Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of psychological thriller The Escape by C L Taylor

(14 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Mar-17 17:41:13

Do you love a good psychological thriller? We gave away copies of C L Taylor's latest novel. Find out more about The Escape and the local news story which inspired it.

When Jo Blackmore accepts a stranger's request for a lift, she soon regrets her decision. Somehow, this person seems to know an awful lot about her - from her husband's name to owning a glove belonging to Jo's two-year-old daughter. What begins with a subtle threat quickly turns into a parent's worst nightmare. Jo knows there's only one way to keep her child safe, and that's to RUN.

Mumsnetters on The Missing by C L Taylor:

"Once I started to read I didn't want to put the book down, which is testament to the author's ability to get inside your head." - daisybeebee

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on The Escape by midday Monday 15 May will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

This giveaway is sponsored by Avon

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

whatwoulddexterdo Tue 28-Mar-17 10:05:01

Hoping to win this one as her last three books have been very good

crimeworm Tue 28-Mar-17 10:40:25

Gutted I've missed out on the chance to enter this!

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Apr-17 10:07:33

crimeworm - this giveaway is actually still open so you can apply for a free copy up until the end of the day smile

ScarlettDarling Wed 12-Apr-17 09:15:11

Well, it was the most lovely surprise to arrive home and find this book on my doormat!I'd just finished the book I was reading, the dc were both at school, so I made myself a coffee and sat down for a ten minute quiet read....one hour later I forced myself to put the book down and go and collect my dd from school!

This book is an absolute page turner! It grabs you from the first page when weird Paula follows Jo and then threatens her in the car, to the very end when everything gets wrapped up nicely.

The characters were well written and believable. The story was fast paced and exciting. I'd definitely read more from C L Taylor. This book would be great holiday reading, perfect to read by the pool. A definite thumbs up from me.

Many thanks for the opportunity to review the book.

ChessieFL Mon 17-Apr-17 14:12:51

Many thanks to Mumsnet and the publisher for giving me this free book! I have read C L Taylor's three previous books and enjoyed them, and had this newest one on my wishlist so I was very pleased to receive a free copy.
I read it in just over 24 hours - it kept me gripped and I was keen to get to the end to find out what was going on. I did predict part of the ending though, and I struggled to understand why one character behaved in the way that he/she did.
Overall though I enjoyed it, and will definitely look out for more of hers.

crimeworm Mon 17-Apr-17 17:09:39

Thanks for letting me know - unfortunately I didn't read your message in time. But many thanks anyway!

portfoliomum Mon 17-Apr-17 19:44:23

This book landed just on tme for an Easter getaway I was going on to the English seaside. The sun did appear a few times so managed to start reading it on a Bournemouth beach! The first chapter was really gripping but for me it slowed down for a few chapters. At home it would have taken me a while to get back to it but on holiday I persevered & im glad I did. Probably halfway through I was gripped again. I don't want to give too much away - but I'd definitely recommend it. It's great to have a main character that is dealing with mental health problems & I loved the way it built in two stories that collide.

Reastie Mon 17-Apr-17 20:58:30

Very excited to get this book as read another by the same author which I found very grippy. Finished this one in a few days and found it very fast paced and an easy read. Straight from the first chapter the story was right in at the deep end and lots of twists and turns along the way with unexpected jolts. Would recommend this for a beach book or when you may have to dip in and out of a book as the chapters are really short so you can go in and out of it easily. Everything came together perfectly at the end of the story and it was a satisfying ending. I'm not sure I found it as much of a page turner as the other book of hers I've read (the lie) but would recommend it to anyone who enjoys thriller books. Thank you mumsnet.

jammy388 Tue 18-Apr-17 16:29:48

The first part of the book I found unpleasant. Jo, the mother, was described by another character as easy to manipulate, and it felt like that was what the author was doing, heaping awful scenarios on her to the point where it became quite unbelievable.
The second part was better when Jo seemed less of a victim. I sussed one element of the plot a couple of hundred pages before it was revealed, but that didn’t particularly spoil anything for me, and the ending was satisfying.

nerysw Sat 22-Apr-17 09:14:06

I really enjoyed this and found it a proper page turner. I read it in two days and had it in my hand when I was cooking dinner, read instead of watching tv and generally found it compulsive reading. If you enjoyed The Replacement on telly, you'll enjoy this type of psychological thriller.

ahigney Mon 24-Apr-17 09:56:56

A classic psychological thriller where the woman is set up to loose her mind and go mad by a bad man.Enjoyable and pacy in the first half,addictive and gripping.Second half too predictable and full of repetition and unbelievable meetings that do not really add anything to the main plot,except cringeworthy happy endings. Not much of a twist,and yes the character of Jo was annoying and needed help from the start,obviously not from the husband,but without any support you felt she was being set.Enjoyable if somehow disappointing in the second half.

debbiew21 Wed 26-Apr-17 10:46:45

Well, there's no slow and steady build up with this one, the actions starts from the very first page and the usual "getting to know the characters" bit happens as we go along. Or "race along" would be more accurate. "The Escape" is a fast paced thriller which kept me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning. It is very hard to put down and I quickly found myself living and breathing the world of Jo, the main character, as her whole life turns upside down and she fights for her daughter and also for her sanity.
I found the characters well rounded and believable and it was obvious that extensive research had gone into making it authentic.The story line was suitably gripping- I even admit to having to peep ahead on more than one occasion when it all got a bit too much for me! As with all good novels, the end came too quickly and I definitely wanted more. I think a sequel could be possible and I'd definitely be first in the queue to read it. I highly recommend The Escape. I hadn't read anything by C L Taylor before but will be seeking out her other novels for definite now.

BeautySwot Thu 27-Apr-17 12:45:02

Really enjoyed this fast paced thriller. I didn't see the twist to be honest but I did see how easy it is to end up in trouble with things happening outside of your control. Good ending too. Have already recommended it to others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now