dear friend. Anything, it seems, can be done when a true friend needs you.

GrannyB70 Fri 05-May-17 19:44:55

Read this book to my two year old grandson and had to read it again and again. He loved the story and the illustrations. This book would also appeal to older children with the theme of friendship and of course Winnie the Pooh is an eternal favourite.

Dsiso Tue 09-May-17 20:13:13

This book arrived last week - my son (just 6) thought it was amazing just to come through the post! He grabbed it, spent the last week paging through and telling his own story when he couldn't make out the words. Finally today I was able to read with him! What a lovely tender story. I like the links to the old Winnie-the-Pooh stories and the fact it was a 'rhyming book Mummy'. Thanks so much, great joy to be had here and delightful illustrations to match the poetic verse..

keriku Wed 10-May-17 23:07:40

If you were brought up on Piglet and Pooh,
This will be the ideal book for you.
A tale of greed, laughter and honey,
Proving friendship means more than money.
So take your bairns and snuggle them tight,
They'll want you to read this very night!

upwardsandonwards33 Sat 13-May-17 18:16:40

My 4 year old was enchanted by this book. It offered something new on the Winnie the Pooh books. She worked out that a Heffalump would be a big monster ! The end of the story is a surprise smile

Elliepurpleflower Fri 19-May-17 14:17:03

We weren't expecting a copy of this book so it was a lovely surprise when it came. Thank you!

This book is a story about poo wanting to go on a heffalump hunt, but piglet isn't too sure, but does agree. Too catch the Heffalump they create a plan, which involves piglet digging a pit and pooh fetching some honey to entice it in.
I won't say much more but it ends well!
My nearly 3 year old and 5 year old enjoyed the story and we have since read it a few times. It is the perfect length for a bed time story and to keep them engaged. The story is written beautifully in rhyme and has a nice rhythm to it when you read it. The pictures are lovely ( although I would have probably done the pictures slightly differently on the page with pooh in the pit). This is a book we will be reading lots again! Thank you for sending one to us!

madmumm Fri 26-May-17 19:14:45

A lovely surprise to find the book had arrived after school one day. It is a firm favourite with my 4 year old, Pooh bear and Piglet characters delighted my DS and reminded me of my childhood. Myself and my 8 year old though were quite disappointed about the lack of a heffalump and are still left wondering what one looks like!

Givemecoffeeplease Wed 31-May-17 19:31:57

Arrived late but what a cute book! Lovely story, true to the originals but with a charm all its own. My sons loved it ❤️

Faithless12 Thu 24-Aug-17 17:49:31

DS loved it, its one of his go to bed time books. Although I have caught him reading it himself when I've asked him to read for a bit. It really helps that we recently went to visit the place where 100 acre wood was set.
Surprisingly (to me) we haven't got any other Winnie the Pooh books, and this book has encouraged DS to look at them when we are in book shops.

Tigerlily13 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:01:56

My boys are 2, 4 and almost 6 and all lived this book. Beautiful illustrations and a lovely story about friendship.

Choaky Thu 24-Aug-17 18:09:49

My grandson loves books and thoroughly enjoyed this one, it will be passed on to his little cousins when he has finished with or outgrown it.

jane1956 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:24:10

am sure grandson will love the book it looks lovely but havn't actually given him yet was waiting untill Christmas or his next b'day sorry

red23 Thu 24-Aug-17 19:01:32

The Whole family love Pooh and this beautifully illustrated book did not disappoint . Both my 5 and 6 year old love it as well as me, been read over and over and still love it. ❤️

kateandme Thu 24-Aug-17 23:36:08

lovely flow fitting with all pooh books and also the friendship topic which pooh and friends do so beautifully.oved by all here

lottietiger Fri 25-Aug-17 10:16:09

What a gorgeous book. My sons favourite two characters, Piglet and Pooh going on a Heffalump hunt. Packed with beautiful illustrations this new book will definitely not disappoint Winnie the Pooh lovers. My son loved the story about hunting for the Heffalump and of course there is plenty of honey in it too! My 4 year old is just starting to read so familiar characters really help, I highly recommend this book for your own family or as a gift.

GrannyB70 Fri 25-Aug-17 17:26:41

This book ticked all the boxes with my two and a half year old. I had to read it six times consecutively when it arrived and it remains a bedtime favourite. Beautiful illustrations and a charming story.

pamish Sun 27-Aug-17 01:04:45

the children already know the stories from the original texts, but this was good to focus on one part and make it easier for the littlest one to 'read' on his own.

Good to see the drawings are closer to EHShepherd than Disney.

keriku Sun 27-Aug-17 21:26:41

What a beautifully illustrated book, with a lovely message about the value of friendship. The ideal way to introduce your wee one to some classic characters from your own childhood. Just lovely and a nice size to read together again and again and again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now