Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of children's book The Incredible Dadventure

(25 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Apr-17 16:03:52

Introducing the first book in the hilarious new 'Dadventure' series - find out more about The Incredible Dadventure.

Holly's dad is an explorer which isn't as exciting as it sounds. He's always leaving her to go off on adventures but this time, he's planned a special quest for Holly herself to complete. She's got 10 days to complete 10 tasks - will she rise to the challenge?

We ask all giveaway winners to share their child's thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on The Incredible Dadventure by Friday 22 September will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

Buy a copy from Amazon

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

Caillou Sun 28-May-17 07:59:20

I posted the review on the Amazon page as requested, do I need to let someone at mumsnet know under which name is my review posted? Thanks

Celama Mon 29-May-17 11:24:25

This promises to be a welcome new series of books for children with an engaging theme. My daughter enjoyed reading this saying it was exciting and it was a great idea and why couldn't her dad do that for her! I felt the upbeat style of writing appealed to children and that they could relate to it and I liked the familiar illustrations. I loved the idea about the birthday cards at the beginning too, thumbs up here for this book.

danson16 Mon 05-Jun-17 23:07:37

Thank you for letting us review this book. We thoroughly enjoyed reading it and my son found it fun and wanted to know what was going to happen. The illustrations are fun and the kids enjoyed looking at them. This is a great book and we would love to read more of this series.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 08-Jun-17 20:27:29

This is a great book. A really fun story. DD1 thought it was fun and was interested to keep reading. I liked the writing style. DD and I read it together. She would start reading and I would continue the story a bit longer. It was easy enough for her to read without being too basic. Definitely a book we'd recommend.

Imfinehowareyou Sat 10-Jun-17 19:32:19

Oh My Goodness - my DD aged 7 could not put this book down. We went on holiday and it didn't leave her side. This is the first chapter book she has read exclusively by herself and she was gripped. She could explain the plot to us in detail when asked and was thrilled to see that there were more books in this series. Thanks Mumsnet grin

agnapoop Tue 13-Jun-17 09:02:06

My daughter and I are halfway through this book. We love sitting down together, sharing the story, reading a page each. It is such a fun, interesting book and very well written. My daughter is 7 and I would say it had her interest from page 1. I found myself also enjoying reading it and look forward to our time together reading. Would definitely recommend this, you won't be dissapointed.

lexy444 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:39:24

My 8 yr old son and I read the first two chapters together and then he finished the book by himself as he "couldn't wait" for the next nightly instalment. He loved the book and said it was great. I wasn't aware it was a series and will now look to buy the rest of the series for him. A few days after finishing the story, I noticed he was re-enacting the story himself, creating little letters which were challenges for his younger brother so the book had inspired him to create this game. I though the book was well written and engaging and had a good pace which kept him enthralled from the beginning. Thank you for providing a copy for us to review.

user1484206323 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:39:46

This book was really fun. My son 7 enjoyed reading it, he also liked the pictures and I liked the theme of the story.

ozgirl74 Thu 24-Aug-17 10:50:11

My daughter really liked the book it was really easy to read. She loved that holly needed to complete different challenges and was desperate to know what happened next.

Susangilley7 Fri 25-Aug-17 15:21:45

My 7 year old granddaughter loved this book so much, she is now reading it for the 5th time! She said it was interesting and kept her amused. Thank you Mumsnet for this opportunity.

GrannyB70 Sat 26-Aug-17 13:45:36

This book is fantastic in the way it manages to engage with young readers. My 10 year old was engrossed in it and loved the ten challenges on the map which the heroine had to solve. Loved the magician part also as her grandfather was a professional magician. Great read and thoroughly recommended

Thanks for the book. My DD (aged 8) said it was good at first but then she lost interest and gave up half way through - sorry! I expect she will pick it up again at some point, she often does this with books (judging by the piles in her room with bookmarks part way through!)

