Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of children's book Giant by Kate Scott

(62 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Feb-17 16:28:19

Introducing Giant - a feel-good children's book about growing up and being yourself. We gave away 50 copies of the book to find out what Mumsnetters thought.

It's hard to measure up in a family with high expectations. But it's even harder when those people sometimes use you as an arm rest.

Anzo is 11 years old and very, very short. His family are all extremely tall but they're also high achievers, obsessed with fulfilling their lifelong ambition of opening a restaurant together. Everyone seems to have a role – chef, DIY, marketing, accounts – but Anzo's not sure where he fits in. Then, one night he starts to grow - but is life as a giant going to solve all his problems?

We ask all Giant book giveaway winners to share their child's thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback by midday, Wednesday 5 April will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

jandoc Wed 22-Feb-17 12:58:48

my child hasn't read this one just yet

janeyf1 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:01:25

My dc enjoyed it and asked me to read it again.

TracyKNixon Wed 22-Feb-17 13:08:34

My daughter loved 'Giant' as she felt she could relate to him, being the quieter child in a family of big personalities. First he's ridiculously small then he's ridiculously tall yet they still don't notice him! But with the help of his best friend Elise, Anzo gets up the courage to follow his dream to become a creator of comic books, finally finding his place in the world. It's a lovely story about loneliness, creativity, courage and friendship. Funny, gentle and a little bit nail-biting and my daughter loved it!

mooota1514 Wed 22-Feb-17 14:51:58

it hasn't been read yet so we don't have an opinion of it

ICanSeeYourPixelss Wed 22-Feb-17 15:17:17

My DC loved 'Giant', they think It's a lovely story about courage and friendship and they've asked me to read it again smile

beckyinman Wed 22-Feb-17 17:52:19

This is really sweet and endearing without forcing messages down the reader's throat. It really reminded me of my mum being the quiet one in amongst her 4 sisters

warjonson Wed 22-Feb-17 18:10:42

Sweet book, my kid loves it

stewaris Wed 22-Feb-17 19:40:36

My daughter read this and said it reminded her of her middle brother who is so quiet and laid back he's almost horizontal. She loved the way Anzo pulled his life together, followed his dreams and made a success of what he wanted to do with the hep f his friend Elise. I felt it had a good message to it in that no matter who you are or what your personality you can still succeed if you try hard enough.

RACHELSMITH45 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:54:50

Really sweet story and my daughter loved it.

sbruin1122 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:15:03

We haven't read this one yet! My son loves the cover and the storyline so we will have to pick up a copy!

phillie1 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:09:32

good moral lesson in this book, which as a parent I love. Kids enjoyed it too, which helps!

iut044 Thu 23-Feb-17 12:45:26

My son really loves it .

sweir1 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:47:40

My boys love this

cookie09 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:59:30

You have to read 'Giant'! I fell in love with the main character, Anzo, struggling to make himself seen or heard in a family of big personalities. First he's ridiculously small then he's ridiculously tall yet they still don't notice him! But with the help of his best friend Elise, Anzo gets up the courage to follow his dream to become a creator of comic books, finally finding his place in the world. It's a lovely story about loneliness, creativity, courage and friendship. Funny, gentle and a little bit nail-biting. I loved it!

katb1973 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:05:13

My son loved this book and it engaged us in interesting conversations about what makes you feel happy/accepted. The main character Antony is a footnote in his family and at school. He attributes this to being small. However, even when he grows the situation doesn't change until he starts to accept that pursuing his own dreams and succeeding is the key. A thought provoking read for the 8-12 age group.

katb1973 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:06:06

My auto correct jumped in there- the main character is called Anzo....

Cailin7 Sun 26-Feb-17 13:45:39

This is a funny, poignant book and a really great read. The message is good as Anzo begins to understand that it's what's inside of you that makes all the difference.

Susangilley7 Mon 27-Feb-17 09:12:56

Thanks Mumsnet for my copy. What a lovely book so sensitively written and not patronising. Accept who you are and rejoice is the message. Well done Kate Scott.

Hopezibah Mon 27-Feb-17 12:10:18

Very excited to receive a copy of this - my two sons (aged 10 nearly 11 and the other is 12) would both enjoy it. I have just had a quick read through parts of it myself before I give it to them to read and I think it is SO relevant for this kind of age group with so much going on in terms of peer pressure and insecurities that kids feel - especially if they are 'different' in any way - one of my sons has aspergers and so often stands out as being different. the other is extremely popular with many friends and very confident outwardly but struggles with self-esteem at home. So the more the message goes out that EVERYONE is unique and that is OK and more than ok it is good, the better. Kate Scott has done a great job with this book.

jacqui5366 Mon 27-Feb-17 14:17:15

My youngest son is one of the smallest in his class, and is often teased, so I bought the book, after reading the plot, I read it first to see if it was suitable, which i felt it was. It was funny, inspirational, my son payed a lot of attention, and really made him grow in confidence, and to begin to accept himself it gives a good moral lesson in accepting yourself and keep you ambitions (it even helped me too - being 5 foot 2 )

poppy990 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:53:07

My 7 yo is really enjoying this so far. He says it's funny and he likes the characters

boptanana Thu 02-Mar-17 22:00:47

I really enjoyed sharing this book with my 8 year old daughter. The message was clear but not patronising and the humour of the book was lovely. The characters were believable and the message about the important roles of both family and friends was a very relevant one for her age range.

AuntieH123 Sat 04-Mar-17 21:27:45

would love a copy please

Doobydoo Sat 04-Mar-17 21:29:16

We have just received this and look forward to starting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now