Please don't promote book giveaways here. If you'd like to discuss book giveaways on Mumsnet, contactus@mumsnet.com

If you or your child have read The Girl Who Saved Christmas, let us know your feedback - post by 31 December for a chance to win a £100 Love2shop voucher

(78 Posts)
SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Nov-16 15:37:47

This week we're giving away a magical Christmassy tale from bestselling author, Matt Haig. Apply for a copy now.

This is the story of the first ever Christmas morning. Father Christmas' powers are fading and one special girl has gone missing - the only girl who can save the day.

We've got 50 copies of The Girl Who Saved Christmas up for grabs - head to the giveaway page to apply. This book is recommended for ages 7 - 12.

We ask all winners to share their thoughts (and their children's thoughts) about the book on this discussion thread. However, you don't have to win a free copy to take part in the discussion - anyone who has read The Girl Who Saved Christmas can post their thoughts on it here.

Everyone who posts feedback on the book on this thread before 31 December will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Canongate

ScarlettDarling Tue 01-Nov-16 22:32:49

My 9 year old dd would devour this book, swiftly followed by her 12 year old brother! Hope we're chosen.

Trooperslane Mon 07-Nov-16 15:36:05

I'd love it!

WhatevsBob Tue 22-Nov-16 12:34:53

Thanks for my copy Mumsnet!

I started reading this to my kids two days ago. They are 5 and 7 and are both completely entranced. We love that there is a whole elf community at the North Pole with schools and night shifts. I'm hoping that I can time it so we finish it on Christmas Eve as that would be perfect.

I then read the book once the kids were asleep. It covers a range of emotions sensitively and in an age appropriate way. It is also very funny and rips along at a grand old pace. I absolutely loved it and I know it will keep the kids engaged right to the end. Five stars from us!

purplepandas Tue 29-Nov-16 07:37:52

I had to remove this from sensitive DD age 7 as she was distraught at the death of both parents. had I known I would not have let her read it at bedtime. she has known a lot of deaths (sibling and v close uncle) so a bit too sad and close to home sadly.

Kiwirose Wed 30-Nov-16 22:52:32

This book is absolutely magical and the writing is wonderful with fantastic adverbs and adjectives (can you tell I have primary school aged children??????). I loved the rich characters, even the way the bad Mr Creeper is described. I have to confess that I read it myself first to make sure it didn't spoil Christmas in anyway for my 7 year old twins who still believe - it doesn't. My daughter loves the pictures and they are both entranced so far.

I think this book could be enjoyed by a wide range of ages (including adults). I have gone out to buy "a boy called Christmas" and have bought this book as a birthday present for 2 of the kids at school.

It is wonderful - you can't go wrong. But like purple says the girl in the story is an orphan and her mum does die in the book. My children don't dwell on that though because so much else happens.

BlackSusie2004 Mon 05-Dec-16 22:28:16

I started to read this myself when it arrived in the post and decided to keep it that way as I think it may have upset my stepdaughter. It is set in a different era, when children were treated badly and it was not so unusual to become an orphan, which I thought a little but much for a 6 year old.
Saying that, I found the book heartwarming and will be very happy for SD to read it in 4 or 5 years time.

Wizotto Tue 06-Dec-16 20:08:38

Thanks for the review copy Mumsnet. I have not read it yet, but DD 8 yrs has. Her review is as follows: she did not really like the first half of the book because it was a bit childish and boring. She thought it talked about things you didn't really know. (Takes after me perhaps as I love plots above all.) The end got a lot more exciting as the main character was in the workhouse and she was trying to escape and it was not clear what was going to happen next. The best thing was that they were talking to you as the reader. She has scored it 7 out of 10.

queenoftheschoolrun Sat 10-Dec-16 13:40:14

My DD loved this book. She loves anything to do with Christmas and is an avid reader so I knew we'd be onto a winner! Here is her review:

With scary trolls, flying story pixies, hope and fun, this magical book is sure to send shivers up your spine! When Christmas very nearly goes wrong and there is a terrible need of hope AND it seems like Father Christmas is about to be eaten will he come to a nasty end...The Queen saves him by a letter once but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen again. Will there be enough hope to save Santa from suffering a nasty fate? This book will make your heart pound with excitement as you fly through the pages because this book is supertastically thrilling!

