Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of The Food of Love by Amanda Prowse

(87 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Jan-17 13:10:44

Introducing… Amanda Prowse and her latest novel, The Food of Love. Read Amanda's Q&A to find out how the author keeps her fiction true to life.

Freya Braithwaite has a lot to feel lucky about - happily married for 19 years to a man who still excites her, two beautiful teenage daughters, and her dream career as a health-food writer.

But nothing could have prepared Freya for the devastating impact of her youngest daughter Lexi's struggle with eating disorders. She will do all she can to save her family, but how can she when food is both the problem and the solution?

Inspired by Amanda's own extreme struggle with body image and a family history of eating disorders, this is a powerful look at the challenge of raising teenagers in our image-conscious society.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free book to take part in the discussion - you're welcome to grab a copy of The Food of Love and post a review on this thread.

Everyone who posts detailed feedback on the book by midday Monday 13 March will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Lake Union

glenka Sun 29-Jan-17 07:28:40

This sounds like it is going to be a very emotional book to read.

janeyf1 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:13:18

Everyone with growing pains and tricky relationships with food should read this. I too struggled as a teenager and isolated myself with the issue, keeping it a secret. Reading this novel at the time would have been a powerful help

iut044 Sun 29-Jan-17 12:11:06

Sound like a good interesting read

blondie123c Sun 29-Jan-17 14:00:27

sounds a very interesting read as I too suffered from body image and eating disorders

emmmaaa26 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:35:52

I love reading books that have real relatable issues in them, makes the book a more interesting read.

stewaris Sun 29-Jan-17 17:37:30

My daughter went through a period when she said she was too fat but was anything but. It would be interesting to read this from the teens perspective as I sometimes think I'm too close and worry too much.

Lauzipop1 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:29

I read this book after being sent it by Netgalley and although it initially took me a while to get into the story I was completely drawn in by Lexi's struggle with anorexia. What moved me the most was the struggle and emotions that were demonstrated by her parents Freya and Sam, as well as the impact it had on her older sister Charlotte and her relationship with her parents.

As Lexi's condition progresses through the book it actually got me wondering how I would deal with the situation if I were in Freya's shoes. It worried me so much I actually questioned dd about her views on anorexia and other issues raised in the book.

Alongside the narrative of how the anorexia progresses the letters that are written by Lexi's family also pull on the heartstrings and really in my case did make me question myself. Parts of the books also highlight how heartless teenagers can be in regards to others' physical appearance and it did make me feel uncomfortable. However, I could not put the book down. I was desperate to see how thinks would end for Freya and the Braithewaites and I would 100% wholeheartedly recommend this book. Truly an amazing job by Amanda Prowse.

Lauzipop1 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:03:09

Eeek should have written Lockie instead of Sam - thinking of the current book I'm reading.

Cailin7 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:04:02

sounds like an interesting read fingers crossed

Sid98 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:45:02

Seems intriguing

RACHELSMITH45 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:19:14

sounds a great read but an emotional one!

sbruin1122 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:53:43

Looking forward to reading this one!

bugzie92 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:50:44

I thought this book was FAB! eating disorders are such a devasting thing in today's day and age, and following the story and how it all unravelled from a sufferers point of view was a real eye opener. It also showed how it effects other members of the family, a must read for some very relevant issues we face today x

jacqui5366 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:00:19

I finished reading the book, and would say it may be a difficult read for some people as it deals with the topic of anorexia, the character in the book Lexi, and her families battle and sheer desperation over this illness, how it effected the family, and how poor Charlotte the sister had to see her parents give Lexi all their attention, and how it affected her life too. I can imagine the author of the book did a lot of research into how anorexia takes over a families life, as indeed any illness does, it is a hard read, but I feel well worth it, but stress again for any family affected by any illness, especially that of a child, it is a difficult read. Thank you.

Strawberryshortcake40 Mon 30-Jan-17 15:40:30

I was inspired to download this book today after these few reviews.

