Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of Rattle by Fiona Cummins

(57 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 21-Feb-17 17:50:08

We gave away 50 copies of Rattle, a spine-chilling thriller by Fiona Cummins, and the next installment in our Crime and Thriller Book Club.

This serial killer lives two lives. In one, he's just like anyone else, but in the other, he's the caretaker of his family's macabre museum. Now the time has come to add to his collection.

Rattle is a glimpse into the mind of a sinister psychopath to rival even Hannibal Lecter. Only those with nerves of steel and a night light should take on this terrifying cat-and-mouse game between a sinister collector and a troubled detective.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on Rattle by midday Monday 10 April will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

Obsessed with crime and thrillers? Get involved and find out what other books you could win in Mumsnet and Thin Blue Spine's Crime and Thriller Book Club.

This giveaway is sponsored by Thin Blue Spine crime writing blog

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

whatwoulddexterdo Sun 26-Feb-17 20:36:06

This looks good if a little scary. Have applied. Fingers x

TracyKNixon Mon 06-Mar-17 06:23:50

Being a mum at times some of the reading had me thinking "omg no no!". Cleverly written about the mind and the horrible world of a killer, drove me to keeping the lights on one night as some of it pretty gruesome in bits.
No spoilers but if you like creepy books that leave you feeling like you have read a book that makes you squirm with the main characters (killers) mind and actions, then this is a book for you. The ending tied of nicely I thought but would like to see another read by this author. Yes for when wanting a creepy psycho read which I did this one filled that gap.

janeyf1 Mon 06-Mar-17 07:15:14

My kind of thriller - chilling, gripping and unpredictable. One you can't put down

glenka Mon 06-Mar-17 07:36:10

I don't normally read this type of book but it does sound interesting so I might give it a try.

warjonson Mon 06-Mar-17 07:43:28

Looks cool, would definitely like to try

hdh747 Mon 06-Mar-17 08:05:11

It's very creepy and unsettling. The strange, Stone man syndrome' is really fascinating. It's very frightening, anyone with a family would be really quite scared I think, certainly the idea of child abduction has to be my worst nightmare. In some ways it's quite subtle, but none the less disturbing for that.

vonniebab2 Mon 06-Mar-17 08:36:59

A really good read, a very well written thriller could not put this book down!

cazzzie987 Mon 06-Mar-17 10:21:57

This was right up my street!

123hartley123 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:03:42

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD READ

iut044 Mon 06-Mar-17 12:33:43

A good read that held my attention throughout.

jandoc Mon 06-Mar-17 17:04:32

it looks like a good read but I haven't read it yet

freefan Mon 06-Mar-17 18:39:28

Sounds like an enthralling read

sbruin1122 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:22:16

Sounds fantastic. I will look for a copy this weekend. Having read the blurb and a few reviews it looks like this is going to be quite a gripping and gory book! I hope the story isn't too much!

Marg2k8 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:42:17

I haven't read it yet. I tend to read mostly at bedtime and I don't think it would be good for bedtime reading.

phillie1 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:57:55

well written book, kept my attention til the end

Cailin7 Tue 07-Mar-17 18:35:23

I read Rattle in February after hearing good things about the book. I thought it would be really gripping and creepy however for me it was an average slow paced thriller. Cummins did do a nice job on her characters especially for a first novel.

mumpetuk1 Tue 07-Mar-17 20:21:26

Loved it...gripping!

sweir1 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:44:18

I haven't read it yet. But I will be starting soon.

stewaris Sun 12-Mar-17 19:58:52

I'll be honest and say I really didn't like this book. I only managed to get about a third of the way through and I just couldn't red any more. It was really creepy and scary, not the sort of thing I'd normally read but I didn't realise how unsettling I would find it. I really didn't like the child abduction part and my partner put his foot done after the three nightmares over three nights in a row! I know I'm just a big scaredy cat at the bottom of it all!

grannybiker Mon 13-Mar-17 07:11:37

OMG! Seriously creepy. Keep having to put it down and certainly not one for bedtime reading. May have to put this aside for sunlounger time in a few weeks

sophiefx Tue 14-Mar-17 19:01:18

Loved this book! Was definitely a page turner. Very chilling and sinister, the whole concept was five stars. It'd a story I would reread over and over as there's a lot of twists and turns which I throughfully enjoyed.The story was brilliantly told and the characters, although psychopathic, were very likeable and made you want to read more to find out what's next.

cookie09 Mon 20-Mar-17 19:48:21

This book deserves a rave review. Out of hundreds and hundreds of books read in the last two years sometimes a few come along that just really stick with you. These are the ones that you know you will remember in great detail and have impacted you on a deep level as a reader. Rattle is one such book.

angiehoggett Wed 22-Mar-17 10:28:23

very gripping, but probably not one for an evening read, it keeps your mind going!

whatwoulddexterdo Thu 23-Mar-17 13:02:29

Thank you so much for my copy which arrived today. I will be back to post my review asap.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now