Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

If you've read The Victoria Letters, let us know your feedback on the book - post by 3 January for a chance to win £100 Love2shop voucher

(95 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Nov-16 15:36:54

Were you gripped by ITV's Victoria? Intrigued by the life and letters of this fascinating royal? Then this is the giveaway is for you - we've got 50 copies of the show's official companion The Victoria Letters! Find out more.

In The Victoria Letters, Helen Rappaport delves into the private writings of the young Queen Victoria, painting a vivid picture of the life of one of England's greatest monarchs. Full of beautiful photography from the series and original images from the era, this book allows us an inside look at the girl behind the Queen.

We ask all the giveaway winners to share their thoughts about the book on this discussion thread. But you don't have to have won a free copy - anyone who has read The Victoria Letters can post their feedback here (and you can buy the book now).

If you've read The Victoria Letters, post your feedback on the book by 3 January to be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by HarperCollins

blitzgirl Fri 18-Nov-16 19:37:59

Done! Loved the show and was fascinated by the Victorian era at school, so this is right up my street!

highlandcoo Sat 19-Nov-16 00:33:42

Would love to receive a copy! Victorian fiction is my absolute favourite .. I focused on it for my MA and enjoyed studying the history of the period at the same time. This book sounds excellent.

FoxInABox Thu 24-Nov-16 23:18:07

Loved the series, I adored history at school and would love to know more about queen Victoria.

remroux89 Sat 03-Dec-16 13:17:59

Received my prize copy today. Can't wait to start reading it!

booface Sun 04-Dec-16 21:34:20

So pleased to receive my prize copy yesterday! Really looking to curling up by the fire and reading it! Loved the TV series and eager to learn more about Queen Vitoria.

booface Thu 08-Dec-16 07:48:12

So I've started my copy! It is really interesting to see the background to what we heard about in the TV series. Fascinating to read young Victoria's own words in here letters and also learn about her childhood at Kensington Palace. Anyone else started the book?

henryscatoscar Thu 08-Dec-16 11:03:38

what a great book! got a free copy but would definitely have bought one. its of great quality and a cracking read. We both watched the TV series and really got into it.

purplepandas Fri 09-Dec-16 15:48:06

I bought this as no free copy sadly. I loved it but have always loved history around Victoria and her reign anyway. I particularly loved seeing the letters and the info about her childhood. Gripping stuff.

SciFiFan Sat 10-Dec-16 17:41:39

Received my copy and agree that it is an amazing book. My only negative so far is that I find the font that has been used for some of the letters very difficult to read and that has impeded my enjoyment of the book as a whole.

libra101 Sun 11-Dec-16 18:59:32

Thank you for sending my free copy of The Victoria Letters, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. It was interesting reading about the Queen's early years, her relationships with her mother and others, and the developing relationship with Albert, whom she adored immensely.

The book brings character to a historic figure who always seemed aloof and serious. 'I am not amused' is a phrase often attributed to Queen Victoria, yet the book shows a more 'human' side to a woman who at an incredibly young age, became ruler of the UK and commonwealth.

The colour pictures are beautiful and I loved seeing prints of Victoria's scrawling copper-plate handwriting, which is quite difficult to read. It was interesting reading about the dress materials, crowns, the number of servants employed at Buckingham Palace, along with all the other costs of running a royal household.

It's a book you can read a little at a time, or a more lengthy read and become thoroughly absorbed in the period and history. A book to perfectly accompany the TV series, or as a stand-alone read.

Can't think of anything negative to say, but would recommend reading.

busymummy0411 Sun 11-Dec-16 21:01:43

I received a copy of this book and it is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and now want to find the tv series. Being critical, a little more historical detail and a little less scenes from the series would be preferred, but that's a personal preference. It is well laid out and I intend to buy another two copies as gifts.

katiebasey Tue 20-Dec-16 16:06:56

Thank you so much for my copy of this book, gorgeous looking book, watched the TV series which I thoroughly enjoyed and book was a very nice added extra. The colour pictures are beautiful, a very good read, have bought a copy for a friend as a Christmas present. Passed my copy onto my mum who is now engrossed in it. Would definitely recommend.

schusc Tue 20-Dec-16 16:08:21

I received my free copy so thanks very much smile

A lovely presented book and wonderful to read just such a pity Princess Beatrice, the Queens youngest daughter took it upon herself to rewrite her mother's journals and dairies so one wonders exactly what is fact or fiction.

1john Tue 20-Dec-16 17:46:53

Victoria's Letters is a great accompaniment to the TV series, lavishly illustrated with modern photographs and period illustrations.

Everhopeful1 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:25:13

A fab book for anyone who loved the series on TV. Plenty of pics of behind the scenes. Also some more insight into Victoria via her personal letters - an easy to enjoy add on to the series. I don't think many would be disappointed with this book unless they wanted a really in depth historical book. It would make a great pressie.

hobbska Wed 21-Dec-16 09:21:02

Thank you so much for my free copy! I am about three quarters of the way through and I love it. It is so absorbing and the perfect compliment to the TV series. Lovely photos and so well put together. 5 stars from me!

elizaco Wed 21-Dec-16 09:37:31

Received this lovely book a couple of weeks ago, and the whole family have enjoyed dipping in and out of it. Would be perfect as a gift or to keep yourself.

Persistentdonor Wed 21-Dec-16 09:48:05

Many thanks for the gift of this beautiful and informative book. I have enjoyed revisiting the TV series which I thoroughly enjoyed.
This book is easy to read and most enlightening about many aspects of Queen Victoria's life and times.
However, some readers may be disappointed that the lavish illustrations are almost entirely stills taken from the TV series.

Larnipoo Wed 21-Dec-16 10:02:40

What a beautiful book. Wonderful annotations, riveting read with beautiful illustrations and photos.

hilaryjoyh Wed 21-Dec-16 10:04:21

Beautiful book - I didn't watch the series but now planning to do so if it is still available. My mum also loved the book which was very informative.

Anj123 Wed 21-Dec-16 11:35:31

Thank you for my book. I haven't started reading yet but am looking forward to over the Christmas holidays 😀

Pigeonpea Wed 21-Dec-16 21:52:33

Truly beautiful book - I've loved reading it. The illustrations are nice, and represent the TV show this book supports. My Mum has spied it and has requested it after me

Thank you for this

Elizatoria Thu 22-Dec-16 21:30:45

Got my copy about a week ago which was a lovely surprise. I have nearly finished reading it and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have found out things about Victoria that I did not know before and have enjoyed seeing events through her eyes via her letters. It is an accessible and well organised read that my family and friends are queuing up to borrow when I finish. It is full of colourful pictures , both original paintings and art work alongside stills from the fabulous television series on which the book is based. I am hoping that the authors continue to look at her life both on screen and through the medium of books as Victoria was a fascinating monarch and woman. Thank you again for sending me a copy.

debjani Sat 24-Dec-16 06:46:47

Great surprise to get this book as I hadn't received a notification email! My children loved the series and love history so this is a great book for them. But I had hoped there would be more illustrations from the period and not so many from the TV series

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now