We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of children's book Marge and the Pirate Baby by Isla Fisher

(68 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Jan-17 14:58:36

We gave away 50 copies of Marge and the Pirate Baby, a children's book with three hilarious tales of mayhem perfect for readers aged five to seven.

Marge is back! And this time there's a baby on the loose. Meet Zara, the naughty little cousin, who never sleeps and loves to steal treasure. Marge thinks she's a pirate and maybe she's right. But will the imaginative babysitter be on her best behaviour?

We ask all winners to share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - if you've read Marge and the Pirate Baby anyway, you can post a review it on this thread.

Everyone who posts detailed feedback on the book by midday Tuesday 7 March will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Piccadilly Press

runningwithbob Tue 31-Jan-17 12:39:26

Thank you very much for the book which arrived today. Knowing my son it will all be read by the end of the day (he's a bookworm just like his Mum) so we will aim to post our feedback shortly. Thanks again.

boo2410 Wed 01-Feb-17 07:17:30

Thank you very much for my book. We read half of it last night, it really is very funny. The way Jemima narrates the story, her choice of words are exactly right for the age group, especially the way she describes things Jakeypants (her younger brother) has done. I'm sure the other half of the book will be equally as funny. Definitely a good addition to the book shelf. I shall certainly be buying the first book and will look out for others that's Isla Fisher may write in the future.

wallers5 Thu 02-Feb-17 07:50:56

Thank you for the delightful book. My six year old has started reading & loves the jokes & the drawings so cleverly done. All children seem to like to read about naughty kids as in the naughty little cousin. Family fun adventures are just the thing & I am glad to have discovered the author Isla Fisher.

boo2410 Thu 02-Feb-17 09:26:17

Following on from my post above, one word to describe the book - fantastic!!! The capers were great fun and had us both chuckling. Have now got to go out and get the first book, although I know this one will be read again!!

Enidblyton1 Thu 02-Feb-17 09:31:56

I read this book with my 5 year old last week. The language is perfect for this age group and lots of slapstick humour. Marge is a wonderful character - just the kind of babysitter every child wishes they could have. A really fun read!

hobbska Sun 05-Feb-17 08:30:59

Thanks so much for the book, what a lovely surprise! My 7 year old started reading it last night and loved it! His favourite part so far is where the baby spilt the juice (so he tells me!). I will read some with him today so I can see what it is like too. Thanks again and I will post some more feedback when I have read some too!

purplepandas Sun 05-Feb-17 08:42:43

DD aged 7 devoured this in one evening before bed. She found it really funny. The best bit was when the girl dived in ( I have not read it so her words). Thank you for choosing us, a huge success here! I will look out for some other Isla Fisher books as the first one DD has read.

cavylover Sun 05-Feb-17 16:43:37

Entertaining read full of humour and fun. Can imagine there will be many more books to come in the series with this one being the second book. Plenty more opportunities for stories in the future. Many thanks.

hobbska Mon 06-Feb-17 12:57:26

I have read the first little story, what an imagination Isla Fisher has! Great book, it's actually pretty entertaining for adults to read too!

Radley1 Mon 06-Feb-17 13:17:53

We received our copy last week many thanks .My 5 year old and I have been reading the three stories together over the past 7 days and I'm happy to say big hit so much so that she has asked if she can use her pocket
money to go to the bookshop for more . This is our first book by Isla Fisher
and obviously not our last The books are full of humour and mischief
and ideal for this age group

Leeds2 Mon 06-Feb-17 14:48:50

Marge and the Pirate Baby was received by me last week, and is already a big hit in the school library where I volunteer. It is the second book in the series (i haven't read the first) by actress Isla Fisher about the pint sized, rainbow haired adventurer Marge who can also talk to animals. It is full of lovely drawings by Eglantine Ceulemans and is three separate stories, ideal for children who are just starting to read chapter books by themselves. Full of humour and is sure to be a big hit.

skippink Mon 06-Feb-17 17:59:21

Thank you for our copy of the book. My daughter has just finished reading it and she throughly enjoyed it. My daughter is 6 years old and the book was perfect for her age group. She found the book very funny especially the lost treasure story when they had gone swimming and they got ready on a tree. I'm positive that this book will be read numerous times. Thank you again for our free copy.