1969angep Mon 28-Aug-17 11:17:27

My 6 year old son and I read this together and we both really enjoyed it. Holly is am slightly introverted girl who's just turned 10 and her Dad sets her a challenge to solve 10 clues in 10 days. Some are simple, like a hug for Mum whilst others are a bit more challenging. We loved the way that her Dad's challenges forced Holly to do things she otherwise wouldn't (though I'm hoping that Lucas doesn't get any ideas about climbing big trees!) and forced her to come out of herself. Lucas loved all of the illustrations and thought Oates the dog was really funny. We enjoyed trying to figure out what some of the clues meant ourselves too! There were lots of good life lessons in there too - never making assumptions about people, kindness brings rewards etc etc - but presented in a fun way so it never felt "preachy".
The writing style was fun and simple and whilst Holly's Dad seems glamorous (being a travel writer who trots around the globe) the parent characters were actually very relatable (gung ho Dad and over protective Mum). I loved that the Mum was equally interesting though, Holly learns she was an archaeologist as part of her task, and that Mum and Dad were planning a role swap in a couple of years. Definitely one that kids and parents could both enjoy together and we'll certainly look out for the next books in the series

weathermum Mon 28-Aug-17 13:42:56

I was SO very impressed with this helpful and amusing book...
So much so that we are planning to do something very similar for Jamie who is 6 and 3/4. I have been telling everyone about the excellent idea of setting these adventure/goals, it would certainly give a quiet child extra confidence with the little (big for them) problems in life or prepare them with a model on how to deal with growing up.
My hats off to the author, he certainly knows and loves this subject well and puts it over in a humorous and practical way.
A truly splendid book ..so many thanks for the free copy

Baldwin1973 Sun 03-Sep-17 22:00:40

My daughter is a reluctant reader and generally won't read for pleasure at all. However she genuinely enjoyed reading this book. She liked the story plus the illustrations. It was a good length for her- not too long and kept her attention during a few long car journeys this summer. Thanks for the free copy.

5BlueHydrangea Sun 03-Sep-17 22:03:49

My dd (7) really enjoyed the book. Found it quite amusing and has recommended it to some of her friends. Will look out for more by the same author. Thanks.

CordeliaScott Mon 04-Sep-17 13:38:18

My niece really enjoyed this book and it has inspired us to try to create a similar treasure hunt for my DD's upcoming birthday.

Holidayenthusiast Tue 05-Sep-17 14:36:48

This is the story of a shy, 10 year old girl called Holly. Her absent Dad sets her 10 challenges to be completed in 10 days.
This is a funny book with lots of morals or life lessons written in. Holly is challenged to solve clues and complete tasks, some of which are outside her comfort zone. Children will enjoy going on this 10 day journey with Holly. The characters are well written and the illustrations are great and really add to the enjoyment of the book. This is recommended - lots of things to discuss and puzzle over as you work your way through!

shelaghh Tue 05-Sep-17 18:48:11

With 10 days and ten tasks can Holly complete her own Dadventure ??

SHE CAN, OH WHAT FUN !!

babyowl Wed 06-Sep-17 14:57:59

Ignore the tacky title, dd & I both thought that being set challenges in a treasure hunt style is a great idea for a birthday. We'll definitely be on the look out for other titles in the series.

What I really liked was that the challenges lead the main character Holly to learn more about people around her (e.g. her mum's life before having kids & a neighbour) as well as building her self-confidence through doing things outside her comfort zone.

The characters at Holly's school could have had a bit more depth & there could have been more details about Holly's time at school, but otherwise the story made fantastic reading.

We made our own set of challenges during the summer in the lead up to dd's birthday & it's provided us with so much fun & that we've extended the challenges (e.g "x" number of "x" challenges to complete for birthday no. "x").

pennwood Sat 09-Sep-17 11:38:23

The Incredible Dadventure by Dave Lowe is a lovely book with lots of illustrations, & a very bright book cover. The font is a good size for easy reading, nicely interspersed with the illustrations. Holly is a character most school children can relate to, & it is a fun story which has been enjoyed. It is suitable reading for boys & girls. The treasure hunt will no doubt inspire a lot of young readers to try their own. As we do a lot of home made cards in our family it was great to have this element in the story too. We would recommend this book & look forward to reading The Mumbelievable Challenge next.

cathisherwood Mon 11-Sep-17 16:31:07

A nice little story to read together which can provoke lots of conversation about fears and challenges. What a model Dad setting all those clues before he went off on his adventure!

angelz Sat 16-Sep-17 07:09:49

A fab book. My Dd6 was happy to read it, and encouraged by the title decided (demanded) her Dad should read some with her too.

boxford Mon 18-Sep-17 16:53:34

My son thought this book was great and rated it as one of the best books he had read this year (even above the latest David Walliams book, shock horror!)
I too can testify to how much he enjoyed it, as on several occasions I heard him literally laughing out loud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now