Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of children's book The Painted Dragon by Katherine Woodfine

(75 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Feb-17 17:44:33

Introducing The Painted Dragon - a fast-paced historical adventure for readers aged 9+.

When a priceless painting is stolen, dauntless young detectives Sophie and Lil find themselves faced with forgery, trickery and deceit on all sides.

Be amazed as the brave duo pit their wits against this perilous puzzle and marvel at their cunning plan to unmask the villain. It's their most perilous adventure yet!

The Painted Dragon is the third installment in The Sinclair's Mysteries quartet. The other two books are the bestselling The Clockwork Sparrow, and The Jewelled Moth. The final book will be published this autumn.

We ask all winners to share their child's thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free book to take part in the discussion - you're welcome to grab a copy of The Painted Dragon and answer the questions below.

We've added some questions about the book to lead the discussion. You can, of course, add any other thoughts on the book.

Everyone who gives detailed feedback on the book by end of day, Monday 27 March will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher:

-What did your child think of the characters?
-What did your child think of the historical setting?
-Would your child read other books by this author - e.g. the rest of The Sinclair's Mysteries?

This giveaway is sponsored by Egmont

Book giveaways T&Cs apply

iut044 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:59:01

They enjoyed characters and setting a lot . They found it enjoyable read and would consider buying other books by the author .

tamalyn1 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:28:07

my niece sarah just loved it, she says that herself and her bestie laura are the main characters Sophie and Lil lol not sure they completely understood the whole edwardian era but definately want to read more from the same author, kind of reminds myself as me as a child reading the famous five series.

julieef Sat 11-Feb-17 14:38:33

my GD loves all the harry potter books, but her fav are the David Walliams books, she cannot wait until the next one is released after she has read the previous ones

RACHELSMITH45 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:14:13

Enjoyed getting to know the characters and the setting. Yes definitely would read other books by this author . Enjoyed a lot.

Sid98 Sat 11-Feb-17 23:03:50

A fun and interesting read

davidgholland3 Sun 12-Feb-17 04:31:31

My son enjoyed me reading it to him (he is a bit young for it)

Ikea1234 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:31:07

My son read this and then passed it on to his cousin (a girl). They both enjoyed it although his cousin said she could relate to the characters - said they reminded her of herself and best friend. They both liked the historical setting, though I'm not convinced they completely understood the context,but they definitely learnt more about the era. Both. Have said they are up for the next offering from this author, and wondered if there might even be another in the series....they've already read the previous two books in the series since reading this!

sbruin1122 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:43:34

we're looking forward to reading this one!

GreenGinger2 Mon 13-Feb-17 13:28:22

My dd12 loved both of the other two in this series.

GooseyLoosey Mon 13-Feb-17 13:39:23

Dd (12) has read the Clockwork Sparrow and is just starting on the Jewelled Moth. She has ADD and can sometime struggle with concentration but the Clockwork Sparrow held her attention right to the end.

She says she liked the characters a lot and there was enough information about them to let you really get to know them.

jandoc Mon 13-Feb-17 13:49:39

it hasn't been read yet so we don't have an opinion of it

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Mon 13-Feb-17 20:28:11

I've read the other Sinclair's Mysteries and really enjoyed them. My children are grown up but I'll happily pass it onto a child at work if I can read it first!

stewaris Mon 13-Feb-17 20:48:59

My son, 12, loved this and passed it o his cousin(s). They were really intrigued by the setting and thought it was a really good read. All three sad they hoped there was a sequel and would definitely look out fr it.

Cailin7 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:28:25

A fun and interesting read

ICanSeeYourPixelss Thu 16-Feb-17 14:02:36

A fun and interesting read. They enjoyed the characters and setting a lot. They found it to be an enjoyable read and we'd definitely consider buying other books by this author smile

phillie1 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:39:42

my daughter enjoyed this book

grannybiker Sun 19-Feb-17 13:01:05

Peter was intrigued by the historical setting as they'd been studying it at school. he was able to identify lots of ways Katherine Woodfine used clues as we read it.

vonniebab2 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:18:03

A wonderful read intriguing mysteries adventure and beautiful Illustrations, clever historical details, I would definitely recommend this enjoyable book!

jandoc Wed 22-Feb-17 12:59:13

my child hasn't read this one yet

janeyf1 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:03:38

My DC enjoyed the historic setting and the characters felt like friends. She would definitely read other books by the same author so I'll look out for them

TracyKNixon Wed 22-Feb-17 13:12:06

This book is fab. My 12 year old loves this series as it's the right style for her. Strong female characters solving mysteries. If you know soneone who enjoys reading Ruby Redfort and A Murder Most Unladylike this is the book for them!

mooota1514 Wed 22-Feb-17 14:51:09

it hasn't been read yet so we don't have an opinion of it

beckyinman Wed 22-Feb-17 17:56:04

This wasn't an era they knew too much about, but were really fascinated by it. I think it has developed two new feminists and history fans (as well as wannabe crime fighters!) Would definitely read more by the author

stewaris Wed 22-Feb-17 19:36:21

My daughter loved this book and said she could imagine her BFF and her doing all the sleuthing. She loved the historical setting especially as the characters couldn't just pick up a phone and call to check something out or get help. She has said she would like the other books in the series and I don't have to wait for her birthday! She also lent it to her BFF to read and I've heard lot of discussion going on about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now