I think we can safely assume she enjoyed it! I will be getting a copy of A Boy called Christmas for her stocking. Thank you for our free copy.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Mon 19-Dec-16 03:45:39

Thank you for our copy of this book. I have been reading it to DD1 (nearly 6). We have both enjoyed it. It has been fun to read and it's been lovely to share a Christmas-themed book in December. It's a book that I will keep for DD2, but probably for when she's slightly older. A good book.

gillycard Mon 19-Dec-16 11:49:54

It was a wonderful surprise to received this in the post - thank you Mumsnet. We have been reading it at bedtime cuddled up in a duvet and the whole household is loving it.

Thank you for the book.

Nineloves1 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:31:13

Thank you for this book.
DD and I have been reading it together, not yet finished . She loves it. I will be looking out for The Boy Who Saved Christmas next year

RunningGingerFreckleyThing Mon 19-Dec-16 14:53:12

Thank you so much for the book.
We're reading it at bedtime but DD(7) is really enjoying it so far.

rachelkanga Mon 19-Dec-16 20:22:05

I am planning on giving this to one of my daughters for Christmas. I did read one of the authors adult books and enjoyed that so hoping my daughter will like this one.

Nineloves1 Tue 20-Dec-16 00:21:51

Strike that. We bought the Boy Called Christmas today, and have started reading it, to then move back onto our copy of Girl.

Jodunne Wed 21-Dec-16 09:46:36

I agree with many of the posts above. I really love the layout of the book and the illustrations. My 8 year old is enjoying the book so far but again it does cover some sad topics etc and we were both shocked at how nasty Mr Creeper was with the young chimney sweep girl, saying awful things about her mother and telling her why her father left. I would say the suitable age range for readers would be 10 years plus.

Mcstriving4leanie Wed 21-Dec-16 15:32:39

I was sent this amazing book by mumsnet books so thank you for that. My 11 yo son read it and said 'it was one of the best books I've ever read!' And he is a bookworm so that is high praise indeed. He loved how the plot unravelled at the end. He liked Amelia, Santa and Mary the most because they were so kind and stood up for their rights. He would give it 5 stars and would highly recommend it.

Larnipoo Wed 21-Dec-16 16:10:58

I didn't think that Matt Haig could top A Boy called Christmas but he certainly has with this fabulous tale beautifully illustrated by Chris Mould. Suitable for children and adults, a heart warming story.

Anitata Thu 22-Dec-16 23:04:57

I am loving this book. My 11 yr old son thinks its great as well. Im reading it to him so we can enjoy it together and talk about it as we go through it. Not got far atm but what we have read it is great and cant wait to read the rest. Defo recommend it to others. The story has captured us completly.

tandt5 Fri 23-Dec-16 23:30:58

Thank you so much for giving me and my daughter a chance to read this book.
We are reading together (she is reading a bit and then i read it to her) and we are in the middle of it. We love the illustrations and the layout, makes it even easier to engage.
And obviously it is a perfect timing to read it as it has Christmas theme.
Will update when we finish it which would be just after Christmas

TracyKNixon Mon 26-Dec-16 07:20:18

I didn't think that Matt Haig could top A Boy called Christmas but he certainly has with this fabulous tale beautifully illustrated by Chris Mould. Suitable for children and adults, a heart warming story.

glenka Mon 26-Dec-16 07:27:20

This sounds like a great book full of adventure.

jacqui5366 Mon 26-Dec-16 08:16:00

this book, I felt is not for everyone, my child is 9 and loved the book. it is thrilling and brings what could happen with any family, Santa has got so much to deal with, he cannot do his job, the world (as is has) has run out of magic. But in true Christmas style we have the just ending with help from the person who does not loose hope - a lesson to be learned there - do not give up hope, a good moral to instil into our children in the hard world they have to grow up in.

janeyf1 Mon 26-Dec-16 09:00:29

I have been enjoying reading the book to the little one, it is certainly keeping her engrossed

IonaAilidh11 Mon 26-Dec-16 10:48:25

great book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now