Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

Find out what Mumsnetters thought of children's book Jake Atlas and the Tomb of the Emerald Snake

(62 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Jan-17 12:53:03

Jake Atlas and the Tomb of the Emerald Snake is an action-packed adventure for 8-year-olds and over. If you or your child have read it, post your feedback here.

Jake and twin sister Pan's lives take a dramatic turn the day they discover the truth about their seemingly boring Mum and Dad. On a family holiday to Cairo, Jake and Pan's parents mysteriously vanish and it's up to the twins to find them. Cue action and adventure amid the pyramids!

We ask all winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - if you've read Jake Atlas anyway, you can post a review it on this thread.

Everyone who posts detailed feedback on the book by the end of day Monday 27 February will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Walker Books

RueDeWakening Mon 09-Jan-17 12:57:43

Done, thanks! Sounds like it'd be right up DD's street grin

incogKNEEto Mon 09-Jan-17 13:32:42

Done, sounds like a book my dd would enjoy.

Leeds2 Wed 11-Jan-17 14:15:21

Done.

clairedunphy Wed 11-Jan-17 14:22:24

Done, I'm looking for good reads for my 8 year old, this sounds great.

Adelie0404 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:26:28

Always looking for new books for my DD. Can't keep up with her reading!

Susangilley7 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:32:27

Just received my copy. Thanks Mumsnet. My 9 year old (nearly 10 she will say) granddaughter is a great reader and she loves mysteries. So thanks again and I will let you know her thoughts.

henryscatoscar Wed 25-Jan-17 11:58:30

our son is getting into this. about the right level to keep interest and a decent story. thanks

kateandme Sat 28-Jan-17 08:56:55

great story both to read to and with the youngster.and I love the way the cover has both boy and girl on the front so it calls to both gendres

bernie77 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:22:51

What a dreadful book, it took an age (about 100 pages) before it engaged my attention and then these 2 obnoxious kids managed to destroy Egypt almost single handedly. I grant that they didn't intend to do these things but they weren't exactly heroic or intelligent in their undertakings, simply lurching from one crisis to the next. It wasn't so much that, but it's just so shallow, these monumental events occurred and they shrugged them off without a backward glance, and their parents were even worse, for people who were supposedly egyptologists, their indifference to the ruin was weird. I had intended to pass it on to my niece (that's why I applied for it, after all) but I'm reluctant to do so, as I don't believe she'll learn anything useful from the experience. Where is the feel good factor that should come from reading a book of derring do!

Lewsam74 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:26:57

Book received and started with my 10 year old son. Just getting into the story......

RuthCart Tue 31-Jan-17 09:44:56

This looks just like the perfect read for my son. He's looking forward to getting stuck into it at the weekend.

ozgirl74 Tue 31-Jan-17 09:50:46

Received this last week and my daughter was all over it when she saw it on the table. It's writing style is completely different and she is so excited that there is an Egyptian theme. So far it's all positive but will write again when she is further in.

Susangilley7 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:40:58

My 9 year old granddaughter loves this book. The Egyptian theme fits in with school work and she is truly enthralled with it. She loves a mystery and this fits the bill all round. Thank you once again Mumsnet.

Yulia123 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:06:58

received the book thank you. interesting from the start

Mumofazoo Wed 01-Feb-17 11:34:35

Received the book and my 8yr old dd is enjoying it so far. She keeps telling me little snippets of it but will give a full update when she has finished it.

SnapCackleFlop Sat 04-Feb-17 16:15:29

I'm currently reading a chapter each night with my two children (ages 6 and 11). I'm finding it slightly annoying and not very well written but the children are enjoying it so far and look forward to hearing what happens next.

I'll post again when we've finished.

SarahatCraftInvaders Sat 04-Feb-17 19:26:02

Thanks for sending us a copy of Jake Atlas and the Tomb of the Emerald Snake. Both my daughter 9, and son 11 have now read it. Although I didn't read it myself, it was clear both my kids found the story engrossing, (simply by the fact they were so focused on the book until it was finished - we caught my son reading it at midnight!), as well as them both wanting to read random bits out to us because they found it funny.

The 9 yr old says she 'liked the book, her favourite part was the bit in the hot air balloon, when Jake bungeed out of it. Some bits were scary and she didn't understand all the words. She would recommend it to people who are adventurous, and don't mind gross stuff!' She also suggests to the author that the twins should have a pet (a dog or a bird) in the next one.'