Larnipoo Mon 06-Feb-17 18:39:43

What a lovely book. My 9 year old devoured it. Lovely large font, great illustrations and fundamentally a wonderful story - good job Isla!

polo3 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:06:06

My 7 year old son absolutely loved the book, he read it in one day.
He told me it was really funny and recommended it to his 8 year old sister.

hanliying Mon 06-Feb-17 20:38:29

According to my 6 years old who finishes the book in about a week, it is a fun book and easy to read. He told me that it is an adventure story and super fun!

Rjslater76 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:44:12

This is a very funny read. My 7 year old daughter devoured it quickly but we're now reading it together every evening. I love the way jemima tells the story and as my daughter has a little brother, it really is very realistic and true to the relationship. As for Marge, she is larger than life and full story f funny ideas. A great book for children.

busterj Mon 06-Feb-17 20:53:38

Thank you so much for this book ,my daughter has been reading it and its so nice to hear her laughing out loud to this wonderful story that is so funny ! The little girl who lives next door wants it when we are finished with it so we will pass it on ,

Kt12x Mon 06-Feb-17 21:14:10

Thank you for the book, we have read the first story and my children seemed to enjoy it x

skettle57 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:32:04

Fantastic book! My daughters are 8 and 6, and they were so excited when the book arrived – immediately drawn by the great cover illustrations, (including Marge's fabulous rainbow hair) and the mention of pirates. We are 40 pages in and have all thoroughly enjoyed Zara's antics so far, and Isla Fisher's wonderful descriptions via Jemima, the narrator. We will definitely be buying the other book in the series.

0ryx Mon 06-Feb-17 22:53:23

We are enjoying it so far. Finding it full of lighthearted giggles and lovely personality! Marge is a wonderful adventurer, and I aspire to capture the hearts of children like she does!

Sunflower22 Tue 07-Feb-17 09:28:09

This book has the potential to become an absolute favourite. Thank you.

rosybell Tue 07-Feb-17 09:56:14

My 5 year old is really enjoying this book, he usually ends up laughing hysterically at baby Zara, and even talks about it the next day! A brilliant read for children, will definitely get the previous book in this series.

searchingforcalm Tue 07-Feb-17 10:11:41

The day the book arrived, I sat down with my son to read the first of the three adventures. At first, I wasn't sure if it would capture his attention. He is only just 5 and more used to picture books; it was only the mention of pirates that persuaded him to give it a try. He did complain that the pictures weren't coloured in though! To my surprise, he did listen to the whole of the first story and found it funny. He particularly liked the bit where Marge falls asleep in the baby's pram. What was particularly good for us is that he has an older sister and younger cousins and so could easily relate to the characters, which were very well drawn. I found the stories amusing and, in many ways, similar to the My Naughty Little Sister stories with Zara's, Jake's and Marge's antics narrated by the little girl Jemima who reminded me of my own daughter.

That evening, my husband read part of the second story to my son. Unfortunately, my husband did not enjoy it quite as much and found it a little unexciting. I then passed the book on to my daughter who, at 9, is a little older than the target audience. She enjoyed it and said it was "humorous".

To sum up, I think this is a nice introduction to chapter books for children aged 5 - 7 and possibly a little older. My children's cousins are sure to enjoy it in the future. Thank you for our copy.

Firewall Tue 07-Feb-17 14:59:40

My six year old found it very accessible to his reading level. He was able to read it all without my help. He was thoroughly entertained throughout. He found it very funny and cheeky. Just the sort of book he enjoys reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now