Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of parenting survival guide How To Talk So Little Kids Will Listen

(56 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jan-17 14:56:57

We gave away 50 copies of How To Talk So Little Kids Will Listen - a guide full of communication strategies for parenting children aged 2-7.

From the widely-acclaimed series that brought us How To Talk So Kids Will Listen comes a guide with all-new content on how to survive specifically with littler ones. Organised according to everyday conflicts and including the series' trademark cartoons, How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen is a survival manual of communication tools, to help you out in those more challenging moments.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free book to take part in the discussion - you're welcome to grab a copy of How To Talk So Little Kids Will Listen and post a review on this thread.

Everyone who posts detailed feedback on the book by midday Monday 20 March will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

FreiasBathtub Mon 30-Jan-17 15:03:26

I'd like to enter, but the link seems to be broken? Says 'The page you were looking for doesn't exist' (not even the missing Mumsnet biscuit!)

AlanaIsMyAlterEgo Mon 30-Jan-17 15:06:29

Same problem here!

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jan-17 15:22:41

Sorry about that folks - should be working now!

Amaksy Mon 30-Jan-17 15:28:28

I have applied but please consider me, my son will be 2 in April!!

FreiasBathtub Mon 30-Jan-17 16:03:36

Thanks Sorcha! Applied.

janeyf1 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:27:27

Wish the book had been around a few years ago, very helpful idea

iut044 Sat 04-Feb-17 12:13:48

I wish I had it when my children was younger .

Cailin7 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:57:31

This book looks really different and helpful.

user1485629191 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:33:25

I feel sometimes as a parent I'm just 'there' not really engaging with them then elect them to listen to me when I talk. This book has lots of new and fresh ideas to help with the interaction of little children, without any patronising overtones!

sbruin1122 Mon 06-Feb-17 00:04:37

Looks v useful!!

sweir1 Tue 07-Feb-17 22:35:44

I'm about halfway through - great read so far

jacqui5366 Sun 12-Feb-17 09:44:49

I have finally had time to finish this, it really makes you think again about parenting, understanding and interacting, I have become more empathetic and less stressed after reading this, I have asked my husband to read this as he finds being a parent much more difficult to manage, I have seen some raised eyebrows and 'hmmms' and thoughtful glances. I am hoping that the energies in my home will be calmer and happier after putting the theory into practice.

wallers5 Sun 19-Feb-17 11:56:11

Thanks so much for the very appropriate book. My 2 girls being just 7 & 5 & the 5 year old now is a strong character & assertive! My favourite sentence is' Survival is all we are striving for here. Work out solutions together'. I do try & do that but it does not always work. I think all husbands should read it! Its a great read & good for that specific age group, although a lot of common sense is used. A well thought out book with good ideas. We are not alone!

grannybiker Sun 19-Feb-17 12:40:02

A very useful parenting guide packed with practical tips and relevant examples that demonstrate true respect towards both the parent and child.
Backed up by research, yet still very readable

AllMimsyWereThey Sun 19-Feb-17 14:20:09

I haven't read all the book yet, but so far what I have read has been incredibly useful and informative. I have a copy of "How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk", but I think this one is actually more accessible to me- I have a 6 and 4 year old and even in the last 48 hours have been able to implement some of the suggestions from this book to great effect. Thank you Mumsnet for promoting this!

jandoc Wed 22-Feb-17 13:00:39

my child hasn't read this one just yet

janeyf1 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:15:57

So helpful, could have done with this book years ago

TracyKNixon Wed 22-Feb-17 13:21:16

You know one of those books that makes you want to buy twenty of them and give them to people you know, as well as random strangers? Well, this is one of these. Excellent, practical and balenced advice for kids of 4+, urging parents to teach their children responsibility, get theem to do stuff without nagging and most of all share their true selves with their children. Please read it, it will change your life.

mooota1514 Wed 22-Feb-17 14:46:35

I have applied but please consider me, my son will be 2 in April!!

beckyinman Wed 22-Feb-17 19:42:33

I have a queue of people wanting to read this now - it's very sensible, pragmatic and easy to read. And rammed full of useful nuggets that I will use

stewaris Wed 22-Feb-17 19:46:12

I read this out of curiosity more than anything, my children are all older than 7, and how I wish this had been out a few years ago. How I wish I'd had such a useful book and the strategies and suggestions are all practical and relevant to parenting. I've already used and adapted them to my own children successfully, apart from my 13 year old who just asked me if I was okay and was there anythingshe could do for me!

phillie1 Thu 23-Feb-17 09:22:48

wish this had been around when my kids were this age - had some very useful advice

user1486895041 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:09:56

I would love a copy of this book as I have a 4 and a half year old son, a 3 and a half year old daughter and a 16 month old daughter. Both myself and my husband struggle with them listening to us and I struggle with depression and could use some advice on coping mechanisms.

sweir1 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:39:31

Great story. Thoroughly enjoying it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now