The 11 yr old says he 'thought the book was gripping, that he didn't know what was going to happen next and he liked the ending which left some things unanswered - overall a great story and he would be interested in reading more from the same author'.

Thanks again, Sarah smile

missytilley Sun 05-Feb-17 12:54:53

I've personally not read it but my 8yr old Nephew did He said it was exciting he loved the daring hunts the mummies and thought the gadgets sounded cool One of his classmates wants to borrow it now

LyndseyC21 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:50:19

My 13 year old Goddaughter read this after I had. I thought it was great and really enjoyed it. I thought it was easy to grasp and well written as a 12 1/2 (!) year old.

My goddaughter wrote this review for me about her thoughts "The main characters are Jake Atlas, a 12 ½ year old boy, who finds himself in a lot of trouble. Pandora his twin sister, is a clever person who gets bullied because of it. Jane and John, their parents who aren’t as boring as the children believe. Sami and Kit, the parent’s friends of old. The snake lady who holds the key to any secrets.

This story is narrated by Jake Atlas, this gives the story some texture, as it gives the reader to thoughts and feelings of a 12-year-old boy, with a lot to process. He and his family go on holiday to Egypt, but then his parents go missing, so he and his sister, Pandora, team up with their parent’s old friends Sami and Kit to find out where they have gone. Along the way, they find out many secrets.

The story describes Egypt in such detail, I felt I could picture it well.

The story covers about four days in the families’ lives and centres on how much love they have for each other, even when they don’t show it. As the story unfolds, the relationship between the characters changes, as they start off not seemingly very close, but end up a family unit.

I like the dramatic start to the story, it makes you want to find out what will happen next right from the beginning. I enjoyed seeing all the different parts link up at the end, giving me a chance to be a detective and work out what was happening.

I would read and recommend this book and others written by this author because I liked the suspense."

midi1975 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:03:35

C. (girl 9) and L. boy (6) just didn't take to this. They didn't particularly like Jake and soon lost interest in the plot. C., however did like it that there was a girl character, but this did not continue to hold her interest.
It remains unfinished.
You can't win them all!

merliquin Tue 07-Feb-17 20:07:47

DS (7) was not particularly excited when I said I had a new book for him to read (although he is an avid reader). However, when the book arrived he was desperate to start reading it - the cover image and blurb had him excited! He was in the middle of another book so we rushed through that so we could start Jake as soon as possible... We are about 5 chapters in but are both enjoying the plot and characters so far. What has DS enjoyed? The naughty but nice Jake is fun and exciting; Egypt, mummies etc. are intriguing, techy references (& Nando's!) are relatable and the end-of-chapter cliff-hangers mean he ALWAYS wants to read another chapter. In addition, I like the short chapters as we can easily grab a few minutes of quiet to read a chapter together.

Will update once we've finished the book...

SuzCG Wed 08-Feb-17 10:06:47

Thanks Mumsnet & Walker Books for our copy of this book.

I quickly read this before passing it to my 10 year old son - history mad so I thought this would be right up his street, and it was! It's a fast paced story (bit mad at times) and packed with action with a fun main character. Don't expect kids to learn any great lessons from it - it's not deep & thought provoking - but hey, sometimes I just like to read for fun too - and reading is reading with kids as far as I'm concerned. I liked the fact it was a traditional adventure story (think Indiana Jones) but that it has been modernised and made to appeal to today's kids with some really cool gadgets along the way (that would give Young James Bond a run for his money). Absolutely nothing offensive in it, which is great.
Even better, because the cover has a girl on the front too (Jake's sister) my 8 year old daughter is looking forward to her brother letting her read it when he finishes it for the second time!
Might not be everyone's cup of tea - but honest feedback from our home is : a good fun read, 4.5/5.

Mindy08 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:36:50

My 8 year old son loved this book as did I, except for the reckless behaviour of Jake, probably why my son loved it so much.

My son can't wait to read the next installment and loved the fact that Jake and Pandora get to explore and play with cool gadgets.

So glad that I won the book to read as I don't think my son would have picked this up from the library. It has opened up a whole new genre for him.

chrissie66 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:36:16

DD was not particularly impressed when we received this book. We read the prologue together but so far it doesn't seem to have grabbed her interest in order to continue reading. I think for a, (just turned), 8 year old the story and the plot is quite complex and would appeal much more to older children/teenagers. I will keep the book for her to read at a later date. Having said all this, it was lovely to receive a free book so thank you to Mumsnet and Walker books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now