As a mother of an anorexic daughter who has recently relapsed, it was a stunningly accurate portrayal. There were moments in the book that I was sure the author plucked from scenes in my own kitchen! I read it in one sitting, whilst crying a lot of the time and reliving moments that were brought back to me.

But far from being saddened by it, I'm uplifted to see something written so well about a subject so many shy away from (or write inaccurately about). I can only assume the author has first hand knowledge of how devastating this illness is and I hope her "Lexi" has fully recovered.

It's a tough read for anyone who has been there, but a brilliant one for anyone who has never quite understood eating disorders and the effect they have on families.

sweir1 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:34:58

I really struggled with this. It really hit home how lucky I am.

tworonnies1957 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:52:05

received my free prize copy today really looking forward to reading it after some of posts posted here

HollyJollyDillydolly Fri 03-Feb-17 17:41:35

Thank you for my copy of The Food Of Love. I've finished it already!
This is the first book by Amanda Prowse I've read before but it definitely won't be the last. Really easy and enjoyable to read.

The books seems to have been very well researched showing the great lengths anorexia sufferers go to to conceal their illness and the effect it has on all the family. It also shows it not as simple as telling someone they have to eat as the father eventually comes to realise.

My only criticism really is that I would have liked to read more of Lexis journey before we get to read the epilogue. Overall I really enjoyed the book.

cathyov Mon 06-Feb-17 14:24:36

My copy arrived in time for a weekend read and I could not put it down. Amanda Prowse has a totally believable style of writing and several of the scenes could have been in my household with sisters being best friends one minute and hating each other the next, the belief that one sister is loved more than the other, the storming upstairs and slamming into their bedroom and so on.

But whilst I have three daughters, I have to date been spared the eating disorders, and it was emotionally demanding reading what an impact it had on such a tightly knit family. Like Freya I think I would have denied it to start with and thought I could sort the problem out because we are their mums and know best, which made it extra depressing to see Lexi's downward journey.

I loved the idea if ever they were parted they would send notes to each other and those left by each individual member of the family were tear jerking. I was almost glad we were spared the experience of Lexi's time in the psychiatric facility of Morningside as I am sure it would have been one horror story after another and totally harrowing.

In summary the book gave a realistic insight of just what an effect an eating disorder can have on a seemingly happy family. Well done Amanda Prowse!

wallers5 Tue 07-Feb-17 06:53:07

What an amazing book. So emotional. So enlightening. I normally don't read this type of book but once I started I could not put it down. I had to get to the end of it to see if Lexi survived. It is so humanly written. You feel for all the family. A must read for all mothers. Perhaps especially with daughters. I won't forget such a compelling & heart-wrenching story interspersed with some good food ideas! I am full of praise for Amanda Prowse handling the situation with such tenderness.

jonniesmum Wed 08-Feb-17 09:11:31

Such an emotional and poignant read. This book deals with a subject we should all be aware of but the insight into eating disorders is amazing. Can't stop thinking about the characters.

starlight36 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:19:58

Wow - what an emotional read. I finished this yesterday and can't stop thinking about how well-written it was. As a mother it was easy to relate to Freya's guilt as she is faced with the extent of Lexi's illness. The author is particularly good at describing how each member of the family is affected by anorexia 'arriving' into their home. I think the initial stage of denial is one that most of us would go through. I have family relatives who have suffered from both anorexia and bulimia and parts of the book were very difficult to read. I was literally reading passages with tears streaming down my face. The book was well researched - I'll definitely look out for more by this author.

Lilaclily Sat 11-Feb-17 18:57:46

Loved this, such a poingnant subject, well written, am now ordering her other books through the library
Thanks for the free copy

grannybiker Sat 11-Feb-17 23:08:25

I read this after reading Perfect Daughter by Amanda Prowse, (Another great read BTW, ;) !) I couldn't help feeling deeply sad as I read this. So accurate in the insight into the way an eating disorder affects everyone in the family. As a Mum, I found it quite harrowing at times

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now