Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of Domina by L S Hilton

(51 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Apr-17 17:32:57

Are you ready for the shocking new thriller from the bestselling author of Maestra? Find out more about Domina, and the mind behind this darkly decadent series, L S Hilton.

Judith Rashleigh has made it. Living a life of luxury amidst the splendor of Venice, she's finally enjoying the life she always wanted. Then her past catches up with her. Facing blackmail, Judith faces a ticking clock - and if she doesn't win, she's dead.

Maestra introduced us to Judith - an exciting new heroine, as wickedly observant as Amy Dunne and as dangerous as Lisbeth Salander - and Domina is set to enthrall us with her escapades once more.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on Domina by midday Monday 21 August will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

Buy a paperback copy of Domina on Amazon

Buy a copy of Maestra (Book 1) on Amazon

This giveaway is sponsored by Bonnier Zaffre

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

GrannyB70 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:47:52

I love a good thriller, one that makes me want to keep turning the page. Domino makes me want to read this novel as soon as possible

tripfiction Thu 06-Apr-17 21:46:24

Ok guys, here is my review of Domina (plus, the author is chatting Venice with me)... so here goes: www.tripfiction.com/thriller-set-across-venice-and-europe/

Pimmmms Mon 10-Apr-17 19:30:38

Ooh, yes please! I would love a good page turner!!

Gazelda Mon 10-Apr-17 20:23:11

I'd have loved to enter the giveaway, I'm determined to read more books. However I couldn't get the link to work.

Gazelda Mon 10-Apr-17 20:25:06

Ah, got it! 😐

Polkadot1974 Mon 10-Apr-17 21:00:01

Me me me!

ChoccyJules Mon 10-Apr-17 22:35:42

Ooh, this sounds good. Also the author is like me, likes a tidy workspace (am less keen on the hoovering though) wink

Shoom72 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:53:16

I was meant to receive the book and didn't, so very disappointed

Charell20 Mon 17-Jul-17 14:20:03

I have not yet received my book so haven't had chance to read it. Anyone else in the same boat?

Shoom72 Mon 17-Jul-17 15:06:45

Yes I didn't receive it either!!

mumofmadboys Mon 17-Jul-17 15:16:19

I got an e mail asking for my review but I never received it either

Charell20 Mon 17-Jul-17 16:23:41

I have emailed Mumsnet and if you do so they will send a form for you to fill out. Seems there was a problem with the publisher. They are going to recontact and see if the feedback deadline can be extended

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 18-Jul-17 12:17:53

Thanks Charell20 - we have indeed sent an email to everyone in this boat and are chasing with the publisher now! Apologies for this delay flowers

herecomesthsun Sat 22-Jul-17 19:15:46

Coincidentally, I picked up a second hand copy of Maestra, the earlier book, and really enjoyed it, several weeks ago.

I thought the lead character was interestingly different, if not very sympathetic. Lots of issues raised around what it is to be an intelligent woman and what it means to be in control of your sexuality- to what extent is she?

I did a search on Mumsnet to see what everyone else thought, found out the Domina was due to be released and applied for a copy.

I am one of the people whose copy hasn't arrived yet, but on the plus side if it does come it will be well timed for the summer holidays.

Shoom72 Sat 29-Jul-17 10:13:11

Hi, are we still receiving the book? Fingers crossed we do as this is on my list of books to read!!!

tworonnies1957 Mon 31-Jul-17 12:04:32

Just a quick note to say i received two copy's for some reason of this book in the post this morning both had the post mark dated 27/07/2017 so if others still waiting for there's it looks like they on there way ,mumsnet do you want one of the copy's back or can I pass it one to someone

Shoom72 Mon 31-Jul-17 12:47:00

My book also arrived today but very upset as the book has arrived in very bad condition with big dents to the bottom of the spine of the book!!! Will still be readable!!!

mumofmadboys Tue 01-Aug-17 18:09:29

My copy arrived yesterday. Thank you very much. Looking forward to reading it.

herecomesthsun Sat 05-Aug-17 18:10:18

Have just got my copy of this. Thanks very much, I was delighted to have a review copy.

It felt like a lot harder work than Maestra. The heroine's reinvention of herself didn't seem all that convincing, she seems to be struggling to be interested in or convinced by "Elisabeth" and it did seem odd that she didn't change her gallery's name when she was trying to cut off all links with her previous self "Judith".

The Russian oligarchs made stodgy reading and they did not seem attractive or realistic villains. I am not sure what the interior life of a Russian oligarch might be like, but these ones seemed pretty 2 dimensional.

Both this book and Maestra are complex in both their interest and the element of disappointment for me as a reader. It is great to have a heroine who is intelligent and who has clearly fought her way to a professional and intellectual position from a difficult background and there are points in both books when there is a glimpse of the earlier pain she has suffered. I would have liked a more rounded and substantial character.

There is also a pacy, if complicated narrative which is difficult to follow, and it doesn't give away too much of the plot to mention that there is an awful lot of bloodshed. I would have preferred a more thoughtful and sympathetic rendition of the central character and less casual butchery. There is some difficulty with this in a sequel also. It is hard to imagine a sequel to a Jacobean tragedy, with some central character from the carnage coolly walking away and resuming their life in quiet artistic domesticity for a while before it all starts again.

There are also some beautiful descriptions of Venice before the bloodletting starts in earnest.

I wonder where the 3rd novel will take us, but I don't know whether I will be reading it to find out.

Very happy to discuss further with anyone else who finishes it!

mata777 Tue 08-Aug-17 08:32:46

Glad the book finally arrived last week! I haven't read Maestra (yet) so I can't compare them but I found Domina quite exciting to read. The main character is likeable and horrible at the same time and there are glimpses into her past to show what shaped her this way. I agree with previous poster that the Russian oligarchs weren't thought trough on deeper level. Policeman Da Silva appears at the end of the book and I am interested to find out where he takes the story in the third part.

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-Aug-17 10:04:15

Hi @tworonnies1957 - that's fine, thanks for letting us know but no need to send it back. You're welcome to pass it on.

@Shoom72 sorry to hear your copy was in bad condition - I'm afraid it might just have been a post issue. Perhaps tworonnies1957 could send you her spare one?!

Hopefully everyone else has received theirs by now flowers

Lindsaym1983 Wed 09-Aug-17 15:38:04

Have just read my copy, at first I thought I would not like it but within a couple of pages I was hooked! Some of it seemed a little far fetched at times but it was gripping not knowing what was going to happen next. Despite the main character being a bit brutal I still warmed to her. I would have liked to have learnt more about her and what happened to her victims but I guess that will be covered in the next book. The book ended on a big cliffhanger

katiebasey Wed 09-Aug-17 16:06:16

The book arrived, I loved the cover had me intrigued. Took a few pages to get into it, then I couldn't put the book down. Left on a real Cliffhanger, can't wait for the next one. a throughly good read.

BearAusten Wed 09-Aug-17 19:23:05

Thank you for my copy. I am not too sure about this one. A bit hit and miss. First and foremost, I am not a fan of cliffhangers. I found this a bit irritating.

On a more positive note, Domina is full of action and consequently, fast paced and keeps you turning the pages. I found the bit about 'art' quite interesting, especially about Caravaggio and 'Painting is cheating'.

However, the style of writing and most of the characters are somewhat over the top. (Even the name 'Da Silva'...) You really do have to suspend belief for a large proportion of the book. Overall, I think it is a 'good' book to take on holiday, for the summer, but not to be taken seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now